What's new

Pinlock visor and Gortex jackets

RowBust

Member Number
Been riding for many years and have known about pinlock visors, most of my helmets came with one, known about Gortex jackets for just as long, now call me stubborn but never fitted the pinlock thought just a gimmick, well kick me up the arse for being so stupid. Mate convinced me to try it and went for a ride yesterday, fog mist and torrential rain, clear vision and no fogging, previously I would have been lifting the visor to try and clear the misting constantly, can't believe it's taken mẹ this long. As for the Gortex jacket torrential rain and not a drop inside

Some people struggle with the pin lock, because they don’t read directions. It is adjustable and it is an important step to setting it up. It is very nice tech.

As far as GoreTex. I am not totally sold. Bought a nice GoreTex Jacket and Pants set. They lasted a year before leaking on the first drop of rain. Luckily, Gore offers a great warranty. I got a full refund.

Like RowBust, I had helmets prepped for pinlock for years and never tried it. I finally spent the money a couple of years ago and have not had a fogged shield since. Pinlock is the cat's a55!

Some people struggle with the pin lock, because they don’t read directions. It is adjustable and it is an important step to setting it up. It is very nice tech.

As far as GoreTex. I am not totally sold. Bought a nice GoreTex Jacket and Pants set. They lasted a year before leaking on the first drop of rain. Luckily, Gore offers a great warranty. I got a full refund.
Been told the trick is to hand wash and dry in clothes drier

Been told the trick is to hand wash and dry in clothes drier

Yeah, I was told many tips for caring and feeding of GoreTex. This is tough when I spend a month riding a dual sport bike covered in mud and might only stop once to wash stuff. I was also told that I need to treat the outer shell with waterproofing spray, because if the outer shell gets wet, the GoreTex can’t hold the water back. :lol3 I am surprised Klim did not tell me it was my fault for riding in the rain. I have found it is easier to just buy Frogg Togg outer covers and dispose of them every so often.

I've had good luck with Goretex for street use. If you're a commuter or do multiday trips with a chance of rain it's awesome to just keep riding with the gear you already have on and know you won't get wet. Stopping to put on outer layers, usually after you're already wet, sucks. But for day trips when I know I won't get rained on I prefer non-Goretex because it breaths better. I don't think Goretex makes sense for offroad where it's going to get muddy. That'll clog the pores and the Goretex will have all the breathability of a garbage bag.

Been using Pinlock for years after having tried every damn thing imaginable. Depending upon how often you ride in the rain and/or cold, a Pinlock has eventually stops working well. I need to replace mine every year or so, but many folks go 2-3 years (unless they get too scratched up first.) If possible, I get mine replaced at a rally or bike show by a pro like The Service Pavilion. Same with my Arai shields.

Aaahhhh yes...pinlocks and Gore Tex. I had my first pinlock on my Schuberth E1 helmet. It worked great for a year or more and then the seal failed. It's a real pain in the ass having water between that and the shield. I ripped it out and so far haven't replaced it. But yes great when it worked. Having water get on the inside of the visor on my hemet did not make me happy either but the last run in the rain a few weeks ago it was fine. Now I do fog up a little here and there. I pretty much need a new visor but am loath to spend the $$.

As for Gore Tex I bought the top of the line suit from Klim 7 or 8 years ago at least. Last summer was the first time I got wet. Being fairly far from home I was not amused. That being said I had never done any care on that suit so it was to be expected. Shortly thereafter I did the Nikwax wash and did the wash in treatment plus full on spray on top of that. My run in the rain a few weeks ago I was wet yet again.

I have the supplies for retreatment but I will wait until spring for that hoping to last the summer.

It certainly is not the be all/end all and it does work reasonably well in the beginning but when you're spending upwards of $2500 for a suit you want the damned thing to last! Interesting to read the Mosko Moto story of how they went about finding fabrics they liked for their outerwear, they did not go with Gore Tex as they found a brand they liked better.

Which brings me to Gore Tex in footwear. Talk about a bunch of marketing bullshit! The whole point is to keep the pores clean to breath. How do you do that with a pair of shoes? The pores are going to clog up and then your foot is in a plastic bag until you wear through that. Needless to say I will not buy any footwear with Gore Tex.

When I wear leather I have a rubber rain suit I thrown on over that. 100% waterproof if there are no holes.

Glad I'm not riding today it's coming down pretty good out there.

Pinlock have been 100% reliable for me. They're not hard to get adjusted if you just look at the seal from the outside of the visor and make sure it's compressed all the way around.

Goretex in boots has been 100% reliable for me over three pair of boots.

I've got a winter suit that I don't need ( or want) to be breathable. I temporarily removed the inner comfort liner, turned the suit inside out and painted the whole interior using thinned down silicone. It's perfect. The armor deteriorated and needed replacing and the sealant is still holding.

Dianese's D-Dry in-house waterproof membrane has been 100% reliable in both jackets and pants. The rain liner for my Scorpion jacket works perfect, but it's cut shorter than the tail of the jacket. The jacket wicks water off the seat and the short liner let's it start soaking in around my waist.

Whatever is in my Joe Rocket gloves has been the only thing that has been reliably waterproof for me in regards to gloves.

Nikwax spray on or wash in stuff has been useless after several attempts. Sure, water initially will bead and roll off, but it wears away nearly instantly. Pretty sure you'd be time and money ahead to just use normal wax. If[UWSL] you've got the inclination to mess with it, SnoSeal works fine on boots. But like any other wax, it's temporary and will rub off quickly. [/UWSL]

Pinlock has been ok in my RF1400. Every other helmet, garbage. My dual sport helmet has a heated visor now. that was the end all solution.

+1 for pinlock. I use gortex pants and jacket from my military days. Works good.

Back
Top Bottom