What's new

R1200RTP preventative clutch replacement

Shiryas

Member Number
I am going through a 2008 R1200RTP with 35k'ish on it that I bought recently. Its a 'burner' bike that I am shipping to Europe with the intention of riding at least two big trips for 2023 & 2024, anything after that will be based on what I see and do.

At this time no issues with the clutch or drivability. I am doing a bunch of deep maintenance items on the bike in an effort to increase its reliability, negate inopportune repairs on a trip, and in general just know every bit about the bike. On my R1150GSA I had done a clutch job based on posts about premature spline wear and the poor engagement by the friction disc. That bike also had no symptoms but I learned a lot and felt better about my ride to Prudhoe after checking it over.

So it makes sense to tear the bike in half just to check stuff and if I am in there I might as well replace the throwout bearing and the friction disc at least.

My question is more directed to the latter. Any thoughts on roughing up the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces combined with a new friction disc? There is a substantial price jump if I buy the spring plate $469 (thats a lot of lt of fuel or pints of wine) I am looking at options form Beemer Boneyard. https://www.beemerboneyard.com/clutches.html

Ideas, opinions, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Top Bottom Back Refresh