ADV+
Member Number
Base
XT
DE

What's the difference there?

From a local dealer's website,
lgjkls;gk;sdfgsd.png

Can't tell what's what. Only interested in the 650/800 flavor.

I think I'm coming up to a point where I'm going to send the DR650 down the road and get something newer.

The 650 is a V-twin and the 800 is a parallel twin. The 650 has been around forever is bulletproof. The 800 is new.

The base 650 has cast wheels. All the others have spoked wheels but I believe they still use tubeless tires. All of these bikes will be better than your DR650 on the road but way heavier off road.

The 650 has conventional forks. The 800 has male sliders.

The 650 is a V-twin and the 800 is a parallel twin. The 650 has been around forever is bulletproof. The 800 is new.

The base 650 has cast wheels. All the others have spoked wheels but I believe they still use tubeless tires. All of these bikes will be better than your DR650 on the road but way heavier off road.

The 650 has conventional forks. The 800 has male sliders.
Cool beans. That helps.

I guess the DE has a few more electronic gizmos than its predecessor. Seems like the XT would be a better suit for me.

The T700 and V-Strom have been on the top of my list for some time now. I used to think I liked going through trails and stuff, but the more I ride, the more I enjoy dirt roads and curvy paved back roads. I'm over the water crossings, duck walking through mud, and getting high centered on logs.

I have a friend who bought a first gen 650 when they came out in 2004. He had a cooling issue when he rode it off the lot but they fixed that and it was bulletproof for over 50000 miles. I think he adjusted the valves once at around 35000 miles. Then he bought a 1000 and rode it around the country. He still has the 1000 but bought a new 650 XT last year and loves it. His only complaint about the 650 is that the suspension is a step backwards from the 1000.

A couple of previous and current dr and xr 650 owners have gone to the gen3 klr on the other site. I bought a gen3 klr and recently a 2004 DL1000. My other dirt bikes are tw, xt, drzsm, rxv550 and colemans. I really like the dl1000 and use it daily. Work is a logging yard and I prefer not to get my klr or tw muddy. The gen3 klr is impressive in a dull way. The vstrom 1000 makes music above 4000rpm but the klr isnt a slouch when ridden hard. The klr excels in cross winds. The dl1000 is awesome at 80mph plus. Cant speak for the wee or the pee version. But the big strom does handle some crap. Mine is constantly covered in mud. I have never caged to work at the new job..over 3 months of strom commuting. I catch a wheely off a fallen slab for fun sometimes.

OCLandspeeder has a youtube channel. He went from a modded dr650 to a vstrom 650xt then a gen3 klr. Still has the wee and klr. Plenty of immersion type ride videos. No narrating just bikes and bike sounds. The dr was sold to a vlogger who made a great vid. I bet has a million views by now. He claims the klr is better than the dr or wee for his riding. I would link all this but I cracked my screen and phone is about had it.

OCLandspeeder has a youtube channel. He went from a modded dr650 to a vstrom 650xt then a gen3 klr. Still has the wee and klr. Plenty of immersion type ride videos. No narrating just bikes and bike sounds. The dr was sold to a vlogger who made a great vid. I bet has a million views by now. He claims the klr is better than the dr or wee for his riding. I would link all this but I cracked my screen and phone is about had it.
Found them. The videos of him on the XT on the trail is about the same style of riding I'd prefer too.

I was totally settled on a T700, but the 650XT is back to the top as well.

I'll have to sit on each and see.

Of the two, the 800 seems to be be the only viable alternative to the the DR. I briefly had a 650, and although they have a great following and I believe they are great bikes to a certain type of rider. The 650s power delivery was bland for 70 horse, and the bike seemed excessively wide between the ankles. The suspension? Well lets just say basic and leave it at that. I much preferred riding the DR for anything other than a 200 mile plus slab day.

Base
XT
DE

What's the difference there?

From a local dealer's website,
lgjkls;gk;sdfgsd.png

Can't tell what's what. Only interested in the 650/800 flavor.

I think I'm coming up to a point where I'm going to send the DR650 down the road and get something newer.

Let's see. From top of my head. They're all basically the same engine and frame.
The base has cast wheels. XT adds spoked wheels, hand guards and some small modifications. DE replaces XT and adds bigger front wheel and some other small modifications.

Found them. The videos of him on the XT on the trail is about the same style of riding I'd prefer too.

I was totally settled on a T700, but the 650XT is back to the top as well.

I'll have to sit on each and see.
If you are a member of advr, klr forum or the vstrom forum sohot him a message or on the youtube account. Cool dude! Alot Cali desert riding.. I am east coast swamp land. So complete opposite rising terrain on average

.The dl1000 impresses me. Th3 klr is more forgiving. Never rode a t7. But I push the ancient drz option. I have had 2. Good luck on a choice. The dr/xr 650 got slashed for 2up ergos. I wanted the xr with Emig lowering parts. But the klr was ideal. The 650xt seemed over priced at the time.

The strom 90° twin makes music. So a cheap strom won after the whole mess. I like my klr clean and my strom muddy. You might keep the the dr650 for sunday rides and hammer a used strom all over heck and back. The bike does it well. I dont worry about rim rot with cast wheels. 804/805 tires can do alot.

Attachments

• 20230603_064929.jpg
    20230603_064929.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
Looked at it a whole bunch last night after working on the DR650's carb, and I think I'm still set on the T700. The 800DE has a few electronic things that I really don't want. Really just looking for two wheels and a motor. Not all these modes and electronic options.

Top Bottom Back Refresh