What's new

Rate the city/area you live from a riding perspective.

Pittsburgh Pa, I am a few hundred feet outside of the city line.

Street bike riding: 6/10. There are a good number of twisty roads close and if you want to ride 30 miles, you can get into the mountains and their twisties.

Dual sport: 8/10. There is endless riding (Kind of crosses over with dirtbike), you can jump from green patch of woods to green patch. Plus a lot of abandoned and dirt roads to explore. Like street bikes, a short ride away from the city will access a lot more dirt roads.

Dirt Bikes: 8/10. There are thousands of miles of dirtbike trail within the county that the city is in. The riding is literally endless. If you look at Google earth, any green patch that is not a city/county park, will have dirtbike trails in it. The closer to the city it is, the more singletrack there is. Further away from the city is more quad trail.

Lastly is cost of living, before crazy home prices, a home could be purchased for less than a new car. This ties into riding because the cost of living is so cheap, I can afford to travel to other riding areas. I used to live in Breckenridge Colorado, it was fun but too expensive for someone who is not wealthy. I was so busy working, I could not travel and explore much.

Last edited:
Southern WV
Hatfield-McCoy trail system area.
Other than Interstate 77, straight sections of road more than a few hundred feet long are limited.
Damn curves everywhere. : )

MidTN. Ten miles from closest traffic light and never ride that way. Can easily never see a traffic light all day on two lane twisties. Crooked driveway goes to second gear Butler Red sweeper. Back yard
65FF42F9-7847-4F23-8BBA-948E5718CFD0.jpeg
C50D302E-1AC4-4F73-93D7-FFB76B739F82.jpeg
E632CD05-3A98-45C3-967C-4F62CF9C17A4.jpeg

MidTN. Ten miles from closest traffic light and never ride that way. Can easily never see a traffic light all day on two lane twisties. Crooked driveway goes to second gear Butler Red sweeper. Back yard
65FF42F9-7847-4F23-8BBA-948E5718CFD0.jpeg
C50D302E-1AC4-4F73-93D7-FFB76B739F82.jpeg
E632CD05-3A98-45C3-967C-4F62CF9C17A4.jpeg
A lot of my local rides are in middle Tennessee for the reasons you mentioned. Lots of great roads with no traffic or any traffic lights.

Southeast Oklahoma, county I live in borders Ar & Tx. I live 30 miles from town,that's good, 75 miles from the nearest motorcycle shop, not good. UPS and Fedex know where I live:-) I rate where I live 9 out of 10

Good pavement riding , lots of twisties , not much traffic, north and east from where I live. Hundreds of miles of dirt logging roads that I can ride on a 1100gs, even with my low skills. Can ride from the middle of March till 1st of October , gets little hot in July and August.
I rate the riding 8 out of 10.

Southeast WI here. I would say moving 3 hours North or West would put me in much much better riding territory in all categories. The North direction would probably keep me well enough employed where I could afford to moto more.

(Road Warrior only here.) My state, Delaware, has but a small handful of truly excellent riding roads, only one of which is more than ~10 miles long. However, my town is mere minutes from gazillions of great back roads in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

North Dallas in Texas is at best a 2 out of 10. Too much traffic with most cagers and even two wheelers proving the general genetic gene pool has gotten too shallow. Takes 45 minutes to an hour to get outside the city to even start to enjoy the ride.

Other cons include very hot and muggy summers. Very limited dirt roads available. Texas has very limited public riding opportunities as almost all land is privately owned.

On the positive side, if you can get west of Ft. Worth, there are some good roads. The weather in fall, winter, and spring is usually pretty acceptable for riding.....

central texas, gatesville specifically.

I'd rate it about a 8. only been here since the start of spring, weather is damned near perfect year round. Sure, it rains heavy sometimes and the hail can be substantial, but neither of those seem to last very long. Hour vs days. Heat doesn't bother me, i'd rather be on the bike than my non-ac truck, so a few months above or near 100* is pretty nice. Roads are generally in good condition comapred to much of the country, wide and high speed. Some elevation change, probably a turn or two. Not abundant mountain rides or anything canyon like that, but just for transportation it's otherwise nice and easy.

for eating up highway, there's about no better place to be. Middle texas doesn't get so much of the big wind stuff like the open areas north and west of here, nor the hurricanes to the east.

edit: traffic? what traffic 😆 easy to avoid the 4 metropolis in the state. fawk them

South Florida, 300 + miles and 11 curves... :lol3 I saw the T-shirt..... :rofl What can I say. The suck factor is big only because we have so many selfish un(der)educated and uninsured morons attempting to drive here. So a 0 out of 10.
Fortunately if you can manage, by carefully timing your ride, to make it down to the Keys there are a lot of sights to see.
We usually ride north toward Sebring as a friend of the family (cage)-races up there on the track and there are a few foodie places too. The backroads to, and from, aren't too bad and we even have some twists and turns and some off-road in the mix. So south of Lake Okeechobee it pretty much sucks, but north isn't bad at all. It does require a 300 mile day of riding however... :ricky

Junction City, Kansas. I'd give it an 7/10 for riding.

I'm right at the edge of the Flint Hills. There are thousands and thousands of miles of dirt and gravel roads to the middle of nowhere where you will not encounter traffic (excluding cattle and tractors). With several small towns that have one good restaurant/café to stop at in the area you will never be too far from a good meal. The roads through the Flint Hills are winding and can range from a well groomed gravel road to a rutted out and over grown, "where the heck is the goat path" kind of road. While Kansas isn't known as a place with a lot of public land, the state boasts many state fishing lakes that allow for primitive camping and a nice place to kick back and relax. The scenery is not consistently spectacular and you will ride miles and miles of straight/boring roads until you find something entertaining.

Winter is cold and summer is hot, but with the right gear you practically ride year round. Yes, you can even ride in April during "burn season". Burn season is when the whole state gets set on fire to help control weeds in pastures. Allergy sufferers wont enjoy the spectacle, but it does make for some awesome photography. Paved roadways are generally in good shape and most cages are not aggressive.

For more technical riding, the School Creek ORV park is just down the road at Milford Lake. This place has a little bit of everything and is restricted to vehicles under 50" wide.

But please, do not move here. Most of use who have willingly made this place our home enjoy the lack of crowds and congestion.

Last edited:
Oahu is bullshit.

A million people on a 586 square mile island....traffic traffic traffic, and on top of that very few actual twisty roads, and most of those are in "ritzy" areas so you get one pass before the police show up.

ABQ is meh. Street riding is OK but to hit the really interesting roads, you're gonna have to go 100+ miles. There are a few OK roads within a 50 mile radius of ABQ but it gets a little boring riding the same three roads over and over again. Other than the handful of interesting mountain and scenic roads, a large percentage of roads in NM and around ABQ are straight, flat and washboard/broken pavement as far as the eye can see. There is definitely good riding out there, but you're gonna be droning along an arrow straight, flat road through the high desert with absolutely nothing to look at for 1-3 hours before you get there. The other annoying thing is that the speed limits on most of these roads are 55-65 but people literally drive 90, so you need a pretty capable, high capacity bike to not be a hazard out there. It makes small bikes like my TU250 not very useful out of the city. Last weekend I was on such a road on my F800GT, doing 65-70 in a 55, and got aggressively tailgated then passed by an SUV doing probably 100mph. You literally can't drive fast enough to stay out of the way, so I make sure I give them visibility when passing zones open up.
So I'd rate it a 6.5/10 in ABQ. Go farther north and things improve to a 8.5 or 9/10

North Dallas Fort Worth in Texas is at best a 2 out of 10. Too much traffic with most cagers and even two wheelers proving the general genetic gene pool has gotten too shallow. Takes 45 minutes to an hour to get outside the city to even start to enjoy the ride.

Other cons include very hot and muggy summers. Very limited dirt roads available. Texas has very limited public riding opportunities as almost all land is privately owned.

On the positive side, if you can get west of Ft. Worth, there are some good roads. The weather in fall, winter, and spring is usually pretty acceptable for riding.....
Phixed

Same, DFW is full of cagers and hot in the summer.

To Really have a shot of good DS riding, we go out West to Bowie, Jacksboro, Cleburne, and North East Paris TX.

ABQ is meh. Street riding is OK but to hit the really interesting roads, you're gonna have to go 100+ miles. There are a few OK roads within a 50 mile radius of ABQ but it gets a little boring riding the same three roads over and over again. Other than the handful of interesting mountain and scenic roads, a large percentage of roads in NM and around ABQ are straight, flat and washboard/broken pavement as far as the eye can see. There is definitely good riding out there, but you're gonna be droning along an arrow straight, flat road through the high desert with absolutely nothing to look at for 1-3 hours before you get there. The other annoying thing is that the speed limits on most of these roads are 55-65 but people literally drive 90, so you need a pretty capable, high capacity bike to not be a hazard out there. It makes small bikes like my TU250 not very useful out of the city. Last weekend I was on such a road on my F800GT, doing 65-70 in a 55, and got aggressively tailgated then passed by an SUV doing probably 100mph. You literally can't drive fast enough to stay out of the way, so I make sure I give them visibility when passing zones open up.
So I'd rate it a 6.5/10 in ABQ. Go farther north and things improve to a 8.5 or 9/10

A couple years ago, one early morning I rode my dual sport to the top of Sandia. I got entangled in a group of hopped up RWD cars. They were throwing it sideways on every corner. I was keeping up and checking out the show. I was on non-DOT knobbies, so it was a little sketchy to really drag the pegs.

The roads surrounding the Valles Caldera are a good time too, but that is all I really found in the area.

North Central NC here, love it. Just outside city limits of Greensboro where roads are curvy and hills gently rolling. Trees everywhere. Virginia border 35 minutes away with miles and miles of winding backroads and underpopulated communities on both sides of the state lines. Blue Ridge Parkway - paved road thru the middle of fantastic side roads. Lots of gravel. Easy to avoid population centers and criss cross the region on back roads, eleven Month riding season for me - some summer days too hot and winter days too cold for these old bones. Central and southern NC good riding in spring and winter while western NC is just heaven. Coastal region flat and except for the beach towns is small farming and fishing communities, nice to ride thru since most people usually see how fast they can bypass the areas.

North Central NC here, love it. Just outside city limits of Greensboro where roads are curvy and hills gently rolling. Trees everywhere. Virginia border 35 minutes away with miles and miles of winding backroads and underpopulated communities on both sides of the state lines. Blue Ridge Parkway - paved road thru the middle of fantastic side roads. Lots of gravel. Easy to avoid population centers and criss cross the region on back roads, eleven Month riding season for me - some summer days too hot and winter days too cold for these old bones. Central and southern NC good riding in spring and winter while western NC is just heaven. Coastal region flat and except for the beach towns is small farming and fishing communities, nice to ride thru since most people usually see how fast they can bypass the areas.
Forty five, fifty minutes to VIR?

Cumbria On the sottish border English side but i can throw a stone into Scotland.
Good riding roads Howick duns carlisle the A1 and not too far from the 74 its in range of the cheviots the lamamuirs and has some picturesque and interesting riding roads.
Not exactly on the doorstep but certainly easily acchievable in a riding easy day are the lakeland passes and north yorkshire these again are interesting roads/ regions and never tire of them.
Not my video but i do get to ride these passes regularly. I did hardnott / Wynrose last Saturday. (IZH Planeta sport 350)

Last edited:
Toowoomba QLD
Large enough to have everything you need in a town and small enough to find the outskirts quickly .
Good riding year round . Ventilated gear and water are handy in summer . Brisbane , NSW , the coast and the bush are all close by .
Traffic is mostly pretty good although the recent rain has put some pot holes in to keep the roads interesting , dirt is close and plentiful ( and less pot holes ) .

DSCF1351.JPG

Oahu is bullshit.

A million people on a 586 square mile island....traffic traffic traffic, and on top of that very few actual twisty roads, and most of those are in "ritzy" areas so you get one pass before the police show up.

yabbut, you have some good foods at the north shore. Call it a destination ride....

Top Bottom Back Refresh