What's new

New long distance street rider advice

psykown

Member Number
Ok so I've been riding street and dirt and have done more 10hr plus days and multi day trips than I can count anymore......my GF hasn't lol what are some of those beginner things to keep in mind for crushing miles of super slab and sweet appalachian twisties on a multi day trip cross country? We have ridden plenty before but so far mostly on 5hr and less trips.

Communication: We have this down pretty well with hand signals, will also have a set of Senna for her entertainment and comms

Comfort: Two up makes standing and moving around on the bike tougher so some of those air seats are going to be picked up
We are going through the layers and comfort V safety talk for clothes
Keeping daily distances at about 7hrs travel time a day with plenty of places to stop and stretch and for pics
She will probably have a small backpack on but it should rest nicely on the tail rack to not wear her down too bad

what am I missing? What has my jaded and callous ass forgotten about from those early trips :lol3

Ok so I've been riding street and dirt and have done more 10hr plus days and multi day trips than I can count anymore......my GF hasn't lol what are some of those beginner things to keep in mind for crushing miles of super slab and sweet appalachian twisties on a multi day trip cross country? We have ridden plenty before but so far mostly on 5hr and less trips.

Communication: We have this down pretty well with hand signals, will also have a set of Senna for her entertainment and comms

Comfort: Two up makes standing and moving around on the bike tougher so some of those air seats are going to be picked up
Keeping daily distances at about 7hrs travel time a day with plenty of places to stop and stretch and for pics
She will probably have a small backpack on but it should rest nicely on the tail rack to not wear her down too bad

what am I missing? What has my jaded and callous ass forgotten about from those early trips :lol3

So my experience from taking my wife from never having sat on a motorcyle to doing 50,000 miles over the course of 18 months at one point.

The Senas will pay for themselves, my wife could deal with HOURS more on the back of the bike if she could easily yap at me about whatever.....this also includes both of us clowning anything and everything we pass by. As far as comfort, if you don't have one, get a top-box, seriously it is dual use storage and bitch bar.

Comfort: you two are going to have to work that out everyone is different. But I had no issues standing with my wife on the back of my Multistrada, she would prefer that I warned her before being presented with Full Moons over Myhammy, but that was about the worst of it. Likewise, she would warn me, and she could stand with her hands on my shoulders to stretch her knees out as well.

....it usually didn't come to that, YMMV.

Also buying my wife a cheapish 35mm camera with a neck strap paid dividends, she can take photos on the hoof as it were, and I don't have to stop nearly as much.....I just had to deal with offloading terabytes of stuff when we got back (she didn't tell me she bought like 6 1.2TB memory cards before one trip)

I'd say stop often and be ready to keep distances traveled per day short. Not only to enjoy the view better and spend a little more time just looking at places where you've stopped. For me at least there is no enjoyment just droning along on the "super slab". It's the stops and detours that make the best memories. Even be ready to stop in the twisties if a nice view or rest place comes in sight. You'll also start to lose concentration after a while on the super slab.

Sadly slabbing is a fact of life in the US, if you want to get anywhere in a timely manner anyway...and even then no one likes it. Well maybe the Harley set, but slabbing is quite literally the only thing those bikes are good at.

The best routes often link twisties/scenic byways by slab be it interstate, state highway, or whatever.

Last edited:

Everyone is different but it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. I went through this issue myself when I got married. My wife could never handle as long of rides as I could and as we got older it just got worse. Eventually we came up with a solution that allowed us to travel long distances on the highway in comfort. We would stick our bike in the back of my truck and drive in heated or air conditioned comfort to where the good roads where and unload and ride. That solution works if you want to go somewhere and base camp for a couple of days or longer but is not practical when you are doing a long trip with a different stop every night.

Thinking of doing it that way myself next year. I like the long rambling rides but I note that takes quite a few days away from what I want to be doing at the midpoint of the trip. I have a DIY motorcycle rescue setup in my pickup which is almost good enough for single-handed loading/unloading, with some upgrades I can maybe get it to that point. No more long highway grinds to get home sure sounds nice :-)

Thinking of doing it that way myself next year. I like the long rambling rides but I note that takes quite a few days away from what I want to be doing at the midpoint of the trip. I have a DIY motorcycle rescue setup in my pickup which is almost good enough for single-handed loading/unloading, with some upgrades I can maybe get it to that point. No more long highway grinds to get home sure sounds nice :-)
I have done some really great motorcycle trips this way. Probably the most memorable for me was hauling my bike from Maine to Monterey, CA. I spent 6 weeks in Monterrey and also stopped on the way out and back and unloaded my bike and went riding in various really cool places. My Ride report for that trip is here: https://advbikes.com/threads/those-were-the-days-my-friend.592/page-11#post-28693

I had a Chevy S-10 at the time. With it's low bed height it was easy to load and unload the bike.

wknudsen_old-20pics-20and-20scans_s-10ampex_zps1e968351-jpg.25487

One of the goals of the trip is to pick up a new to me silverado 1500 so we can do more of just that!
I have done some really great motorcycle trips this way. Probably the most memorable for me was hauling my bike from Maine to Monterey, CA. I spent 6 weeks in Monterrey and also stopped on the way out and back and unloaded my bike and went riding in various really cool places. My Ride report for that trip is here: https://advbikes.com/threads/those-were-the-days-my-friend.592/page-11#post-28693

I had a Chevy S-10 at the time. With it's low bed height it was easy to load and unload the bike.

I feel like NM is is tough on road trips back east because its 8-10hrs of flatlands before getting to the appalachians and getting to have fun again without adding a ton of time to the trip. The loose goal right now is to slab it to memphis and then hit deals gap see a few friends there overnight and then run the Blue Ridge Parkway up north to PA

She is also a photographer so I can see her filling a few Tb cards up to! Tripped1

One of the goals of the trip is to pick up a new to me silverado 1500 so we can do more of just that!

I feel like NM is is tough on road trips back east because its 8-10hrs of flatlands before getting to the appalachians and getting to have fun again without adding a ton of time to the trip. The loose goal right now is to slab it to memphis and then hit deals gap see a few friends there overnight and then run the Blue Ridge Parkway up north to PA

She is also a photographer so I can see her filling a few Tb cards up to! Tripped1
That looks like a good plan. Having a safe place to leave your vehicle is always important.

Depending on your route you will pass close to me between Memphis and Deal's Gap. When are you doing this trip?

Its also wise to leave it parked facing down hill and with some rased ground behind it, Ask me how I learned that the hardway :lol3

We will be at Deals gap hopefully the 3rd of August :ricky Id be down to make a few passes with ya, we can let the GF "rest" on a nice corner and takes pics!

Being able to stand on a bike helps me a lot. Street bike and Harley I can't do it. On the DR, I'm standing all the time. Helps stretches the legs.

I did 700 miles in 17h on it. Was a bit fatigued, but overall I was ok.

Its also wise to leave it parked facing down hill and with some rased ground behind it, Ask me how I learned that the hardway :lol3

We will be at Deals gap hopefully the 3rd of August :ricky Id be down to make a few passes with ya, we can let the GF "rest" on a nice corner and takes pics!
I'll be in Maggie Valley the first week of August riding some roads that IMO are much better than Deal's Gap . Maggie Valley is about a 90 minute ride from Deal's Gap. If you are planning on riding the BRP you will ride right by Maggie Valley.

I'll be in Maggie Valley the first week of August riding some roads that IMO are much better than Deal's Gap . Maggie Valley is about a 90 minute ride from Deal's Gap. If you are planning on riding the BRP you will ride right by Maggie Valley.
Even better! yeah if you want probably the 4th I'll be your way then, we can make it happen :thumb we will be on the versys so not crazy fast but not the slowest either lol

Oh sweet! We may just stay at that hotel that night then, that sounds like the perfect ending to the 3rd! and its in a good spot to start up the next day northbound

Suggestion.
US64 from Memphis to Winchester.
TN 127 from Winchester to McMinnville
TN 30 from just outside McMinnville to Etowah
TN 310/39 from Etowah to Tellico Plains

If I need to cover much more than 500 miles a day I'd rather do it in the comfort of my truck listening to tunes and sipping coffee. Covering miles on the slab is not why I own a motorcycle. To me a 250-300 mile day of twisties with frequent stops is perfect. I'd rather eat glass than ride a motorcycle on a freeway.

Suggestion.
US64 from Memphis to Winchester.
TN 127 from Winchester to McMinnville
TN 30 from just outside McMinnville to Etowah
TN 310/39 from Etowah to Tellico Plains
I do like the look of that run, I think its going to get added into the trip!

If I need to cover much more than 500 miles a day I'd rather do it in the comfort of my truck listening to tunes and sipping coffee. Covering miles on the slab is not why I own a motorcycle. To me a 250-300 mile day of twisties with frequent stops is perfect. I'd rather eat glass than ride a motorcycle on a freeway.
The trip is for picking up the truck and seeing family so nexct time thatll be an option, we figured it was spend an arm and a leg flying or turn it into adventureso why not try and have fun with it :ricky

Mostly rural and misses the cities. TN30 is the ONE. Complete course In Eastern N Am geology if that matters. Loose the C-strips if that matters. Lodge at Fall Creek Falls State Park is excellent.

I’m not religious and hope not to be blasphemous. I do get messages. Almost 80 now and 20, 25 years ago riding home from the kinky hills on a too long bit of interstate a very clear, loud voice inside my helmet said “Dude, you’ve got limited two wheel miles left in life. How many are you going to piss away like this with these morons. And on Dunlop Q tires, of all things??”

I’m not religious and hope not to be blasphemous. I do get messages. Almost 80 now and 20, 25 years ago riding home from the kinky hills on a too long bit of interstate a very clear, loud voice inside my helmet said “Dude, you’ve got limited two wheel miles left in life. How many are you going to piss away like this with these morons. And on Dunlop Q tires, of all things??”
Haha I hear ya there, there are definitely some perks to being young still! also why I dont mind running cheap tires, I just like being on two wheels, doesnt really matter where or what I'm riding......except suzukis, no more suzukis

That was your first issue....Dunlops SUCK! :lol3

Back
Top Bottom