What's new

- Week Rally at the Rock: Combs, Arkansas.

Jay547

Member Number
At the end of September, I went to the Rally at the Rock in Combs, Arkansas. It’s a three-day gathering put together by the Arkansas Razorback Riders as their annual club fundraiser.

bT4BaK3.jpg

I took my old race trailer to camp in and arrived Friday afternoon.

bxNUt0D.jpg

Rick, a guy who I used to sometimes race with about thirty years ago, before he moved to Arkansas, put together a short ride for Friday afternoon. We headed south to Frog Falls. We passed the former Mountain Crest Academy on the way. It was constructed by the Presbyterian Church in 1917 to serve the rural mountain area. It was a boarding school with tuition costing one dollar per month. The first floor was classrooms and the second floor was a library and dormitory. It closed in 1931.

seJvthD.jpg

69wzpYC.jpg

By the time we got to Frog Falls, two of the guys had flats. Rick had a bolt in his tire.

Lmj1c7U.jpg

JD9KyFe.jpg

kin0Lfi.jpg

About half the group decided to turn back. Rick, with the bolt in his tire, kept riding with us. Soon, he told us to just go on without him. We got back just before nightfall. The others went to bed early, I enjoyed an evening by the campfire.

Yhc0E5G.jpg

yfcn8rM.jpg

Early Saturday morning, I took some pics of the camp.

Kq6LcBD.jpg

kouqkcZ.jpg

ZLnUWKF.jpg

Then we took off for the day’s ride. We hit several forest roads and trails and kept up a pretty good pace. We passed multiple riders, none passed us.

Byrd’s Adventure Center had a fly in. We watched for a few minutes.

ZQGSCYV.jpg

vPrmg7O.jpg

We had lunch at Oark, the oldest continually operating general store in Arkansas, established 1890.

88X1E3v.jpg

lp0mSeT.jpg

These guys were riding the Trans America Trail – coast to coast on primarily dirt/unpaved roads. The barefoot one started in Massachusetts.

0KRj9v8.jpg

This is our Saturday group. I’m the Fox rider.

x1Gwfvb.jpg

We rode several more forest roads, then hit the highway on the way back.

lk1sLM6.jpg

zN16U7k.jpg

2Lds7Co.jpg

Sunday morning, I got around before the other guys and took a few pics of the creek that runs through the camp.

VdPFQVn.jpg

nXKxGJ9.jpg

We took the forest roads up to Hanging Rock. That’s me with the helmet in hand. Next to me is my good friend Robert. He has a prosthetic right hand, yet hauls ass. What’s your excuse?

If4k7HX.jpg

Ef0ncia.jpg

There was a music festival at Mulberry Mountain, about three miles away. Those are canopies and easy ups.

bSnfive.jpg

jZL8iiT.jpg

We rode some more forest roads. They were a little more technical this day, so we didn’t get in a lot of miles. We even had one mudslide/closed road we had to ride around.

v731KiM.jpg

nWHyyln.jpg

mWVuWDB.jpg

Mulberry River.

VN4CEfX.jpg

A couple of the guys had a five+ hour drive ahead so we quit riding early in the afternoon. One split off here and the rest of us rode back to camp.

NGO2ajo.jpg

Jbb8NnS.jpg

I wasn’t ready to go, so I rode back to Frog Falls by myself. Since we had the tire problems on Friday, we didn’t get to check out the falls. I spent some time riding around in the area and taking pics.

KltRu4M.jpg

XkshfDo.jpg

vN1aZTE.jpg

vQfL0aC.jpg

8m59C7b.jpg

I’ll go back once we start getting some rain. I’d like to see these falls with some water flowing. I turned back from there and ended the weekend.

QCl5Zev.jpg

This was a blast. I’ll do it again next year.

I really need to get down to this. Only about 6 hours away, but it's always right after Adventurepalooza. Ah, to only have unlimited time and resources.

I really need to get down to this. Only about 6 hours away, but it's always right after Adventurepalooza. Ah, to only have unlimited time and resources.
I feel your pain. I rode the GOAT this past weekend but could only do one of the two days. Working five days a week leaves only two days to get stuff done or take care of other obligations. I've got less than two years to go for retirement. I'm really looking forward to it.

I used to do the club event in the spring called "wudi". boys and I would stay just across the stream in a place called fort rock. I really miss riding down there.

I'd like to hit it next year. Is jeb still coordinating things?

20151010_122153.jpg

Back
Top Bottom