What's new

Protect your entire body on every ride

I know a young lady who lost her foot cause she was wear sneakers. Not from the wreck really, but at the er they didn't get all the rubber out of the wound and infection set in after 2days and they ended up wacking it off. And that was on a bicycle

Rode in jeans enough times.... I actually ordered some "riding jeans" today. Better I hope. CE 1 knee pads and reinforcements/slide areas.

As pointed out in another thread ... no mention of gloves, oddly. But I suppose we easily translate the foot damage to any un/under protected part of the body.
I can count on one hand the number of times I've ridden without a helmet/jacket/gloves, but it took some time (until my 40s, which sadly is now 20 years ago) to begin wearing pants with armor. Being a city dweller, there are occasions when I'll simply wear Levis - my Darien pants aren't a great look at the museum. Last year I bought armored jeans to solve that issue.

I wish i could say i ride ATGATT, but i just don't, i know i should but although i always wear a helmet and work boots and generally a jacket and more often than not gloves. I often ride with just normal jeans etc if i am nipping out to town etc, which is probably the biggest risk .
I am ashamed to admit i do need to wear riding pants jeans etc, and i do occasionally wear just open faced helmets or even a trials helmet now and again.

I'll buck this here. I used to be ATGATT but it's not really that cut and dry. I think it's all the gear that's appropriate at the time.

My padded, fifty-layered jacket is rugged and safe, but 90% of our riding is not asphalt and it averages 30-40 mph. When we crawl over technical terrain, I'm dying and exhausted far sooner than I ought to be, and I've finally coming to terms with the fact that my performance plummets, which is arguably a worse place to be in.

I've biffed many times, and I keep all of those in mind. It's a constant assessment of what am I doing, what's happened in the past, and what could happen. For me, helmet, gloves, and MX boots for me are essential. Head, hands, and feet are all pretty important to riding. But there are situations where a jersey and mesh pants are better than rip stop and D3O.

I get that the unexpected is unexpected, but it's an optimization problem. Staying safe is as much being at your best as it is preparing for the unexpected.

Gear is like golf clubs. It is possible to play an entire round with a 3 wood, but not optimal.
There is different gear for different occasions.
My traveling gear is different from my around town gear as are my track gear and trail riding gear.

It is not a one size fits all deal.

Find your best set up, and gear up.

Everytime I meet someone that learns I ride, they ask if I wear a helmet. When I explain how important boots and pants are, they're genuinely surprised.

Everytime I meet someone that learns I ride, they ask if I wear a helmet. When I explain how important boots and pants are, they're genuinely surprised.
Boots! How are you going to do anything on a bike if you fracture an ankle?

And after a hyperextension and one almost crushed toe, I moved away from adventure boots.

On a specific item of gear and without starting a seperate thread.
Helmets?
I do wear open faced helmets probably around 40% of the time on road, i once had a very bad smash on a GS1000 back in the day and my bell star full face took a big hit on the jaw section and i often think if i had not had that helmet on how different the outcome might have been. And Yet i still wear open faced helmets even trials helmets on road.
Do you think i am over emphasizing the full faced helmets good points based on my experience back in the day,? Its yet one more thing i know its sensible to go full faced, yet i guess i am just not sensible despite my experiences.
We are all fine with skimping on safetey gear, but "accidents will happen"

Speaking of which a light hearted respite here by way of an intermission. .

Only reason I'm alive is because of my gear. Sliding at 65mph, I was glad to have the textile pants. They got SHREDDED.
I went over my bars at 60+mph..I slid like superman for about 100'. Wearing a textile jacket. the first few seconds I swear I was speeding up! Like butter on a frying pan. When I got up my jacket looked like someone hit it with a blow torch, Melted spots all over the front.
Chin bar on my helmet and face shield were toast, boot toes wore almost through and my gloves ripped.
The Ambulance driver shook my hand and thanked me for having good gear, then he taped my saddle bag closed and went on his way. The cop threw me my helmet and advised me to get a new one.
I got back on my bike and rode 30 miles home, Mirrors broken, turn signals toast but the bike was intact.
Needless to say though basically un injured. (My thumbs hyper-extended on the bars as I flew over, tearing my glove seams) I was sore as hell for about three days.
The gear works!! wear it in good mind and good health.

The pants are where my armor is lacking. I wear fleece or flannel lined jeans. I would imagine those would be shredded nearly as fast as regular jeans.

I did get a pair of riding boots to replace my all leather high top hiking boots. I had held off because up until now they didn't really make riding boots that were appropriate for hiking/walking. My Forma boots aren't bad.

I have always worn helmet/gloves/motorcycle jacket. Full face helmet too. One look at a rider who is missing their lower jaw kind of convinces you. Trust me, it's a LOT worse than hamburger foot.

ATGATT - great advise

Took a spill last week the even the best gear could not prevent.

PXL_20220304_172928563.jpg ScreenHunter_2294 Mar. 07 18.45.jpg

Proper EMT response is what saved me

Last edited:
ATGATT - great advise

Took a spill last week the even the best gear could not prevent.

PXL_20220304_172928563.jpg ScreenHunter_2294 Mar. 07 18.45.jpg

Proper EMT response is what saved me
Ouch! Sorry to see that, but glad you're okay otherwise. :thumb

Reactions: MVI
Back
Top Bottom