What's new

Quickest Way To Get Bike Off Hitch Carrier

DJ_MI

Voted Class Clown 1937
Member Number
HitchCarrierOops-2021-10-15 11.02.42.jpg

Thanks. Always looking for ways to increase effeciency!

That's alright... I had spares in the bed. Have you really seen that happen?

tenor_2.gif

Thanks. Always looking for ways to increase effeciency!

That's alright... I had spares in the bed. Have you really seen that happen?

I had been using a van to transport my bikes, just sticking them inside. Then one day, the van is in the shop and I need to use the hitch carrier. I had not used it in a few years, I dust it off and load the bike up. I forgot the third strap that I put over the rear wheel to hold it in. I hit a bump in the road and the bike popped out, and got drug for a couple hundred yards, by the straps.

As far as melting tires, I have seen it hundreds of times at the bicycle shop I worked at. Moto tires are thicker but it is possible

I never considered the possibility of the exhaust damaging the tires. The bike rode back there for probably 25 hours last year...

Yeah, I'm always a little concerned with the bike on the carrier but I think I've got the rigging down so if I don't forget anything I don't think it's coming off unless the carrier breaks.

And for dropping it off the carrier, now I use a tether from the handlebar to a cleat in the front of the bed so it can't tip off the back.
HitchCarrierTeather-2021-10-17 18.39.16.jpg

I had been using a van to transport my bikes, just sticking them inside. Then one day, the van is in the shop and I need to use the hitch carrier. I had not used it in a few years, I dust it off and load the bike up. I forgot the third strap that I put over the rear wheel to hold it in. I hit a bump in the road and the bike popped out, and got drug for a couple hundred yards, by the straps.

As far as melting tires, I have seen it hundreds of times at the bicycle shop I worked at. Moto tires are thicker but it is possible
Yep, I've seen it happen to bicycle tires when I worked at the bicycle shops, too. On one occasion, the exhaust was so hot it melted the aluminum rim!

Since it was the first time I'd ever used a carrier I was a bit paranoid going 600 miles on its maiden voyage. I did all the usual strapping down, along with a safety strap (yellow) through a cast web in the right side of the cylinder head to the inside rear of the bed under the tonneau on both sides. I was still paranoid but it all went really well. Yes, I put casters on the carrier to help me maneuver it around once off the truck, too heavy to carry for my old back
20211022_071513.jpg

Since it was the first time I'd ever used a carrier I was a bit paranoid going 600 miles on its maiden voyage. I did all the usual strapping down, along with a safety strap (yellow) through a cast web in the right side of the cylinder head to the inside rear of the bed under the tonneau on both sides. I was still paranoid but it all went really well. Yes, I put casters on the carrier to help me maneuver it around once off the truck, too heavy to carry for my old back
20211022_071513.jpg
More bike pics please! :D

The casters are a very clever touch, I think.

20211022_071513.jpg
What kind of carrier is that?

I love casters. A few years ago I started adding them to all sorts of stuff and I never knew what I was missing.

And more bike pics please.

What kind of carrier is that?

I love casters. A few years ago I started adding them to all sorts of stuff and I never knew what I was missing.

And more bike pics please.
More bike pics please! :D

The casters are a very clever touch, I think.
Thanks guys, it just seemed logical to me. The carrier is an ungainly thing, easy to lift when positioned near the hitch receiver but otherwise too bulky to be moving around much. I roll it out to one of my storage sheds and strap it upright against the wall when not in use.

I bought the carrier used so I have no history on it except a sticker on it from Scooterworks, but it must have been some time ago because they don't sell them anymore. I figured it was capable of carrying my 450 (weighs 346 in current form) after knowing the original owner used it for his Honda 250 Ruckus scooter which weighs about the same.

I'm a little surprised anyone wants to see more pics of my 450, so many dislike it because it's a restomod patterned after something few care to talk about on any forum (a street-legal drag bike).
jFAcR4T.jpg

That's a great looking bike. That carrier looks very heavy duty. It's nice that the tie down points have a lot of space from the centerline of the bike. I still had a strap on the truck side of my bike when it tipped over. The shallow angle allowed the strap to pivot with the bike kind of like a double wishbone suspension.

I might suggest using ratchet straps instead of the cam buckle style straps.

Thanks! You can see the whole transformation here if interested.

Yeah, I lucked up on a decent carrier. I hear you on using ratchet straps, I just hate dealing with them as they can be a PITA to work with but you're right, they are more secure. Though I've never actually had them slip before, I'll probably use the ratchet versions next trip to be safer

Thanks! You can see the whole transformation here if interested.

Yeah, I lucked up on a decent carrier. I hear you on using ratchet straps, I just hate dealing with them as they can be a PITA to work with but you're right, they are more secure. Though I've never actually had them slip before, I'll probably use the ratchet versions next trip to be safer

Very cool build! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom