What's new

Oklahoma.....What ya got?

bQ0rWIq.jpg

looks like a good place for an organized ride....
It was fun exploring but almost all the roads are section line grids.

You should do the Rally at the Rock in AR. May 15-19.

Reactions: MVI
I have only ridden in Oklahoma one time and didn't take any pics. It was an interesting experience so I'll go and post it here. It was back in May of 1994. I rode west on the Talimena Drive from Mena AR on my EX500. At the West end I came to the little town of Talahina. It was a pretty dumpy looking town. I considered getting a motel room but the motel looked like a dump and had some Harley riders there that I wondered what they would think of my on my "Jap trash". I looked at my map and it looked like I could ride south a ways to Texarkana...or at least that's what I remember. Looking at Google maps now that's a pretty long ride.

I headed South and ended up on a really nice curvy road through the woods. It was going great until I came to a 4 or 5 way intersection and all of the roads except the one I was on were dirt! My map didn't show this so I turned around back to Talahina. When I got back I looked at the dumpy motel again and decided to head back to Mena AR via 63 which looked to be faster than the scenic drive. The problem was that it was getting dark and it started raining bugs. I had to stop every few minutes to clean my faceshield so I could see. I carried a wet washcloth in a baggie but after using it a few time it got covered in bug blood and guts. I was so glad when I made it to Mena and found a motel with a vacancy.

Looking at google maps I think I went south on 271 and then Indian Highway. That intersection that I turned around at might be Indian Hwy and K trail. By now the roads may be paved. With a modern GPS I might have been able to find a way through but back then I had no desire to be lost on a dirt road in the dark. I couldn't even tell which way was straight as there were no road signs.

Top Bottom Back Refresh