What's new

Oklahoma.....What ya got?

Indian Road, south of Tahlequah. Washed out in the heavy rains a couple months ago. I thought they would have it fixed by now. We ended up doing about a forty-mile detour.

o3V56gN.jpg

1yZ7JBY.jpg

Indian Road, south of Tahlequah. Washed out in the heavy rains a couple months ago. I thought they would have it fixed by now. We ended up doing about a forty-mile detour.

o3V56gN.jpg

1yZ7JBY.jpg
What! You couldn't jump that little rut??

:lol3

The dents in the drain pipe lead me to believe that someone already trialed right over that thing.

It’s because of this sort of obstacle that I always have one of those sand tracks things strapped to my back like an overlander…

Reactions: MVI
I had Retro Powersports in Tulsa do a valve adjust on my FJ-09 last week. They detailed it too. It cleaned up quite nicely for a 2015 with 57,000+ miles.

sNq6wBA.jpg
How much did they charge to adjust the Valves?

How much did they charge to adjust the Valves?
He's $99/hour labor. I had him change the plugs while he was in there. The total was $527. I took it in on Friday afternoon and he was finished on Tuesday.

He's $99/hour labor. I had him change the plugs while he was in there. The total was $527. I took it in on Friday afternoon and he was finished on Tuesday.
Shoot that's a great price. Between not having a good feel for the competence of the local mechanics and the high labor rates in DFW I have a bunch of bikes that are waaaay over due for valve adjustment checks.

Shoot that's a great price. Between not having a good feel for the competence of the local mechanics and the high labor rates in DFW I have a bunch of bikes that are waaaay over due for valve adjustment checks.

My experience is you can safely double the recommended valve adjustment interval. When I decide it's time for a major service I wait until middle of the winter when the shops aren't busy. It won't cost less this way but the mechanic is less likely to just rush through because there's such a backlog of bikes waiting to get serviced.

That was actually my first valve check on this bike. The intake valves were all good. The exhaust valves were all tight. One was really bad. He said I got it there just in time and recommends checking again at 30,000 more miles, if I still have it.

It seems to be the opposite here. People have their service done during the winter because they're not riding. I took it in last week because the forecast was for 100°+ all week and I knew I wouldn't be riding to work - I'm a commuter.

I ride old bikes, couple 1100gs ad a 1150r, I do my own work on them. I live 175 miles from Tulsa and 200 miles from OKC, those are the nearest BMW shops I know of.

I bought a '98 1100gs with the clutch out , called Eurotek , BMW dealer OKC, ask the price to change the clutch. The service manager said "ballpark" $2k. I bought a clutch pack from beemer boneyard and did it myself for the low side of $500. I'm retired , my time is worth nothing:imaposer:-)

I ride old bikes, couple 1100gs ad a 1150r, I do my own work on them. I live 175 miles from Tulsa and 200 miles from OKC, those are the nearest BMW shops I know of.

I bought a '98 1100gs with the clutch out , called Eurotek , BMW dealer OKC, ask the price to change the clutch. The service manager said "ballpark" $2k. I bought a clutch pack from beemer boneyard and did it myself for the low side of $500. I'm retired , my time is worth nothing:imaposer:-)
I am thinking I need to increase my mechanical skills.

Over the last 15 or so years I have only paid for one valve check. Most of my bikes are easy enough to work on that I just do the valves myself but as Dirty Harry said "a man's gotta know his limitations". There are some things I'd like to be able to do myself but I'll probably screw it up so I take it to the dealer.

I do my own oil changes, brakes, tires, clutches, chains and sprockets, stuff like that. I was always a two-stoke guy and just never got into working inside a four-stroke.

Top Bottom Back Refresh