What's new

R1200GSW experience with pivoting Rox Risers?

pcoburn

Member Number
Wondering on others opinions of the ROX Risers for the R1200GSW/R1250GSW. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe they just aren't the right ones for me...

Maybe that's how the all are (I've only had "regular" and not pivoting risers before) but the way the riser clamps into the existing BMW mount on the triple tree, I have to tighten up the rear set of bolts to where the risers are still a little loose (so I can pivot them back to get to the front bolts). And then for the front bolts I have to have the bars further back than I'd like to be able to get to those bolts. With some trial and error on the rear bolts I was able to get it fairly stable but I still seem to get some movement in the bars after a couple of rides (bar is skewed left a bit as I'm going straight).

So 1) the bars seem to need to be angled quite a bit back (or forward) to get the bolts tightened, and 2) the overall mount isn't tight (I have the bar clamps torqued to factory spec).

Installation error, or just a compromise of this type of riser? I know they're pretty popular so I'm assuming it's something I'm doing wrong!

Yeah, one side gets covered by the brackets for my setup as well. loosen all the bolts, then find the right depth to screw in the covered bolts so that everything is tight when you snug up the opposing side. position bars where desired, tighten up opposite side. That's at least how I did it, and they have been stable for several years for me. I don't reposition them much, I just needed a closer reach. I did buy a pair of adjust levers off McMaster that would allow for hand adjustments when desired, but I never got round to installing them.

I had them for a while on my '09 GSA and, after a couple of trips, I removed them. For me, they were too fiddly. On my GSAs since then, I adjust the bars up a couple of degrees.

Mike

Reactions: MVI
Sounds like I just need to figure out if I can get them in a comfortable position - I'd like them a little further away than they are now, but I don't want to rotate just the bars further forward because I don't want them to move any higher. I'll loosen everything up and see if I can find a combination of riser and bar position that works and lets me tighten the bolts.

You have to play around with them to find what best works for you. It isn't just going up and back either. Any change in the angles between your shoulders and wrists make a big difference between comfort and agony, specially if your ride long distances. Subtle changes work best IMHO...YMMV

I went camping last weekend but didn't want to mess around with the bars during the trip so I haven't had a chance to play around with them. Part of the challenge is there's a "dead zone" in the middle where you can't tighten the clamp bolts - it has to be pretty far forward or back to get to the "other" set of bolts. So I think it will take a few tries to get it in the right spot. It usually takes at least an hour or so before I start feeling some tightness across my shoulders/neck.

I had a set of 40mm straight risers prior to the Rox risers. They were an improvement for me but I was still feeling it in my shoulders. I set the Rox about half up and half towards me. This works nice for highway use. Hasn't cramped my technical riding. I have had 4 RTs...all with bar-baks, Sargent and touring screen, so I'm used to that sort of bar position. I like sitting back on the fat part of the seat when I'm doing long miles. That's a lot easier when the bars are a bit closer. I'm also finding it very easy to stand on the pegs with the new bar position. I did tip the bars up and the levers are tilted down a touch from horizontal....still very easy to use from seated position.

I change from high/low seat setting to high/high depending on my whim. Both work OK. Both not perfect. I have a Sargent seat with the grippy covering...essential for the GS seat. I had the stock, slipperly Sargent material first and had them recover it with grippy...much better.. The stock material is OK for jeans or leathers, not OK for textile riding pants.

Last edited:
Wondering on others opinions of the ROX Risers for the R1200GSW/R1250GSW. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe they just aren't the right ones for me...

Maybe that's how the all are (I've only had "regular" and not pivoting risers before) but the way the riser clamps into the existing BMW mount on the triple tree, I have to tighten up the rear set of bolts to where the risers are still a little loose (so I can pivot them back to get to the front bolts). And then for the front bolts I have to have the bars further back than I'd like to be able to get to those bolts. With some trial and error on the rear bolts I was able to get it fairly stable but I still seem to get some movement in the bars after a couple of rides (bar is skewed left a bit as I'm going straight).

So 1) the bars seem to need to be angled quite a bit back (or forward) to get the bolts tightened, and 2) the overall mount isn't tight (I have the bar clamps torqued to factory spec).

Installation error, or just a compromise of this type of riser? I know they're pretty popular so I'm assuming it's something I'm doing wrong!
Old Post! But for others who may be working with these Rox risers: I tightened the obstructed upper pair of bolts first to "firm" where I could adjust the bars, then tightened the bottom ones when everything was in position. All very secure for over a year now. I've loosened the bars a couple times for maintenance chores since then as well. Everything seems to go OK. Both sets of bolts don't have to be super-tight because the risers slightly pinch the bars. Just get one side so it holds everything but can be moved around, then use the second set of bolts to tighten down the bars. You don't need to go back to the first set of bolts. They can be obstructed. Hope this makes sense to y'all.

Old Post! But for others who may be working with these Rox risers: I tightened the obstructed upper pair of bolts first to "firm" where I could adjust the bars, then tightened the bottom ones when everything was in position. All very secure for over a year now. I've loosened the bars a couple times for maintenance chores since then as well. Everything seems to go OK. Both sets of bolts don't have to be super-tight because the risers slightly pinch the bars. Just get one side so it holds everything but can be moved around, then use the second set of bolts to tighten down the bars. You don't need to go back to the first set of bolts. They can be obstructed. Hope this makes sense to y'all.
That is the correct way to do it.

Top Bottom Back Refresh