What's new

OSHA? no, Ocean.

1645113900502.png

I watched this electrician in Budapest string an ethernet line across a factory without ever descending his ladder.

We had an osha worker suggest that we somehow should come up with a clear cylindrical guard to encase the drill bit on the shop's drill press. I am still laughing about it today. I dont think that osha employee had a clue. I wonder what would have been suggested for the lathe.

As soon as he left...I was torching off bolts next to a plastic gas tank.

Only thing more annoying than a Safety person is a Q.A. person... seems like for every 1 thing they get right they screw up at least 10 other things and are never accountable for the chaos and cost.

I call em idea people. They insist their idea is implemented with someone else's busted knuckles. Then the genius runs for the hills at the 1st problem. Or lays the blame on anyone but themselves. This is a top paying job in this country.

Believe it or not, and I still dont, we have a safety person who participates helpfully in meetings, gives guidance in the engineering discussions to actually implement safe controls. 1st helpful one I've ever worked with.

Believe it or not, and I still dont, we have a safety person who participates helpfully in meetings, gives guidance in the engineering discussions to actually implement safe controls. 1st helpful one I've ever worked with.
My friend is an outside contractor that can shut down a big entity. I get a little insight every once in awhile. But the stuff that really bugs him is bs and definitely foolish dangerous stuff or 101 type situations. We both joke that most info is readily available. And online culculators exist for everything.

I set him off one night about talking about rigging and the law of sine. He once dealt with an expert rigging a big metal part to a train car and he waved the no go flag. This eventually was sorted with graph paper and the requested changes being made with the chain angles. The comical part he was just cruising around outside usually outside of his scope of things.

I'm all for sanity checks by folks who know what they're doing... but sadly it seems like lots of QA/Safety people get promoted to the job after having screwed up something and cost $$$ and time and wasting peoples time is the only thing they really do well. My favorite is when they poke their noses in to witness a connector mate despite knowing f-all about what the connectors are and what they do- but OMG depart from the checklist that they don't understand either and theres all h3ll to pay.

The consequence of all that b.s. is, of course, a lot of work that ought to be better supervised and controlled happens on the d.l. just to get important things done. There have been a few times I'd have skipped going into the lab and cleanroom if I knew the old QA guy was sniffing around. I was fixing a server once and the tool kept interrupting over my shoulder about what I was doing, as if he knew anything about it.

His predecessor was pretty good- not super helpful and a bit fussy about dotting I's and crossing T's on documents that nobody cared about, but at least he had a sense of humor about the "work prevention" aspects of QA. That later guy though...

Last edited:
My Safety folks want a full blown "confined Space"training course" to dig a 3 foot deep hole, 3 feet wide and 7 foot across, basically a big pre-formed hand hold

Crete day.jpg

My Safety folks want a full blown "confined Space"training course" to dig a 3 foot deep hole, 3 feet wide and 7 foot across, basically a big pre-formed hand hold

I think we get our safety folks from the same place you get yours. Our guy wasted about 10 peoples time most of a day, including the truck driver, so as to remove a 75lb control box from a shipping crate to a workbench.

Happily he never cared about I.T.; manhandling big ups's and servers high up in and out of racks was way more dangerous and completely unsupervised- so at least we could get stuff done reasonably well.

On the plus side.... Our Safety Person has Never been to any of my job sites.

Best place for most of them is in Teams meetings with management developing document templates and processes that end up being almost entirely irrelevant to the job at hand :rofl

We had an one hour teams meeting today with HSE, big presentation about metics of how well were doing, no one died this quarter, etc, etc blah blah blah

Back
Top Bottom