What's new

Old School Two Stroke Pics

My brother and I had a TM400 we bought used in 1977. That thing taught hard lessons.
I had a 1974 YZ250 back around 1980 or so. Tough as nails and I eventually managed to hole the piston riding the snot out of it. I barely knew how to change a tire at the time but I was able to replace the piston & rings and ride on. Wish I had a pic....

72 Kawasaki H2 750 triple with custom fiberglass Tracy body kit- Motor was a 060 over Denko Cobra build with 36mm carbs milled heads and high compression Wiseco pistons. Those were Bill Wirges pro stock drag pipes...no silencers! My buddy Rocketman Billy S. built that bike.

When that thing came on the pipe it changed your life...everytime! It let out a howl so loud that any child 12 or under in there yard...ran for there mother. It sounded like the monster from the Forbiden Planet with a microphone!
Kawi 1.jpg

72 Kawasaki H2 750 triple with custom fiberglass Tracy body kit- Motor was a 060 over Denko Cobra build with 36mm carbs milled heads and high compression Wiseco pistons. Those were Bill Wirges pro stock drag pipes...no silencers! My buddy Rocketman Billy S. built that bike.

When that thing came on the pipe it changed your life...everytime! It let out a howl so loud that any child 12 or under in there yard...ran for there mother. It sounded like the monster from the Forbiden Planet with a microphone!
Kawi 1.jpg
I ran mine with Jemco stingers for a while. They would make your ears bleed so I chopped off the stingers and put Spec II silencers on. I am much happier now and the neighbors are even happier.

I picked up this old Yamaha 360 last summer and quickly found out that the mists of time can blur reality. It was fun but boy was it a handful, awful brakes and handling combined with a power band that was like a light switch.

I played with it for a few months and sold it for a small profit.

1647521507833.png

Kawi 1.jpg
Those pipes don't scare me nearly as much as the tires do.

I picked up this old Yamaha 360 last summer and quickly found out that the mists of time can blur reality. It was fun but boy was it a handful, awful brakes and handling combined with a power band that was like a light switch.

I played with it for a few months and sold it for a small profit.

1647521507833.png
My first bike was a 1971 SL125. I had a chance to buy a fairly clean one about 10 years ago. It was local so I went over the guys house to look at it and ride it. I couldn't believe how slow it was and generally a POS. At 16 it was the coolest thing ever, at 55 it was just old junk. I walked away, trying to keep my memories intact.

My first bike was a 1971 SL125. I had a chance to buy a fairly clean one about 10 years ago. It was local so I went over the guys house to look at it and ride it. I couldn't believe how slow it was and generally a POS. At 16 it was the coolest thing ever, at 55 it was just old junk. I walked away, trying to keep my memories intact.
I may be stereotyping a little bit, but is seems like the folks with the racer go fast gene don't like the lack of performance of old bikes. I guess I am a little different. I really enjoy riding the old bikes I still own. 3 of the 4 are two stroke triples. While far from high performance compared to anything modern, to me there is nothing like the sound of one of the triples when its on the pipe(s).

I wasn't much into street bikes back then, but my intuition tells me an H2 might be a little faster than a SL125. And I would ride a nice restored H1 or H2, but I couldn't afford in 1974 and I certainly can't afford it now!

I wasn't much into street bikes back then, but my intuition tells me an H2 might be a little faster than a SL125. And I would ride a nice restored H1 or H2, but I couldn't afford in 1974 and I certainly can't afford it now!
Says the guy that just bought an airplane...

I paid $600 for mine when I bought it.

They were top notch tires back in the day. That photo looks pretty old. I use BT45s these days and they work pretty good on old bikes.

Yes on both counts. The photo was from 1977 and the Conti tires were considered excellent and performed very well! We used to shit on the Kawi that when I look back was completely insane...including sparks flying from those pipes dragging in the turns 2 up and on the gas!

Says the guy that just bought an airplane...

I paid $600 for mine when I bought it.
I never said it was a wise financial decision on my part. So what decade did you buy yours, or how many baskets did it come in?:D

Top Bottom Back Refresh