What's new

New noise cancelling earphones in development. You can help.

skibum69

Member Number
I was recently contacted by Kim Thistle to help her son in his new noise cancelling headphone concept development. He is a new Memorial University of Newfoundland Bsc graduate who won a big award for his design concept of noise cancelling headphones for motorcycle riders under the brand name Audyse.

His mother is kindly helping him do data work by contacting riders to do a short survey to help him determine exactly what is needed/wanted out there in our Moto world. I did it today and it is pretty short and painless and Kim is very nice to deal with completing it.

I told her I would put up a thread on here to invite more people to do the survey to help this project along.

Personally I think it's great to see a Newfoundland company working to bring new technology to the world and for once it pertains to all of us on motorcycles.

I encourage all of you on here to contact Kim and put in your own 2 cents so we can have more better earphone options for riding.

Her email addy is: [email protected].

Eliminate specifically the wind/turbulence/buffeting sound from the experience, visor open or closed

That would be great

A little update.

Audyse is developing a smart wearable audio system for motorsports that features the latest audio technologies to enhance the safety and enjoyment of the wearer through the use of electronic noise canceling and high-quality audio streaming. Audyse’s electronic noise canceling system specifically targets harmful sounds, reducing the noise by as much as 35 dB, making it safe to listen to the sounds that the wearer wants to hear, like music, phone calls, and the sounds that provide situational awareness, such as sirens and car horns.

Also, Robin is a Bachelor of Engineering ( Computer) graduate.

Wishlist for awesome consumer grade noise cancelling?

* Send the inverted (noise cancelling) soundwave towards the calculated source of the sound instead of hammering the ear with it.
This results in true noise cancelling, rather than just increasing static pressure towards the ear (which I think is one of the reasons folks get tired when using NC headphones for too long).

So, proper noise cancelling or I'll stick with the regular foam ear plugs (which btw dampen pretty much all sound frequencies better than headphones).

I have no connection to this company or to Robin, my name was given to them by another person doing the survey. I just offered to spread it around a little. Personally I use custom molded earphones for music on the bike. They worked great for years but as the body changes new ones need to be made to work as well again.

You need to look better at what Active Noise Cancelling actually is. It does not increase static pressure. Noise is neutralized before it reaches your ears.

But I'm with you on the regular foam ear plugs. They not only reliably dampen all sounds without any major issues. They're dirt cheap, never run out of batteries, available nearly anywhere. A box of 500 pairs I bought years ago, for less than cheap ANC headphones, is still dispensing pairs. The headphones are in the big electronics graveyard in the sky.

Agree to disagree. The reason we don't hear the sound is because both the original and the 180 degree inverted one reach the ear drum at the same time, if the soundwaves would completely disappear folks wouldn't experience things such as vertigo (related to change in pressure).

Edit: another comment to skibum69 - when designing these anc earphones, try to put the microphones that sample incoming sound on the inside of the earphone as what's there is bound to be different from what's on the outside. It's easily done on large headphones, but might a a little more challenging on in-ear stuff, either way it improves the quality of the sound cancelling as it provides a better match for what actuall reach the ear.

Last edited:
Thanks skibum69. I was recently reading the Audyse website. Looks promising. Have you heard anything about its interoperability with other mesh products (ex. sena)?

Sorry, I have no connection to this company or Robin. My name was offered up to do the survey and I offered to spread the word around. I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Top Bottom Back Refresh