What's new

- Week Our rides today.

Yes that pipe looks out of place. Nice bike otherwise :thumb
Thanks. That's Triumph design at the time ... just a touch awkward here and there. The pipe looks okay, just, when the bags are installed ( I can live with it anyway), but even the ST, with the SSSA, has it positioned slightly upward. It may be a difference in the swingarm - my RS has a double sided as opposed to the single sided on the ST.

So yesterday my brother, myself and a friend of us rode up to the town of Okeechobee for breakfast and had a great ride on the east side of lake Okeechobee both going up and coming back south. The ride was uneventful until we were about 20 miles from home, when we came up to a motorcycle accident on the north bound lane of US 27.

My brother actually saw the bike go down, so we made a quick u-turn to lend a hand. Fortunately another rider, who was riding with the couple that crashed and a pickup truck, were at the scene already blocking traffic and had dialed 911. We provided water, shade and some comfort for the crash victims until EMS and police showed up.

They were lucky in that they didn’t high side when the bike did the death wobble due to a failing rear tire. In retrospect we think that the tire was maybe old and had been patched by the rider prior to the crash as his riding buddy testified that the tire had a slow leak prior to blowing up,causing the crash. I did find a tire patch kit on scene as well….

The lady was in bad shape having two black eyes, scraped chin with possible facial fractures and multiple road rash patches and a broken wrist. The husband had broken collarbone, cracked ribs and severe road rash as well… Both riders at least did have helmets, likely saving their lives, but they were those typical half helmets not offering a whole lot of protection a full face would have IMHO.

ATGATT would have prevented some of their injuries, but each to their own I guess. Not a nice way to end a vacation ride on your way home as the riders came from northern Florida…

Be safe people!

So yesterday my brother, myself and a friend of us rode up to the town of Okeechobee for breakfast and had a great ride on the east side of lake Okeechobee both going up and coming back south. The ride was uneventful until we were about 20 miles from home, when we came up to a motorcycle accident on the north bound lane of US 27.

My brother actually saw the bike go down, so we made a quick u-turn to lend a hand. Fortunately another rider, who was riding with the couple that crashed and a pickup truck, were at the scene already blocking traffic and had dialed 911. We provided water, shade and some comfort for the crash victims until EMS and police showed up.

They were lucky in that they didn’t high side when the bike did the death wobble due to a failing rear tire. In retrospect we think that the tire was maybe old and had been patched by the rider prior to the crash as his riding buddy testified that the tire had a slow leak prior to blowing up,causing the crash. I did find a tire patch kit on scene as well….

The lady was in bad shape having two black eyes, scraped chin with possible facial fractures and multiple road rash patches and a broken wrist. The husband had broken collarbone, cracked ribs and severe road rash as well… Both riders at least did have helmets, likely saving their lives, but they were those typical half helmets not offering a whole lot of protection a full face would have IMHO.

ATGATT would have prevented some of their injuries, but each to their own I guess. Not a nice way to end a vacation ride on your way home as the riders came from northern Florida…

Be safe people!
Nothing like a first hand view of a MC crash to help you focus. Did the tire go flat or did it come apart?

Nothing like a first hand view of a MC crash to help you focus. Did the tire go flat or did it come apart?
There were small pieces of rubber on the road but you know how dirty 27 is and it was almost impossible to see the tire on that bagger… I think it went flat from slow to fast and the wobble did the rest…

I caught the sunset on a short ride today.

P5290002 (2).JPG

Here a a few pictures of todays ride up the Kingston Peninsula. I had another medical appointment in the city, and combined that with a trip to pick up some parts for my tractor at the dealer in Norton. My appointment was after lunch, so I got on the road early, and of course, took the long way….

Cable ferry across the St. John river at Grand Bay-Westfield.
736744A7-31EF-43DE-8762-E4299B20AF2E.jpeg
F97592A9-1D9A-4411-8F7B-6699C82EDF36.jpeg

A tired looking 944, same as I had back in the 80’s.
3F6E06FD-1A98-4A78-A3F3-628306C4A03E.jpeg

A little library at Long Point.
242420C7-12BC-49A8-9A78-93FF29948FD1.jpeg

Cable ferry across the St.John river at Belleisle Bay.
BA242B62-21D2-4F07-AE1E-245C6663531A.jpeg
CA49C418-953B-4881-90B2-D2F59CE50255.jpeg
C26AB291-C622-41FB-9680-F0E75DCE97C6.jpeg

Belleisle Bay from Hatfield Point.
4E9FCCEF-FA5C-4E00-B9D3-E8FB15204F84.jpeg

Lots of Orange!
0C5DF423-37D5-4CC1-A050-BB174F508887.jpeg

New Brunswick is often thought of as a “drive through Province “, on the way to the rest of Atlantic Canada. The rolling hills and twisting roads, combined with the river ferries and smells of early summer that I encountered today, didn’t leave me wanting for anywhere but home.

Here a a few pictures of todays ride up the Kingston Peninsula. I had another medical appointment in the city, and combined that with a trip to pick up some parts for my tractor at the dealer in Norton. My appointment was after lunch, so I got on the road early, and of course, took the long way….

Cable ferry across the St. John river at Grand Bay-Westfield.
736744A7-31EF-43DE-8762-E4299B20AF2E.jpeg
F97592A9-1D9A-4411-8F7B-6699C82EDF36.jpeg

A tired looking 944, same as I had back in the 80’s.
3F6E06FD-1A98-4A78-A3F3-628306C4A03E.jpeg

A little library at Long Point.
242420C7-12BC-49A8-9A78-93FF29948FD1.jpeg

Cable ferry across the St.John river at Belleisle Bay.
BA242B62-21D2-4F07-AE1E-245C6663531A.jpeg
CA49C418-953B-4881-90B2-D2F59CE50255.jpeg
C26AB291-C622-41FB-9680-F0E75DCE97C6.jpeg

Belleisle Bay from Hatfield Point.
4E9FCCEF-FA5C-4E00-B9D3-E8FB15204F84.jpeg

Lots of Orange!
0C5DF423-37D5-4CC1-A050-BB174F508887.jpeg

New Brunswick is often thought of as a “drive through Province “, on the way to the rest of Atlantic Canada. The rolling hills and twisting roads, combined with the river ferries and smells of early summer that I encountered today, didn’t leave me wanting for anywhere but home.
It's really nice when you can have a great ride while doing things you have to do anyway. It's like getting a ride for free!

Nice bike and nice scenery:thumb

Last edited:
It's really nice when you can have a great ride while doing things you have to do anyway. It's like getting a ride for free!

Nice bike and nice scenery:thumb

Thanks!
I am always amazed how after five months of cold frozen ground, snow, and muck, that summer comes again. Today, more than anything, it was the smells of all of the apple blossoms and liliac trees along the way.
Yeah, and the bike. It's like a locomotive, it just goes and goes....

I made for the hills, getting out of the big city and heading upstate. My goal? To possibly have some fun test riding bikes at Americade. I've never been to Americade, or any other mega moto gathering, but dealers in this area don't offer test rides, so here I am. I'm not looking to buy, BTW, I'd just like to see what this or that bike's like.

Here's my home away from home. A fireplace makes all the difference!

motelFireplace-IMG_0403.jpg

This is the time of year when I envy our northern members. We're already busting 90° here regularly and with the humidity it makes riding close to miserable unless you get out really early (and my old, less than properly functional constitution rarely allows that anymore). I sweat just standing around even at 10 AM here so the weekly Sunday bike hangout isn't even much fun. So, I don't get much riding in during the long summers here, an occasional blast here and there to keep the bike running right while waiting for late September. Or really early October when we go back to SC for a week, SO looking forward to that.

I made for the hills, getting out of the big city and heading upstate. My goal? To possibly have some fun test riding bikes at Americade. I've never been to Americade, or any other mega moto gathering, but dealers in this area don't offer test rides, so here I am. I'm not looking to buy, BTW, I'd just like to see what this or that bike's like.

Here's my home away from home. A fireplace makes all the difference!

motelFireplace-IMG_0403.jpg
Now you need to post a short review of all the bikes you ride!

Rider magazine used to put on rallies and all the major manufacturers would do demo rides. I went to one of their rallies and did demo rides all day.

This is the time of year when I envy our northern members. We're already busting 90° here regularly and with the humidity it makes riding close to miserable unless you get out really early (and my old, less than properly functional constitution rarely allows that anymore). I sweat just standing around even at 10 AM here so the weekly Sunday bike hangout isn't even much fun. So, I don't get much riding in during the long summers here, an occasional blast here and there to keep the bike running right while waiting for late September. Or really early October when we go back to SC for a week, SO looking forward to that.
Why not head up to NC for a week? At higher elevations it's comfortable even in July and August.

Why not head up to NC for a week? At higher elevations it's comfortable even in July and August.
Of course I'd love to, but I'm retired (and not that well) living on social security and can only afford one vacation a year. Pretty much living month to month, all my stuff paid for is the only saving grace. Just got stiffed for an unexpected $900 repair on the transmission on my '95 Silverado, that one hurt.

Of course I'd love to, but I'm retired (and not that well) living on social security and can only afford one vacation a year. Pretty much living month to month, all my stuff paid for is the only saving grace. Just got stiffed for an unexpected $900 repair on the transmission on my '95 Silverado, that one hurt.
Can't like that post. I have lived in Florida a couple of times and I'm glad I don't live there now. Bummer about your truck. That's one of the problems with owning an older vehicle. I have an 02 Avalanche but so far the repair bills have not been too bad.

Top Bottom Back Refresh