What's new

Opinions on a 990

Gravelcruiser

Member Number
I recently saw 2012 990 up for sale, miles are higher than I would like to see at close to 50,000. But the price is within reach and I'm looking for something a bit more road friendly than my dear ole DR. Since I know nothing good, bad, or otherwise about these bikes. Give me some of your thoughts. Buy or shy?

If it is priced right.....

Well sorted out?

Ten year old machine.

My 1190R is way better than my 09 990r IMHO.

Idle hunting can be an issue.

Give up some details. Sure no one is going to go snag it on you.

I've seen people wanting 9 grand for some of them. That's way high.

The bike is at a dealership, so the price is probably higher than it should be imo just due to the fact a dealer has it. I haven't went to look at it in person as its a couple hours away,so I don't have any real details other than it looks decent in the pictures. Priced at $7000.00. I've bought enough used bikes over the years to know it can be kind of risky for one with that many miles, but I also know if one has been cared for it may not be such an issue. I would like to know mainly things to look for. If they are historically trouble free machines. Or if they have had lots of issues.

I had a 2010 and a 2013 990 by then the bikes were well sorted out, so a 12 shouldn’t have any inherent flaws.
You didn‘t mention which model 990 it was, standard or R but depending on what your planned use is that might effect your decision.
The standard has abs, but the R has slightly more horse power, and more travel.

In late 2019 i sold my 2013 990 with 35k, it was loaded and very clean. I started at $9k and dropped it and dropped it till i was able to sell it for 6000$. I kinda needed to sell it because I fell in love with a particular 1290. It was a good bike, loved it and it ripped, but it's not "trouble free" by any means. You need to be able to wrench.

Thanks guys. I found an article that went pretty in depth on the 950/990 adventures. After reading it, I'm thinking this may not be the bike I'm looking for.

Thanks guys. I found an article that went pretty in depth on the 950/990 adventures. After reading it, I'm thinking this may not be the bike I'm looking for.

Not too scare you off, but what kinda riding you looking to do?

Missouri is a heaven for a 990 type machine

I ride all sorts of off-road. I have a pretty well sorted 350xcfw for the rougher stuff. My trusty ole DR650 has been my heavy bike for the past 9 years for general dual sport. But the lack of wind protection as I get older wears on me on a long slab day. I don't do those often, but now the kids are gone, I intend to do more. I do think a 990 is a great bike, but I believe I'll keep looking for something with lower miles than this particular one.

Sounds like what you want is a newer 690/701 with a rally tower for wind protection.
My 701 worked great on a 4,000 mile loop of western Mexico last fall that included everything from rough rocky dirt, to long 400 mile days of highway.

I've often thought about those bikes. The 2 main complaints I hear are the smaller fuel tank and the close ratio transmission. I'd certainly consider one if I could get a chance to ride one. Plus I think with the purchase price plus the rally tower ( which look really freaking good) would put me into multi cylinder adv bike price territory. My plan currently is to keep the DR. It's almost family at this point.

$7000 is too much for a 50k mile bike, well sorted or not. I have 2 friends riding 07 990s and each had about 37k miles when the bought them. The cleaner bike was $6000ish, the other one had suspension done, dirt wheels, high fender, but had been ridden a little harder was $5600.
The bike you are looking at should be under $6000. I had an 08 990R and really loved the bike but they do have some idiosyncrasies

I recently saw 2012 990 up for sale, miles are higher than I would like to see at close to 50,000. But the price is within reach and I'm looking for something a bit more road friendly than my dear ole DR. Since I know nothing good, bad, or otherwise about these bikes. Give me some of your thoughts. Buy or shy?
I got a 990 sm-t and a 950 adv.

Would I buy it with 50k?

Yes, knowing what I know now if the price is right.

I bought both knowing nothing and the price was still right.

Realistically, it's going to be a learning curve on maintenance, but if you want a "Ferrari fast" bike that can do dirt ROADS I cannot think of anything better.

Have you ridden one?
Actually I haven't, I've been around a couple, but what I could tell is they sound amazing, and seem very capable. At least, if the rider has the skills. My heavy bike for the last 9 years has been a DR650, So quite the step up if I get one.

Actually I haven't, I've been around a couple, but what I could tell is they sound amazing, and seem very capable. At least, if the rider has the skills. My heavy bike for the last 9 years has been a DR650, So quite the step up if I get one.
I got no skill dirtwise but is an easy bike to ride if you are close to six feet tall.

If the price is right, you could give it a try.

I have read the 1190S are decent off road bikes, and amazing street bikes. In my area there are a few examples with 30k miles for $6kish. Maintenance is decent and if it's been mainly a street bike for someone the air filter issues won't be a problem. (If they have installed a Rottweiler intake it's fixed).

I recently picked up a 1090R to replace my own DR650 as I have too many miles of asphalt before I hit any significant dirt. So I feel your pain of higher speed tarmac for long durations.

I have read the 1190S are decent off road bikes, and amazing street bikes. In my area there are a few examples with 30k miles for $6kish. Maintenance is decent and if it's been mainly a street bike for someone the air filter issues won't be a problem. (If they have installed a Rottweiler intake it's fixed).

I recently picked up a 1090R to replace my own DR650 as I have too many miles of asphalt before I hit any significant dirt. So I feel your pain of higher speed tarmac for long durations.
I've recently seen a listing for an 1190 and will probably go check it out next weekend if it's still there. The 1090 sounds like an amazing bike as well. Congrats on the new purchase.

Back
Top Bottom