What's new

New Ducati Thumper

Ridefreak

Torque Junky
ADV+
Member Number
Ducati's 650cc thumper, double counterbalancer, 77Hp @ 9500 and can be bumped to 84Hp with a different exhaust. It uses their Desmonic valve system. I wonder if this is the basis for their new dirtbike.

I don't care about a Ducati much ether way but it's nice to see some serious engineering taking place in that segment. It's a motor based on the company's engineering advances and carries their heritage, kinda makes Triumph's new singles look like an afterthought.

i-Z86VLT7-X2.jpg

i-xwfJPrk-X2.jpg

Link

Want.

Smooth thumper power with desmo, without the rubberband

Can’t wait to see their MX bike
Hopefully it isn’t heavy

Gotta figure out a way to raise whatever the cash will need to be…

Ducati's 650cc thumper…[UWSL]kinda makes Triumph's new singles look like an afterthought.[/UWSL]
We’ll see how it all pans out at the races
Motocross is what is
Triumph might have what it needs to beat whatever Ducati produces

This Desmo single looks amazing though - and I can’t wait to see what the bikes end up looking like

It is for their dirt bike. I didn't realize it was going to be that big (650cc)

Desmo valve train to hit 9500 seems excessive ($) when other thumpers are revving past 10k with ease using springs, but if it holds up and the price is right, why not?

Seems better suited as a killer sumo engine vs a dirty bike engine

I'm hoping it ends up in a sportbike, but the reality is I'm probably done buying sportbikes so that's kinda moot... I'm just happy that it will exist.

PS - it's desmoDROMIC, not Desmonic.

I'm hoping it ends up in a sportbike, but the reality is I'm probably done buying sportbikes so that's kinda moot... I'm just happy that it will exist.

I don't know the difference so I'll have to look that up.

According to the picture it's got a slipper clutch. That gives a lighter pull, which is cool, but makes me think it's intended more for street use vs a single track/ woods weapon. So your sport bike dream might be a reality. Or at least a sumo/ hyper dual sport upright type of thing.

It is for their dirt bike. I didn't realize it was going to be that big (650cc)

Desmo valve train to hit 9500 seems excessive ($) when other thumpers are revving past 10k with ease using springs, but if it holds up and the price is right, why not?
You can really snap the valve closed with desmo gear. This let's you hold it open for longer than you could with a spring. There are more performance benefits than just RPM. They also take less power to spin, less hysteresis in timing, better port shape with no springs in the way..........

Downside, you fuck up the valve adjustment your top end is junk.

I would love 1 of these in a nice light chassis like a Dakar bike for my next bike.

Apparently this 650cc thumper is another new engine from Ducati, and they're also planning to release a 450cc MX bike

Thanks, my italian sucks :D

You can really snap the valve closed with desmo gear. This let's you hold it open for longer than you could with a spring. There are more performance benefits than just RPM. They also take less power to spin, less hysteresis in timing, better port shape with no springs in the way..........

Downside, you fuck up the valve adjustment your top end is junk.

I would love 1 of these in a nice light chassis like a Dakar bike for my next bike.
Im not knowledgeable on the ducati valve system but I've heard they've perfected a very lightweight valvetrain.

I don't know the difference so I'll have to look that up.

According to the picture it's got a slipper clutch. That gives a lighter pull, which is cool, but makes me think it's intended more for street use vs a single track/ woods weapon. So your sport bike dream might be a reality. Or at least a sumo/ hyper dual sport upright type of thing.
They're aiming directly at the austrians.

"The Hypermotard 698 Mono is equipped as standard with electronics that allow you to learn to ride like a real Supermotard rider"

🤦

😂😂

Could be my first Ducati. I'd like it in SM trim.

Edit: reviewed this bike on the Ducati website this afternoon. Guess I still like the 1200 Monster better. Or even the old S4RS Monster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh