What's new

NATC 2022 Nationals

Lineaway was just trying to bait me into coming. Hoping I would'nt realize the extra distance, until I was halfway there.

Last edited:
Put your bike in the plane and get a u-haul at the airport.

I think I could do it, but by the time I had to take everything apart and put it back together, I think I could drive there faster. Especially if I had a headwind. Really sucks to watch all the traffic going faster than you.

Online entry for The TTC Nationals in 2 weeks has closed. 118 riders have signed up.

We’ll see how bad the bottle-necks get waiting at the sections. Will probably be best not to lollygag on the first loop.

Online entry for The TTC Nationals in 2 weeks has closed. 118 riders have signed up.

We’ll see how bad the bottle-necks get waiting at the sections. Will probably be best not to lollygag on the first loop.

Last year was my first National experience. It was pretty bad at the 2 east coast ones. The Roswell event had very little waiting.

The TN detailed dabtracker results along with some enhanced reporting (aka "Natstats" which I created for infotainment purposes) has been posted in the event thread here: https://advbikes.com/threads/event-results.1076/post-19375

On the https://natstats.com home page is a color-coded dashboard that provides an at-a-glance overview of the event for each line. I think I'm going to let those that are interested go poke around on Natstats for a bit and get familiar with it then I'll post up a deeper dive here into the back story on this dashboard sometime before the CA round (May 14 & 15). Avg points per section, like a baseball batting average, let's us compare events over time in a consistent way.

1649165183468.png

Here are the cliff notes for the color-coded dashboard. The deep dive with more examples is here: https://natstats.com/DashboardExplained.html

2 Basic Steps:
  1. Calculate the Average Points Per Section for each line, excluding any low or high score statistical outliers.
  2. Apply the color coding.

Example: For 2022 TN Round 2 Pro Line Results we have a high score outlier getting excluded. The statistical cutoff for the upper bound is 88.375 so we don't count Sam's 95 points and end up with 1.1 Avg Points Per Section versus 1.3 if we had included it.

1652059747408.png

Then for the color-coding we use the following look up table, where 1.1 = Light Green \ Fun Ride. The light-green and dark-green could be considered the 'sweet spot' for a national event. Not too easy, Not too hard, but just right. While the color-code didn't change in this specific example those little tenths of points do add up when we combine all the lines and list out all the events sorted from most difficult to easiest at the bottom of the Stats report.

1652060017232.png

The detailed paper also covers examples of:
  • Exclusions of the lowest score. Low score exclusion typically only occurs on the Pro Line at a Hard or higher event where great riders have the opportunity to create a larger points gap from the rest of the field.
  • What Orange looks like using the Pro line of the 1982 Whitefish, MT Nationals, The highest scoring national ever (3.64 avg pps where the winning score of 144 was excluded)
  • What Red looks like using the Support line of that same 1982 Whitefish Nationals (4.11 avg pps, no exclusions)

That's the cliff notes.

The detailed paper is also linked at the bottom of the https://natstats.com home page. Also note there is a new 'Zoom In' feature just added to the Section Totals Report - 40 second video also linked at the bottom of the home page.

Here are the cliff notes for the color-coded dashboard. The deep dive with more examples is here: https://natstats.com/DashboardExplained.html

2 Basic Steps:
  1. Calculate the Average Points Per Section for each line, excluding any low or high score statistical outliers.
  2. Apply the color coding.

Example: For 2022 TN Round 2 Pro Line Results we have a high score outlier getting excluded. The statistical cutoff for the upper bound is 88.375 so we don't count Sam's 95 points and end up with 1.1 Avg Points Per Section versus 1.3 if we had included it.

1652059747408.png

Then for the color-coding we use the following look up table, where 1.1 = Light Green \ Fun Ride. The light-green and dark-green could be considered the 'sweet spot' for a national event. Not too easy, Not too hard, but just right. While the color-code didn't change in this specific example those little tenths of points do add up when we combine all the lines and list out all the events sorted from most difficult to easiest at the bottom of the Stats report.

1652060017232.png

The detailed paper also covers examples of:
  • Exclusions of the lowest score. Low score exclusion typically only occurs on the Pro Line at a Hard or higher event where great riders have the opportunity to create a larger points gap from the rest of the field.
  • What Orange looks like using the Pro line of the 1982 Whitefish, MT Nationals, The highest scoring national ever (3.64 avg pps where the winning score of 144 was excluded)
  • What Red looks like using the Support line of that same 1982 Whitefish Nationals (4.11 avg pps, no exclusions)

That's the cliff notes.

The detailed paper is also linked at the bottom of the https://natstats.com home page. Also note there is a new 'Zoom In' feature just added to the Section Totals Report - 40 second video also linked at the bottom of the home page.
Is this based off Len Weeds Section Orchestration? He came up with it in the 80's if I remember correctly. Essentially the same except at that time the goal was to get 1.5 points per section from the winner, not average. The order of section difficulty is the same for sure. I like that the last section is easy so riders come back to the pits feeling good.

Sorry I don't know the original source of the Orchestration.

Len was pretty prolific back then, he wrote Bernie's book and tons of articles. I am sure someone in the NATC has it. Pretty sure it was published in a few publications as well. Imagine if the current sections were set to get 1.5/ section from Pat!

fyi, Just posted to mototrials.com - https://www.mototrials.com/news/2022-amanatc-mototrials-national-series-schedule

After considerable discussion, it has been decided that there will not be additional events scheduled to make up for the cancelled Colorado National rounds. Many people were consulted including manufacturer teams, riders, potential host organizations, as well as NATC officers, volunteers and board members. It was felt that there is just too much risk involved in trying to put together a successful and well attended National under current circumstances.

Again, I would like to thank everyone at the Rocky Mountain Trials Association (RMTA) for all the effort they put into the Colorado National. It was going to be a superb event and hopefully we’ll be able to return to Colorado in the near future.

The 2022 AMA/NATC MotoTrials Series will continue as scheduled with Rounds 7 & 8 (Eastern Regional Rounds 3 & 4) on June 11th/12th in Gilbert, MN. This will conclude the 2022 AMA/NATC National Series. AMA Western Regional awards will be based on the California rounds.

Andy Saum
CEO
North American Trials Council

fyi, Just posted to mototrials.com - https://www.mototrials.com/news/2022-amanatc-mototrials-national-series-schedule

After considerable discussion, it has been decided that there will not be additional events scheduled to make up for the cancelled Colorado National rounds. Many people were consulted including manufacturer teams, riders, potential host organizations, as well as NATC officers, volunteers and board members. It was felt that there is just too much risk involved in trying to put together a successful and well attended National under current circumstances.

Again, I would like to thank everyone at the Rocky Mountain Trials Association (RMTA) for all the effort they put into the Colorado National. It was going to be a superb event and hopefully we’ll be able to return to Colorado in the near future.

The 2022 AMA/NATC MotoTrials Series will continue as scheduled with Rounds 7 & 8 (Eastern Regional Rounds 3 & 4) on June 11th/12th in Gilbert, MN. This will conclude the 2022 AMA/NATC National Series. AMA Western Regional awards will be based on the California rounds.

Andy Saum
CEO
North American Trials Council

I can understand not wanting to schedule a make up event. It is a ton of work to organize. It is bad enough to worry about all the fires out west, nobody saw a rouge snow storm coming.

Top Bottom Back Refresh