What's new

New Mexico Trials Association NMTA

Stepped up to Sportsman and pulled off 4th place? How?
I feel like I was hit by a truck today though. :lol3

Great job Nate! The highs and lows will be much greater in Uppers. This was a tough event to start out in and the weather didn't make it any easier. A fourth place in that group in these conditions was a really good ride...especially punching section 8! Way to stick it out!!

1671465077914.png

Anyone have a reccomendation for a good local cobbler (shoe, not fruit) ? One of the buckles has partially ripped of my Gaerne's and I'd like to see what it'd cost to have it fixed.

Sundays event was easily the hardest day riding a motorcycle in my life.
I'm beaten, bruised, exhausted and humbled. "Have fun. Don't die." became my mantra all day.
Pass the Advil please.

Are spectators allowed?
I would typically say absolutely! But this is a new venue for us that is on private property so I actually don't know. Let me get back to you on that. Having never been there I also have no clue how spectator friendly it will be.

Where are you located?

Followup:

"Should be spectator friendly as long as they follow the land owner's rules! Lower loop is very easy for spectators to do...can see the pits from every section. Upper loop requires that they climb up to the "Upper Bench" but then the loop is just a little over a mile long. Chris made a trail spectators or scorers can walk up that is just like climbing a short set of stairs to reach the bench. Both loops are less than 1.5 miles each."

Update from the BossLady
Hello NMTA !
Just a few reminders as we get ready for this weekend's event:
Have you signed up yet?
Afternoon RIDERS
  • You will be riding sections in the Nerd Rocks this weekend! The trials master is reminding riders to bring a small canister for extra fuel, extra water & snack! Riders may want to plan on staying out there for all 3 loops if you can. Any additional trips back to camp will require extra time.
Afternoon CHECKERS
  • The afternoon sections in the Nerd Rocks are a more difficult area to get to and should be scored by Amateur & Intermediate class riders. When you sign up to score, please talk to the Trials Master to make sure you are picking an appropriate section to score. Novice & Beginner class riders should score the sections in the other areas. Also, remember to top off on gas before you head out and take plenty of water, snacks & sun protection!
Additional Event Information For EVERYONE
  • This weekend, in memory Big AL, we will be cooking burgers for the club on Saturday evening! The board will be providing burgers, chips & drinks. Anyone who would like to bring something to share is encouraged to do so (who doesn't like a good potluck)?! We just felt that getting together in memory of Al seemed appropriate as we are back in San Ysidro this month.
  • Al has also requested that his bike, accessories & riding gear be donated to NMTA. He loved this club and was deeply rooted to our community. After much discussion with the NMTA Board, Al's Sister & Pattie, we have decided to have a silent auction for his bike this weekend as well. There will be a reasonable starting bid set, and the money raised will be used to help our club support the trials community overall, focusing on things that were important to Al. We hope you'll join us!

We're looking forward to a fun event this weekend. Safe travels, and we'll see you all soon!

I'll be there!

So will a return rider, Jeff B on his spiff 17-year-old GasGas, Old Yaller. VERY nice bike, that one, and breathed A LOT on by me. Hope it suits him and his return to trials.

The day after the events I will zip up to the mountain property to continue, and hopefully finish, the access road improvement project. Claire thinks I'll end up pushing myself too hard again....
Dump.jpg

The project has so far consumed 22 twelve-yard load$. I'm maybe... half done:0-0 The canvas is big.

Also working on a fellow I recently met who, in the past, describes watching NMTA events, but he never took the dive. I offered my 2017 Sherco for experience and instruction, and he's apparently very interested. Perchance the rare addict may result?

Attended the NMTA 2-day at San Y. Lots of riders there. Some new. Some returning from way back. The return of Jeff B. to trials after a decade plus, for example. He adores loves his spiff new 17-year-old yellow GasGas 200. All the hours produced a like-new machine and my long travel modified Ohlins hasn't blown out yet :-)

I rode on Saturday, but not Sunday. Saturday's trials was very well designed by Monty B. Given the afternoon heat is creeping up there, not over hard, at least in my current class semi-expert. I was on a good ride for me... 5 points all the way to the last three sections. Stepped on my rear brake killing my motor in section 6, then got knocked slightly off line taking 3 section 7, and to add insult to injury, slipped slightly for a 1 in section 8, a section ever so easy to clean! From 5 to 14, pfft! When the winner, Ron S. comes in with 4 points (superb!), followed Matt W. with a 5 (excellent!), the quick screwing of one's self makes the ego smart. But that's what's great about trials. It's anti-ego.

Got back to camp and felt off, dingy and dumb, and beer didn't help. What it the heat? Next morning the dizziness was stronger than usual and made a nice chorus to go with my always in background tinnitus. Went to my doc about it and got a full battery of blood tests. Normal. Doc asked me what I'd been up to because I had lost 3 pounds. His eyes get big and he lectures me. "Stop pushing yourself so hard, drink plenty of fluids, and for gosh sakes eat more! Well that added crap hitting a peak Sunday I questioned the safety and wisdom of riding. Carl donated some super electrolytes to try. No change, so I sat that one out. Not a bad idea really, as starting Tuesday I'll be "pushing myself too hard" finishing up the road work at Oachado, the I think better of my two best trials riding areas.

Today I feel a little less off and half rested. Packing up to go north....

I'll leave you all with some photos of the weekend. Other than a bit of swirly wind, and toasty in the afternoon sun, another typically gorgeous New Mexico weekend spent with awesome people!
One.jpg

Two.jpg

Three.jpg

New fellow, Mike (Mr. Thumbs up), showed up from Las Cruces area and an off road moto background, being proud of his new-old Gasser. I tweaked on it a bit and advised on gearing and other issues. Carl, who always amazes me in what he stocks, fixed him up on parts. Mike's a VERY friendly fellow, kid magnet and dog whisper. Hope to see him again.
Four.jpg

Another Mike fellow (off road moto guy) from ABQ stopped Sunday morning on his way north to say hello. We ate lunch with him and his wife the week before. He's expressed strong interest in my invite, him and wife, to stay with us at Oachado and have a personalized instructor-rider experience via my `17 Sherco 250. I hope to manage that well for attraction, rather than rejection. Maybe we'll pick up another rider?

JB brought along another off road moto guy for his first experience in trials. I hope that was a big positive and that he'll be back.

Jeff B. visited my Les Falaises trial and is back, Neil too it seems. Dale H. came on his mountain bike because of conversations with Jeff B, watching very carefully all Saturday. Jeff B. was proudly literally in Al's donated boots! Now Dale's talking about dragging his old Sherco out. And who was parked right next to me when I returned from socializing Sunday morning but Mike Sala... with his young pup. He told me early NMTA stories about San Ysidro and other areas nearby one used by NMTA. Mike said he rode 'for 50 years', then quit when 'I started crashing in the oddest places.' Yup, age related. But why did Mike S. come? He reported a long dream about trials that compelled him to come to the event. So I waved Jeff B. over to hear Mike's dream story.

Something's happening. Al, is that you?

Last edited:
If anyone found a black fork guard let me know. Dad lost one AGAIN.

I know that section area! It gets used every year or two, in various ways, and often it's one of the harder sections.

I didn't get to see it as I sat out Sunday owing to a bad weird-dizziness problem day, and wanting to save myself for days of property development work. It was a great time to hot that hard as it was crispy dry (with TWO fires starting in the region), just before a week of forecast rains, and before the monsoon. Now it's recovery time where I drag my old balls around for about a week, desiring only to eat and sleep - again!

Third Culvert Work.jpg

Lost fork guards!

The zip tie came into being from an American fellow who invented the Ty-Rap to aid aircraft workers. Fast forward decades and zip tie production through low-low prices, I have found zip ties to have become more brittle. Some break when I merely tighten them. Some years back, I started taping my fork guards on with Scotch 77 electrical tape at the bottom and top, then placing a zip ties over the tape. On my latest bike, a TRS, I dropped the zip ties. The bottom loop of tape got blasted on the right side recently and I had redo it, but the chances of popping one zip tie then the other and losing the guard, since I have added or gone only to tape, have pretty much gone to zero.

Back
Top Bottom