What's new

Need a new project, BMW K75 "K"afe?

I would say build a drag bike since it's great fun and something you can do once in a while for the sheer speed and acceleration part, but it doesn't seem like too many here are interested in the sport. Since pictures can't be viewed at my forum without being a member, here is a progress pic of the roller I've put together waiting for the engine build. And the ported head with custom titanium valves done by Schumann Motorworks in Oregon.
20210227_120044.jpg

20220325_161838.jpg

Big 'Lectro Daddy rides again! That's cool.
I'm wondering just how much longer the guy can do it. Think of all the harmful stuff he's been around in his life, including nitro-methane fumes both burned and unburned and tons of regular exhaust not to mention the many serious injuries he's suffered at the hands of his explosive cars along the way. He's been a survivor and the sport will miss him. If you're ever in the Ocala FL area you should take the time to go see his museum of drag racing and antique cars and memorabilia, it's a great place to visit for any gearhead.

There must not be much of a medical clearance required for him to race in that class. No offense, but even storied heroes have their physical limits.
None taken, though I've always admired the guy and his endurance through all the stuff that's happened to him over the years at the hands of 10,000+ horsepower nitro cars. I think he gets a pass from the NHRA because of his long-standing excellence at his craft, but as you say... father time is undefeated.

I appreciate all the interesting, and occasionally odd, responses. I am definitely tired of doing normal, or near normal, projects. The Vespa being definitely abbynormal!

I saw some that looked interesting, and I really want to do a Triumph TR7 or VW project, but no space for a car at the moment.

I'm giving serious thought to some kind of adventure scooter. Now to find something suitable. I am considering a Ruckus, but it has to be the 250, so harder to find. Not sure I want a high plastic scooter, and definitely not a two-stroke!

Suggestions?

lol - I meant no offense to Big Daddy. :photog

NHRA is probably very happy to have him around, but they have to weigh the potentially devastating aftermath of him piling it up. His e-rod seems relatively tame (for him), so that may be the reason he's allowed to race. I can't wait to hear John Force insert [your battery brand here] in every other word when the Seniors e-Drag Series becomes a thing.

What about putting together an e-ADV scooter with a solar charging station for use at a remote base camp? If you have a suitable main vehicle or trailer to carry multiple residential panels, that could be a fun design & build process.
According to DIY bikes and DIY Vehicles a solar charger is not practical. BUT, they never take into account multi-day camping. It is definitely a concept worthy of consideration!

Oh, and I recently purchased an apartment in Portimao, Algarve, Portugal, which has 340 days of sun. So a serious consideration!

I'm wondering just how much longer the guy can do it. Think of all the harmful stuff he's been around in his life, including nitro-methane fumes both burned and unburned and tons of regular exhaust not to mention the many serious injuries he's suffered at the hands of his explosive cars along the way. He's been a survivor and the sport will miss him. If you're ever in the Ocala FL area you should take the time to go see his museum of drag racing and antique cars and memorabilia, it's a great place to visit for any gearhead.
You struck a nerve!

I drag raced ( door slammer, FED) for a lot of years. The car was a '48 Olds. I ended up getting invited to a lot of exhibition/nostalgia type races. It wasn't uncommon to bump in to Don Garlits there.

The last time I saw Don Garlits was in Bowling Green, Kentucky in 2009 at a nostalgic racing event. It was a big annual deal and a swap meet type thing would spring up in the pits. It's was a place to bring out your most rare/obscure parts to sell because the folks who would appreciate it would be at that place.

There was a fella there selling some really rare old Roots style blower. I wasn't familiar with it and don't remember any details, but it was like a magnet- there was a constant crowd around that thing. I remember checking it out and it was pristine. It'd never seen fuel or a wrench in it's life. He was asking $5,000-6,000 for it, I don't remember exactly.

Well, that little piece of drag racing history caught Don's eye, but he wasn't willing to pay for it. I was there when Don was giving the owner the flowing speech of how this was such a great piece and how it really needs to preserve for future generations to enjoy, etc etc.....so donate it to my museum.

The guy wasn't willing to donate it. On e Don realized he wasn't going to get it for free he started murmurs that it was a fake and ( from my perspective) targeted prospective buyers in order to scare them off. Don really wanted that blower, and he really wasn't going to pay a dime for it. It was so bad and so obvious that people started openly mocking Don right on the spot.

It was truly one of those, "Never meet your heroes" situations. Long story short, Mr Garlits and his museum can pound sand.

[UWSL] when the Seniors e-Drag Series becomes a thing.[/UWSL]
It might become a thing, but it'll be a novelty act to kill time while the cars get ready. As a spectator live, you still can't appreciate the speed and acceleration forces on display, but you never forget the sound and the feeling of a top fuel engine literally rattling your bones.

After ages of drag racing ( and loving the sport) I never did understand it as a spectator sport. Been out of it for a long time and don't miss it a bit. Much rather be crashing my dirt bike. But I'll go out of my way just to feel a top fuel rig go by.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in ebikes and such, but it simply can't replace some things.

You struck a nerve!

I drag raced ( door slammer, FED) for a lot of years. The car was a '48 Olds. I ended up getting invited to a lot of exhibition/nostalgia type races. It wasn't uncommon to bump in to Don Garlits there.

The last time I saw Don Garlits was in Bowling Green, Kentucky in 2009 at a nostalgic racing event. It was a big annual deal and a swap meet type thing would spring up in the pits. It's was a place to bring out your most rare/obscure parts to sell because the folks who would appreciate it would be at that place.

There was a fella there selling some really rare old Roots style blower. I wasn't familiar with it and don't remember any details, but it was like a magnet- there was a constant crowd around that thing. I remember checking it out and it was pristine. It'd never seen fuel or a wrench in it's life. He was asking $5,000-6,000 for it, I don't remember exactly.

Well, that little piece of drag racing history caught Don's eye, but he wasn't willing to pay for it. I was there when Don was giving the owner the flowing speech of how this was such a great piece and how it really needs to preserve for future generations to enjoy, etc etc.....so donate it to my museum.

The guy wasn't willing to donate it. On e Don realized he wasn't going to get it for free he started murmurs that it was a fake and ( from my perspective) targeted prospective buyers in order to scare them off. Don really wanted that blower, and he really wasn't going to pay a dime for it. It was so bad and so obvious that people started openly mocking Don right on the spot.

It was truly one of those, "Never meet your heroes" situations. Long story short, Mr Garlits and his museum can pound sand.
Interesting story, and one I'd certainly not heard. I've only been around the guy a handful of times and never actually spoken to him, and the circumstances were always at big races like Gainesville where there was a crowd around him and whatever current driver he was visiting. Sadly, there's always another side to the stories of the most successful people in this world and it's often, if not usually, a side that shows some of the less than scrupulous ways they got to be that successful. I recently read a short article about the camshaft "wars" in the late '50s when Garlits and other big names in the sport were getting started nationally, and Garlits broke a $1000 annual contract with Iskenderian and jumped ship to Giovannoni cams for the money ($5000 up front, $10,000 total) so that alone shows you he was really no different than any other success-driven person. Plenty of them around these days who have reached fame and success by stepping on others, it was just not as well known back then when you could influence the media more easily. Idols often have feet of clay, as my grandmother used to say.

His museum is still an awesome place to see like any other museum collection of great artifacts of our past, and he's rarely there in person anyway.

Apologies to Jim for completely derailing his thread. 😬
Agreed.

But I still think a drag bike project would be a good option. As a friend of mine said not long ago about the fading local drag race scene, they're always closing drag strips but never opening new ones. If less and less of us keep going, they'll all be gone at some point.

According to DIY bikes and DIY Vehicles a solar charger is not practical. BUT, they never take into account multi-day camping. It is definitely a concept worthy of consideration!

Oh, and I recently purchased an apartment in Portimao, Algarve, Portugal, which has 340 days of sun. So a serious consideration!
You are the second guy I "know" that has bought an appt/house in Portugal this month alone.

How did the process go for purchasing overseas?

I hope you got a great view of the the ocean !

You are the second guy I "know" that has bought an appt/house in Portugal this month alone.

How did the process go for purchasing overseas?

I hope you got a great view of the the ocean !
The process is similar to the US, with some additional documents needed. Not very hard really. I recommend hiring a local Lawyer to check documents and ensure title clearances.

Nice views:
zhTjGf.jpg
RuzmNC.jpg
tXnDmy.jpg
XosCru.jpg
bYT8rm.jpg

A short walk to the Promenade and the beach.

I appreciate all the interesting, and occasionally odd, responses. I am definitely tired of doing normal, or near normal, projects. The Vespa being definitely abbynormal!

I saw some that looked interesting, and I really want to do a Triumph TR7 or VW project, but no space for a car at the moment.

I'm giving serious thought to some kind of adventure scooter. Now to find something suitable. I am considering a Ruckus, but it has to be the 250, so harder to find. Not sure I want a high plastic scooter, and definitely not a two-stroke!

Suggestions?
Not a scooter as such, but how ab ut a ADV orientated Yamaha TW200?
Been around forever a true classic, that has the small bike ADV idea written all over it.
Its (Not that you need an excuse) an excuse to own a TW200 and couls make an interesting small ADV build. Under light front rack fabrication sump guard tool box , just a couple of aspects to think about and plan/ fabricate / Install.

Been around forever a true classic, that has the small bike ADV idea written all over it.
Its (Not that you need an excuse) an excuse to own a TW200 and couls make an interesting small ADV build. Under light front rack fabrication sump guard tool box , just a couple of aspects to think about and plan/ fabricate / Install.
When I was fixing bikes for the local MSF I worked on a few. If any small bike is a mini-ADV bike, that is it. Not sure, past adding farkles, what I could do to improve it.

Last edited:

similar idea, XT250 ?

When I was fixing bikes for the local MSF I worked on a few. If any small bike is a mini-ADV bike, that is it. Not sure, past adding farkles, what I could do to improve it.
Not sure it needs that much improvement, but if i was contemplating such a thing as a small compact ADV bike, it would be IMO a sound base .
My thoughts would be Look into as in research any inherent weakness in the stock bike, Such as say for example, ( if TW200s are abused/ overloaded or brutaly used ) do they have any Frame cracking or areas that could be improved?
Loosing weight is always a good thing, and perhaps removing factory items replacing with improved or lighter stronger or simpler parts or components, rear shock perhaps.
Being an ADV bike, could you say design a panier rack frame, that though adding a little weight perhaps. some if not all of that weight could Brace up the rear subframe area (if it is needed of course).
The Wheels? Relacing up lighter stronger rims etc, lighting mods or seat allteration or replacement, or any fuel range improvements as in tank swaps or perhaps planing and fabricating an auxiliary fuel tank / cell .
Remove or Reposition any stock items Battery box air box( Obviously the latter with careful consideration of effective fueling issues such a move could make, and if its practical worthwhile or even possible to remove or change the air box).
Laboring a point here perhaps, but i see a kind of thinking mans build, rather than a typical farkle adding exercise, if you get my drift.
so many projects you see are missed opportunities to acctualy turn a bike into a genuine improved example of the factory offering, that was built down to a price rather than a high specification.
I have long since hankered after building my own Giant TW600 Bassed on my beloved and here till i die XT600e.
Hang on i just made an alternative build suggestion, that or a TW ued XT250 / 350.

Top Bottom Back Refresh