What's new

Out of control! $10k KLX-300

motocopter

Member Number

2022 KLX 300 - $9,995 (Nashville)

"Brand new zero miles hard to find KLX 300. This is the camo version. Only 10 listed in the country and no guarntees there are 10 available."

1644976098837.png

A dealer close to me has one at full MSRP which doesn't bother me in this market. But they also added an $899 freight fee and a $200 "Kawasaki Commodity Charge", whatever the hell that is. $899 is robbery for freight and an extra $200 bullshit fee is ridiculous. I know that if I bought it I'd forget about the extra few hundred dollars a year or two from now, but it's the principle of the thing. That's a dealer that will never get any future business from me. There are a handful of them within 200 miles of me but it's a want rather than a need so I'll wait until Fall or a year from now to see how things shake out with the bike shortage.

Last edited:
A dealer close to me has one at full MSRP which doesn't bother me in this market. But they also added an $899 freight fee and a $200 "Kawasaki Commodity Charge", whatever the hell that is. $899 is robbery for freight and an extra $200 bullshit fee is ridiculous. I know that if I bought it I'd forget about the extra few hundred dollars a year or two from now, but it's the principle of the thing. That's a dealer that will never get any future business from me. There are a handful of them within 200 miles of me but it's a want rather than a need so I'll wait until Fall or a year from now to see how things shake out with the bike shortage.
I'm shooting for a collapse in the next couple years. get me a few more bikes for short money.

A friend was looking for a dual sport earlier this year. He wanted a DR650 but most dealers wanted $8,500 OTD for a bike with a $6849 MSRP. The local dealer wanted $10,500. He ended up buying a RE Himalayan for far less. Luckily the local RE dealer is not one of those excessive fees places.

At least in my area I've noticed a lot more bikes on the showroom floors than this time last year.

There are dealers out there who aren't charging huge premiums. I called tons of places looking for my KLX last year and found one not tacking on fees.

I like MotoHunt for searching inventory. I also made a spreadsheet with a list of dealers in my area with links to their inventory page so I could more easily keep track of them.

I was looking earlier in the year, talked to several dealers in and out of my area. Some aren't budging off MSRP and adding freight and set up. Understandable in the current environment since that have less to sell, profit needs to be made on fewer machines. However some were blatantly overcharging, and those dealers won't see my smiling face ever again. I expect this trend to continue as manufacturers see what we're willing to pay, they'll adjust production to keep demand high and increase profit margin on fewer sales. The one exception I see is the proliferation of the Chinese motorcycle manufacturers coming in and undercutting, possibly causing others to be more competitive. I'm still pissed at Yamaha for holding us in the US from getting the T7 in this country when most of the world had them available a year before us.

I think that with interest rates going up and a recession likely, we will see inventory going up and dealers will be willing to negotiate price. The high cost of shipping goods across the ocean will keep freight fees high but all the other fees dealers tack on are pure profit for them.

A friend was looking for a dual sport earlier this year. He wanted a DR650 but most dealers wanted $8,500 OTD for a bike with a $6849 MSRP. The local dealer wanted $10,500. He ended up buying a RE Himalayan for far less. Luckily the local RE dealer is not one of those excessive fees places.
I rode mine (DR) home, brand new, .9 miles, for $5250 OTD. :lol2

All of THIS is why I can't even come close to affording a new bike now. And it's disgusting. Not that many of them actually appeal to me.

You got a great deal. How long ago was this?
Week before Christmas, 200...15? yea, 2015 I think. BIke's a 16.

It was weird. The bike was stashed in the corner of the dealer with a bunch of riding gear around it. There were a LOT of bikes there, and this was the only DR. And it was a '16 and it was December 2015.

Week before Christmas, 200...15? yea, 2015 I think. BIke's a 16.

It was weird. The bike was stashed in the corner of the dealer with a bunch of riding gear around it. There were a LOT of bikes there, and this was the only DR. And it was a '16 and it was December 2015.
Until around 2020 it was easy to get good deals on bike. In 2014 I bought a new 2012 Versys 650 for under $5,500 OTD. MSRP was $7,899. In 2020 I bought a 2 new 2020 KLX250 OTD for MSRP + $3. My best ever deal was back in the 80s when I bought a Yamaha 550 Vision for $1800 OTD. MSRP was $3,099.

Have been in and out of Fremont Motorsports in Florence, CO several times over the years. Mostly to check-out the local shop. This year they had a two KLX300SM's. One sold in May. The other, I bought earlier this month. This dealer only charges MSRP and tax. Between now and August, the '23 KLX300 models will be there with the same type of pricing.

I think that with interest rates going up and a recession likely, we will see inventory going up and dealers will be willing to negotiate price. The high cost of shipping goods across the ocean will keep freight fees high but all the other fees dealers tack on are pure profit for them.

Shipping rates are still high, but down from $20K per FEU last Fall, to about $13K as last week. note you can fit a lot of bikes in one 40 footer box

1656505846996.png

Last edited:
Have been in and out of Fremont Motorsports in Florence, CO several times over the years. Mostly to check-out the local shop. This year they had a two KLX300SM's. One sold in May. The other, I bought earlier this month. This dealer only charges MSRP and tax. Between now and August, the '23 KLX300 models will be there with the same type of pricing.

I'd make the drive and be shopping in Aloca TN for the Kawi

https://alcoagoodtimes.com/

That's about what Mosko Moto said in their post about their mid-summer sale. It sounds like they went a little over on their supply, which is better than being completely out of stock for months, like a year ago.
I'm in the MC tire space (among other lines of products) and a dealer for MOTOZ and HEIDNEAU, it has been a mess all summer to get containers shipped over from Thailand (motoz) and Germany (heidenau)

It is getting better, but there is still room for improvement.

The the amount of time the ship is off shore waiting to unload can be well into several weeks, then additional the time in the port. We plan for another 10days as the norm for port time...

1656515690234.png

this all cost time and money. The same applies to BIKES from Japan etc.

1656515877957.png

Back
Top Bottom