What's new

R1100RS to R1100GS question>>> Update

south east okie

ADV+
Member Number
I have a chance to pick up a '96 R1100rs parts bike cheap,(bill of sale , no tittle). My question is : will a enough of the RS parts cross over to the 1100gs for it to be worth me buying?

The only reason I would buy it would for parts that will cross to the 1100gs.

The engine and tranny will swap over, although the tranny is an M94, so it's prone to the "third gear skip." Swingarm and final drive too, I assume. Starter. Fuel pump. Levers maybe? Prolly sell the wheels for a few bucks.

The RS motor made more HP than the GS so probably different cams and maybe other engine parts are different too.

I'm picking a '99 1100gs ,parts bike ,(bill of sale no tittle) from the seller tomorrow.

He offered the RS for $400, 110k miles setting outside . "Ran when parked" He wants to get rid of it, I'll see what he says when I pick up the GS tomorrow.

I think I should be able to get my $$ back plus , parting it out.

What do you think Jim? You are my expert on all BMW R11xx.

I think the engine would work. I know some parts will cross over, drive shaft , final drive . ect. But at 110k miles the drive shaft is about used up , final drive no problem , just a couple bearings and seals to rebuild.

I really probably don't need it, I'm getting a complete '99 gs for spares. I have 2 R1100GS's , the spare bike should be about all I need. But it's hard to pass up a complete 1100 that cheap:dirtdog

After I hit Bambi with my 95 R1100GS I decided to sell the bike for parts. I put it on the ADVr flea market for $990. People were fighting over it. A guy from Ohio drove down from Ohio and picked up. My GS had 87K on it and the guy had a GS with a blown engine.

I'm picking a '99 1100gs ,parts bike ,(bill of sale no tittle) from the seller tomorrow.

He offered the RS for $400, 110k miles setting outside . "Ran when parked" He wants to get rid of it, I'll see what he says when I pick up the GS tomorrow.

I think I should be able to get my $$ back plus , parting it out.

What do you think Jim? You are my expert on all BMW R11xx.
$400. Hell yes. Prolly fix it up, ride it for awhile, then sell it and make some money.

Went yesterday and picked up the '99 1100gs.

The good; I't's a complete bike , 47k miles , ohlins , hard parts , (tranny and steering), has a huge fuel tank , I think GSA , PIAA aux lights, oem side cases , Hepco Becker top case. And a 2 headlight setup I haven't seen before, an odd lower front fender, and a 2 taillight system I haven't seen before.

The bad; No Tittle, has been sitting outside for at least 2 years, (and hasn't been started since 2018) the cases are all sun faded, 1 side case has a broken lock, (works with screw driver) , front shock is leaking

I looked in the tank with a flashlight, and doesn't look to bad , I haven't pulled the pump plate where I can really see what it looks like.

I looked at the 1100rs, it was really rough, broken levers , clutch and brake, broken plastic, no seat 110k miles and also no tittle. I didn't buy it. Looked like it would cost more than it is worth to get it running and titled.

Back
Top Bottom