What's new

MZ Skorpion

Velofish

Member Number
Just wondering if anyone else is out there with a Skorp.

Skorpion on bridge.jpg

I remember when those came out because I read a few magazine tests on them. I think I even saw one in real life but never considered buying one. It does seem like a cool bike.

There were a few models. I think the last was a sumo. Also a hack model?

I also had to Google that. Uses Yamaha's 5 valve 660 thumper. Huh. Well that's pretty damn cool!

Neverv had one i n fact never riden one, Mz always were a compitent bike, no reason for a yamaha powered one to be built not to handle. I like the yamaha engine and thought there was a 600cc version too but not sure.
There was a baghera or some such title Too.
Kind of imagine they are yamaha SRX 6 type of bike, I have had a few SRX 6s and they were awesome little things.

In late 2002 and early 2003 we test-rode a bunch of bikes looking for an upgrade for KK's GS500E. At the time there was a Guzzi/Laverda/MZ dealer about twenty minutes from here, so we rode a Skorpion, the Laverda twins and triples, and a Breva 750.

The Skorpion was the best of the bunch by far! But IIRC the price new was absolutely insane. I bet they were much more reasonable on the pre-owned market.

Funny side note, one of the Laverdas (I think it was the twin) shook so bad I turned right around and told the dealer "something is wrong with this bike". "Nope" he said, "that's how it's supposed to be". Yikes.

Another side note, after riding about a dozen bikes she ended up with a 2003 F650CS ... and she still has it today! It is a great little bike and her riding skills grew by leaps and bounds on it.

They are awesome bikes. Under 400 lbs. Yamaha 660cc water-cooled, 5 valve, dry sump single. Weird 2 barrel carb. Some lovely little touches like the adjustable bars. Excellent stiff frame. They go for under $3,000, usually.

MZ also made some Rotax engined 500cc bikes. Those are considerably slower but I'd still like to have one.

I have threatened to sell my Skorp many times but always change my mind after I ride it. Lightweight singles are just awesome fun. Not fast but really maintain speed once it's attained.

I saw one at a Thumper Owners rally back around 1997. The Skorpion and my Duke were probably the two most unusual bikes there. Don't remember where the owner was from. This was in WI.

Top Bottom Back Refresh