What's new

PCX or ADV150?

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
I'm considering getting one of these two. I really like the extra suspension and off road ability of the ADV 150 but I also like the slightly bigger engine and extra power of the PCX.
I have sat on both and fit OK on either one. I also prefer the non linked brakes on the ADV.
Whatever I get it will become my primary around town commuter but will occasionally be ridden in the mountains and taken on multi day trips. It would be nice to get a little extra top speed compared to my 60 MPH Like. I understand that with DR Pulley slider they can get up to around 65-70 MPH.
Any thoughts from those of you who have owned either one?
A few questions:
Does either one have an oil filter.
Does the new PCX require premium gas?
Is either one easier to work on?

I'm also giving some thought to getting a Grom but most likely it will be one of these scooters.

I have a 15 pcx. It has larger diameter wheels than the adv. Last time I checked the suspension difference was small and came to the conclusion the adv was just marketing.

Go with your instincts.

I have owned both. PCX uses regular gas (so does the ADV 150). Removing the plastics from either will be a pain in the butt. You have to start from the very back. You can google removing plastics on a PCX and it will show you several you tube videos. They make it look easy though. It takes time and patience not to crack the thin plastics. I do the maintenance at the dealership so I can't tell you anything else about maintenance. I know you are taller than me and I think the ADV 150 would probably fit you a little better. The new engine on the PCX is a little peppier than the only on the ADV. I personally like the narrow handlebar better of the PCX. The ADV is a better looking scooter IMO. The pearl white of the PCX really shines in the sun. Wheels are now 14 and 13 on both.

There is a used 2022 ADV 150 that's listed on ADV Rider. It's located here in Houston. That would make a nice fly and ride.

From the local Texas forum:

It already comes with a rack and screen. Not a bad price considering it's got 17 miles.

Was just looking at the specs 2022 for both. The new engine has 12.1:1 vs 10.9:1 for the adv. I'd bet the adv will have the new engine next year!

I have owned both. PCX uses regular gas (so does the ADV 150). Removing the plastics from either will be a pain in the butt. You have to start from the very back. You can google removing plastics on a PCX and it will show you several you tube videos. They make it look easy though. It takes time and patience not to crack the thin plastics. I do the maintenance at the dealership so I can't tell you anything else about maintenance. I know you are taller than me and I think the ADV 150 would probably fit you a little better. The new engine on the PCX is a little peppier than the only on the ADV. I personally like the narrow handlebar better of the PCX. The ADV is a better looking scooter IMO. The pearl white of the PCX really shines in the sun. Wheels are now 14 and 13 on both.

There is a used 2022 ADV 150 that's listed on ADV Rider. It's located here in Houston. That would make a nice fly and ride.

From the local Texas forum:

It already comes with a rack and screen. Not a bad price considering it's got 17 miles.
That is a good price but the cost of going that far to get it drives the real price way up. I have been checking around and no one seems to have an ADV 150 in stock although they are expecting some in a month or so. There are some PCX's available.

I did get a price quote from a couple of dealers and they want $5700 OTD or more. I have never paid those kinds of fees in the past but there is no incentive for them to negotiate right now when they can sell everything they get in.

That is a good price but the cost of going that far to get it drives the real price way up. I have been checking around and no one seems to have an ADV 150 in stock although they are expecting some in a month or so. There are some PCX's available.

I did get a price quote from a couple of dealers and they want $5700 OTD or more. I have never paid those kinds of fees in the past but there is no incentive for them to negotiate right now when they can sell everything they get in.
I think he's selling it for $4,100? If your OTD is $5,700, a fly and ride should be close and that ADV 150 has a couple of accessories on it and it only has 17 miles. Food for thought?

I think he's selling it for $4,100? If your OTD is $5,700, a fly and ride should be close and that ADV 150 has a couple of accessories on it and it only has 17 miles. Food for thought?
I'm not crazy about the idea of a fly and ride. I'd rather pick up a bike with my truck. Doing a fly and ride on an essentially new bike would mean braking it in on a high speed ride. It's around 750 miles so I would have to change the oil during the trip. My distance limit for getting a bike is probably around 350 miles unless it is a really fantastic deal. In this case the cost of traveling that distance would wipe out any savings. Even if I fly the cost of a plane ticket, a couple of nights in a motel, gas food etc will be pretty significant. If this bike was half the distance I'd consider it.

I'm not crazy about the idea of a fly and ride. I'd rather pick up a bike with my truck. Doing a fly and ride on an essentially new bike would mean braking it in on a high speed ride. It's around 750 miles so I would have to change the oil during the trip. My distance limit for getting a bike is probably around 350 miles unless it is a really fantastic deal. In this case the cost of traveling that distance would wipe out any savings. Even if I fly the cost of a plane ticket, a couple of nights in a motel, gas food etc will be pretty significant. If this bike was half the distance I'd consider it.

I think you are looking at the fly and ride the wrong way. It is a vacation/trip in its self. I watch for sale ads in Alaska and Pacific Northwest, one day, I’ll pull the trigger on a bike. Fly out and ride it home.

I think you are looking at the fly and ride the wrong way. It is a vacation/trip in its self. I watch for sale ads in Alaska and Pacific Northwest, one day, I’ll pull the trigger on a bike. Fly out and ride it home.
That would be interesting. The roads between Houston and Huntsville not so much. If the bike was in WV I'd be more tempted.

I have a 15 pcx. It has larger diameter wheels than the adv. Last time I checked the suspension difference was small and came to the conclusion the adv was just marketing.

Go with your instincts.
All the reviews say the ADV150 suspension is MUCH better than the PCX although the new PCX has an improved suspension compared to older models.

All the reviews say the ADV150 suspension is MUCH better than the PCX although the new PCX has an improved suspension compared to older models.
Reality is, most all scooters have crappy suspension. I've never seen a scooter with more than just a preload adjustment.
I live 2miles off the pavement, the larger diameter wheels make a big difference.

Reality is, most all scooters have crappy suspension. I've never seen a scooter with more than just a preload adjustment.
I live 2miles off the pavement, the larger diameter wheels make a big difference.
I talked to and rode with a guy who had an ADV150 and a KLX250. He liked the ADV150 better for the off road riding he did in the N. GA. mountains. I doubt that I will feel the same way but I have a KLX250 so I will be able to compare. I have ridden all of my scooters off the pavement a fair amount. The ADV should do better than all of my previous scooters in that respect. I don't expect to do anything really rough or ride very fast when it does get rough. I will primarily ride on the pavement but it will be nice to have a bit more off pavement capability. Compared to the PCX the ADV has an extra inch of suspension travel at both ends and a bit more ground clearance. The rear shocks are much beefier although not adjustable. That extra clearance will allow more speed in the curves on the pavement as well. One of my biggest complaints about most scooters is the lack of cornering clearance.

Some of my favorite roads are what I call "paved goat trails". They are paved but narrow and rough. The ADV should do well there. Being super nimble will help allow me to dodge the bigger potholes.

Worst case I am stuck with a 90MPG commuter in a time of 5 buck a gallon gas.:D

It's true when it comes to comparing it to the previous PCX model. The 2021 and 2022 PCX has much better suspension. Yes the shocks look fancier on the ADV but I don't think the PCX does worse now. They also share the same wheels (14 on the front and 13 on the back).

Picked up the scooter yesterday and got it dirty today.

P6100022 (2).JPG

Congratulations!

Congrats on the new scoot - looking forward to your impressions with it.
Thanks! So far I like it a lot. I only have 84 miles on it so I only have some initial impressions.

I keep hitting the horn when I want to use the turn signals:baldy

105 MPG so far according to the computer. I'll have to see how accurate that is when I fill it up.

It handles great!

The ride is rougher than I expected. It's not that much different than my Kymco on pavement but better off road.

The seat is not very comfortable. I plan on trying a seat pad.

I need to ride the ADV and like back to back to get a better comparison.

P6100023 (2).JPG

Oh yeah, I have yet to get any hot young girls to pose on either one like we see all the time in the scooter girls thread:D

Back
Top Bottom