What's new

Plumber talk

What a tough spot that is...
When the solution for your customers is opposite of the folks who allow you to work for your customers.
It might be time to ask the AHJ for a variance.

What a tough spot that is...
When the solution for your customers is opposite of the folks who allow you to work for your customers.
It might be time to ask the AHJ for a variance.

Am I reading the code correctly, International Plumbing Code says not to use a house trap?

If you have low flow toilets, it might not be enough water to flush the pipe down properly.

Your county uses the ICC code modified by the county. Many big cities make major changes to the codes.

If you have low flow toilets, it might not be enough water to flush the pipe down properly.

Your county uses the ICC code modified by the county. Many big cities make major changes to the codes.

I doubt any are low flow.

If the ID size of the main sewer trunkline under the building is 6" then the pipe size is too large in diameter for the total fixture units of the 5 apartments. Thus the velocity of the water in the 6" drain is not sufficient to move all solid waste the total distance to the city tap. The waste is left behind and eventually blockages occur.

The correct drain pipe size for 5 apts with 10 baths with 5 laundry and 5 kitchens should be either 3" or 4", depending on configuration of the system. Then the water velocity will carry the waste away.

When I had rental properties, the lease agreement placed the cost burden of drain stoppages within the unit upon the tenant for fixture stoppages. I would pay for drain stoppages of the yard trunkline. You can install a blow off plug at the cleanout in the yard if the stoppages are between the cleanout and city tap. This would mitigate water damage inside the structure.

If all fixtures in the structure have traps and vents installed then there is zero need for a trap on the main sewer line in the yard. If the plumber ran a camera both ways I would ask for a video and if there is a problem under the house on the trunkline then the plumber's equipment should have a distance counter that will mark LF so you can pin point the defective piping area.

Most codes also spec a pitch rate-generally 1/4" per foot for sewers. I always thought that was a little excessive ( I shot for 1 1/2"-2" per 10feet), but any more, and the water runs off too fast, leaving behind solids, and much less, the water won't carry the solids away quickly.

Top Bottom Back Refresh