What's new

Ohio's Windy9

Alan F.

Member Number
Some friends and I are kicking around the idea of a trip out from MA and NY to Athens, OH to do a little riding.
Does anyone have any experiences to share on this area?

I found this just now:

Right you are Blender, they have a spot on their site where you can put your address in and they'll send you a real paper map of the whole area.

Its a nice area for riding, I passed through there a few years ago unknowingly, great roads. At last years RA Rally I spoke with two representatives from Athens who were promoting the region trying to drum up some tourist business.

I have ridden the area a few times. I went to a HSTA rally in Marietta back in the late 90s and got to ride the area for a few days. The HSTA is now the MSTA and they still have a rally there every year: https://www.flybyweek.com/

Right you are Blender, they have a spot on their site where you can put your address in and they'll send you a real paper map of the whole area.
You can also download the GPX files for all the rides FREE

Hopefully it remains that way. Deal's Gap is a shit show.
I rode the Dragon/Deals Gap (hopefully for the last time about 6 years) only because several riding friends had never been there. Give me southern Missouri, NW Arkansas, or the Windy Nine anytime. NO traffic, great roads, and you can ride a nice pace in great scenery.

Last edited:
I rode the Dragon/Deals Gap (hopefully for the last time about 6 years) only because several riding friends had never been there. Give me southern Missouri, NW Arkansas, or the Windy Nine anytime. NO traffic, great roads, and you can ride a nice pace in great scenery.
US129 at Deal's Gap is a great road if you can catch it without all the traffic. There are much more challenging roads in the area that don't have all the traffic. For sport riding I have yet to find better roads than in the mountains of N. GA, E. TN, W NC, VA, and WV. Most of the tourists ride the dragon, skyway and few other well known roads but there are still plenty of roads without all the traffic. Yes there are some great roads in SE Ohio, NW Arkansas and other states but I have yet to find any as good as the area I mentioned.

Edit: I forgot that there are a couple of great roads in the corner of SC as well.

Last edited:
I recommend staying in Marietta, OH. and yes check out the routes here: https://www.flybyweek.com/
Note: Athens and Hocking Hills are full of traffic. Athens parking enforcer will ticket you for sharing a metered spot.
I rented an Airbnb condo in Athens. Walking distance to a brewery, a typical burger & seafood place and a market with beer. We had a garage for all the bikes and it was easy out or around. Only went downtown once.

Top Bottom Back Refresh