What's new

Plastics

Ausfahrt

Member Number
I stupidly tried to remove one of the side covers from my '71 Honda SL350 in freezing weather and of course it broke. :doh

I have applied JB plastic weld to the back side of the panel so it is now structurally sound but I still need to address and fill the gap on the front side where it cracked so that I can paint it to make it presentable.

It's a fifty year old bike and it doesn't have to be perfect. I generally suck at anything related to paint & body work so I'm looking for suggestions on what to use and maybe a few pointers to get me headed in then right direction on this repair. Here are a few pictures....
IMG_2643-X4.jpg

IMG_2644-X4.jpg

IMG_2645-X4.jpg

Why not try and get some fine GRP mesh and resin and reinforce the back of the panel over your JB weld repair to add overall strength , build up a few layers and resin it in. This wont add any significant thickness to effect fitting and just fill any surface cracks with plastic padding type elastic and repaint.

I've seen people on YouTube use instant glue mixed with some inert filler on the kind of things.

So I decided to try the cheap route first. I can always order the new reproduction side panels if it doesn't work out, thanks for the info on those BTW.:thumb

I ordered some inexpensive plastic filler from Amazon and after several fill/sand cycles it looked fairly passable. I bought some paint and it's far from professional looking but I'm calling it good enough for a 50 year old Honda.
IMG_2722-X4.jpg

IMG_2849-X4.jpg

IMG_2859-X4.jpg

IMG_2860-X4.jpg

And here's the bike. (pre cracked side panel)
IMG_1367-X4.jpg

Another question.

I picked up a '06 KLR650 a few weeks ago and it spent some time outside in Mew Mexico. The bike is now Kawi pink and I know that it will never look new again but if anyone here has a suggestion I'm all ears.:ear

IMG_2948-X4.jpg

Another question.

I picked up a '06 KLR650 a few weeks ago and it spent some time outside in Mew Mexico. The bike is now Kawi pink and I know that it will never look new again but if anyone here has a suggestion I'm all ears.:ear

IMG_2948-X4.jpg
I took the bed liner off my Sherpa and used heat gun to melt the surface and make it shiny. Found some photos.

1686868952005.jpeg

1686869005649.jpeg

1686869032124.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had good results using wet "Mr Clean Magic Eraser" to remove the oxidation . Then careful use of a hot air heat gun.
Polishing with plastic polish & a microfiber towel will bring up the gloss/shine. Plastic polish also has UV protection in it.

Not as fast or easy as spray bedliner...

Well Fudge.

I was moving the KLR around the garage and bumped it pretty good against the garage door and got this:
IMG_3004-X4.jpg

IMG_3005-X4.jpg

It's very brittle.

I looked on eBay for a used one but they were stupid expensive and most of them were just as bad as mine. So my journey of plastic repair education looks like it will have another chapter. I'll let y'all know how it goes, stay tuned.:dunno

I put a DR650/DRZ 400 headlight assembly on my first gen KLR because I hated the stationary headlight. They're cheap and way nicer looking. DR650 fender really cleans up the ass end. Both items are much lighter and the Suzuki headlight lens cast light much better than the stock lens. I think that's a CRF fender on there? XR 650R front end worked work well with the stock master cylinder and gave a pretty damn nice front brake. Kawasaki should be whipped for failing to put a proper fork and caliper on a KLR yet. Can't blame that on emissions grandfather laws.

Screenshot_20230629-222431~2.png

Screenshot_20230629-222409~2.png

Screenshot_20230629-222346~2.png

Last edited:
Well Fudge.

I was moving the KLR around the garage and bumped it pretty good against the garage door and got this:
IMG_3004-X4.jpg

IMG_3005-X4.jpg

It's very brittle.

I looked on eBay for a used one but they were stupid expensive and most of them were just as bad as mine. So my journey of plastic repair education looks like it will have another chapter. I'll let y'all know how it goes, stay tuned.:dunno
I think that will continue to give you fits, looks like it's been baked in UV rays for a few years, the plastic tends to get real brittle over time. You'll know ether way once you attempt the repair.

Back
Top Bottom