What's new

Need a new project, BMW K75 "K"afe?

Finally had time to get back to the project. I wanted to check the seals and splines, so removed the swingarm, then the transmission. Fortunately the splines look good. There is significant corrosion on the clutch components, but the clutch friction plate looks great. I will address the rust, and lube the splines. and reassemble the trans and final drive. The swingarm pivot pins look great!

t49Clv.jpg
bbvMKA.jpg
qyjE2E.jpg
fROc9p.jpg
TagjXl.jpg
2OL6kA.jpg
xZWINv.jpg

You struck a nerve!

I drag raced ( door slammer, FED) for a lot of years. The car was a '48 Olds. I ended up getting invited to a lot of exhibition/nostalgia type races. It wasn't uncommon to bump in to Don Garlits there.

The last time I saw Don Garlits was in Bowling Green, Kentucky in 2009 at a nostalgic racing event. It was a big annual deal and a swap meet type thing would spring up in the pits. It's was a place to bring out your most rare/obscure parts to sell because the folks who would appreciate it would be at that place.

There was a fella there selling some really rare old Roots style blower. I wasn't familiar with it and don't remember any details, but it was like a magnet- there was a constant crowd around that thing. I remember checking it out and it was pristine. It'd never seen fuel or a wrench in it's life. He was asking $5,000-6,000 for it, I don't remember exactly.

Well, that little piece of drag racing history caught Don's eye, but he wasn't willing to pay for it. I was there when Don was giving the owner the flowing speech of how this was such a great piece and how it really needs to preserve for future generations to enjoy, etc etc.....so donate it to my museum.

The guy wasn't willing to donate it. On e Don realized he wasn't going to get it for free he started murmurs that it was a fake and ( from my perspective) targeted prospective buyers in order to scare them off. Don really wanted that blower, and he really wasn't going to pay a dime for it. It was so bad and so obvious that people started openly mocking Don right on the spot.

It was truly one of those, "Never meet your heroes" situations. Long story short, Mr Garlits and his museum can pound sand.
If you’re not cheating, you’re not racing!

I've been looking at similar. Cool projects!
I’m recently Into vintage Z50’s.

Some cool custom stuff being created also in that genre of pit bikes. Pretty affordable and doesn’t take up times of space.

I’ve got three Z50 engines to overhaul over the cold months. There are a couple of media blasting places in Gainsville and manassas that do small motorcycle engine parts I’ll be using. Everything else myself.

Finally had some time to get back to the K.

Installed the transmission, twice because I forgot the clutch pushrod, then installed the swingarm, properly lubed. Then installed the battery tray and remade ABS bracket into the muffler hanger, and a little this and that. Hopefully I will have more time to make real progress on this high mileage POS!
GEOPCE.jpg
6g62Zi.jpg
U4LClP.jpg
hoTrGZ.jpg
1aeuWt.jpg
WLKYsj.jpg

These engines are two valve triples with rods running parallel to the ground? I had no idea.
You can never accuse BMW of being boring, I reckon

Back
Top Bottom