What's new

Recommendations For Someone Looking For New Hobby?

It doesn't meet the requirements:D
And while I’ll never be a licensed pilot or own a plane I am planning on taking the “surveillance course” some day. It’s only a few hundred bucks and would be a cool experience!

How about photography. It goes great with your motorcycling hobby. You don't even need to buy anything if you already have a smart phone although I recommend getting a real camera. You don't need an expensive DSLR. a decent point and shoot can take great pics.
I have some photography experience already. We take studio product photos at work. I could definitely use a lot of improvement when it comes to the artistic aspect though!

Same here. Life is far more about living than working. Most of those with that mindset have never been anywhere or experienced life outside of their little circle.
I can understand that perspective but it’s not necessarily work if it’s truly enjoyed.

Welding of Course.

There is no limit as to the number for projects you can make.
Already do that. I have a Lincoln TIG and a Miller MIG. :D

I’m not telling you anything that you don’t already know but for anyone else who hasn’t tried TIG welding it can be very rewarding. Coordinating both hands and a foot isn’t unlike riding a motorcycle.

Same.
Of course, I enjoy what I do immensely.

I've had plenty of hobbies over the years and, for a few decades, needed many more hours in the day to pack in work, a bike ride, and fishing or work, skiing and a hunt, or etc,etc.

Slowly, I've come to enjoy working most of all.

Many people enjoy traveling as a hobby.

I've traveled around the North America and the EU for pleasure and worked across the US.
While it was a lot of fun spending weeks on end exploring the desert southwest,for example,I now find travel to be more stressful than anything.
I like being in different places but I do not like being a tourist.

That said, I am out of town on a job right now...

edit to add- there's probably a joke about social anxiety in there somewhere
I can relate. I mostly enjoy what I do for work and find it to be fun, challenging and rewarding. Though it certainly has its moments!

I’d love to see the world but, personally, I’m too chicken to actually do it! Maybe that’ll change some day but there’s so much I haven’t seen yet right here at home.

I’m self employed. Service plumber. I’ve got a good customer base. Anymore I do the mostly easy stuff. No more digging or crawling. That’s for the young guys. I make decent money and stay fit doing it. It’s not all work and no play. I’ve got an EXC, Africa Twin and an FJR in the garage and put them all to good use.
That’s awesome. Everyone should be so lucky to have a career that they enjoy. 😁

As the saying goes, if a man loves what he does, he will never work a day in his life.

Lucky man, and one of very few.
Indeed!

I’m not saying that if won the lotto tomorrow that I’d still be working. With the security of F U money I’d have no problem keeping myself busy with things I’d find more rewarding than my career. 👍

I can relate. I mostly enjoy what I do for work and find it to be fun, challenging and rewarding. Though it certainly has its moments!

I’d love to see the world but, personally, I’m too chicken to actually do it! Maybe that’ll change some day but there’s so much I haven’t seen yet right here at home.
All 50 states, 28 countries and counting. To me, nothing compares to seeing as much of the world as I can. It changes one's perspective for the better!
20200427_003224.jpg

Of course other's opinions differ.

All 50 states, 28 countries and counting. To me, nothing compares to seeing as much of the world as I can. It changes one's perspective for the better!

You should consider South America and Australia. Both great places to visit.

Since you like the scooter girls, Columbia has plenty of them

20200427_003224.jpg

That’s awesome! I definitely want to get to all fifty states. I wish I had more courage for world travel…

Anyone ever heard of The Great Loop boat route? My wife and I want to do that some day.

Route-Map.jpg

You should consider South America and Australia. Both great places to visit.

Since you like the scooter girls, Columbia has plenty of them
Brazil, Columbia, Peru and Argentina are on our list, as is Australia. We hope to hit Morocco this year, and South Africa in a couple of years. I want to do Russia and China too, but now is not the time for it.

Seville and Rome have a lot of scooter girls.
1662743735051.png

1662743972892.png

And while I’ll never be a licensed pilot or own a plane I am planning on taking the “surveillance course” some day. It’s only a few hundred bucks and would be a cool experience!

What's a surveillance course?

What's a surveillance course?
I looked into flying lessons a while back. One local school had it laid out on how to become licensed. Step one was the surveillance course where you get some classroom training and then go up in a little plane. It didn’t count as anything if you decided to continue but it is a way to get some exposure before making any real investment. Maybe it’s like a time share seminar where they’re pitching the sale of the full package. Whatever it is I think it’d be a fun experience for the money.

I’ve dabbled a little in RC planes and helicopters (the collective pitch choppers not the gas station ones) which is another hobby suggestion.

Scuba Diving.
Spear Fishing.

Last edited:
There was a thread like this on an old forum I was on years ago and there were a lot of interesting ideas and recommendations.

Ideally the hobby would meet the following requirments:
  • Litle/no cost
  • Require no real skill
  • Consume little to no time
  • Won't take up much space (or better yet any space)
  • Not violate any federal, state or local laws
  • Will produce impressive results that I can wow my friends and family with!
  • Just kidding! There’s no requirements!

Seriously though, there's no requirements. Let's hear your past, present, future and dream hobbies!

Here are my hobbies:
Motorcycles
Guns
Bourbons
Watches (mechanical only)
Photography
Guitars
Cooking

None of these has been affordable in any way, but they all bring me joy.

S.C.

I looked into flying lessons a while back. One local school had it laid out on how to become licensed. Step one was the surveillance course where you get some classroom training and then go up in a little plane. It didn’t count as anything if you decided to continue but it is a way to get some exposure before making any real investment. Maybe it’s like a time share seminar where they’re pitching the sale of the full package. Whatever it is I think it’d be a fun experience for the money.

I’ve dabbled a little in RC planes and helicopters (the collective pitch choppers not the gas station ones) which is another hobby suggestion.

Around here they call it a Discovery Flight. Yea, I was big into RC planes (large scale and 4 strokes) and small 500 electric helos (same thing, the kind you actually had to know how to fly). If you have that in your background you already know basic aerodynamics and what all the controls do. I was able to breeze through a lot of flight school already having this knowledge.

Is dating super models a hobby...? Might be kind of expensive.

Around here they call it a Discovery Flight. Yea, I was big into RC planes (large scale and 4 strokes) and small 500 electric helos (same thing, the kind you actually had to know how to fly). If you have that in your background you already know basic aerodynamics and what all the controls do. I was able to breeze through a lot of flight school already having this knowledge.
It’s possible that I’m mistaken… highly unlikely but still possible. :D

I spent a good amount of time on Phoenix and RealFlight RC sims also using my transmitter which was a lot fun. RF was especially cool because of how much customization it allowed for the models.

Top Bottom Back Refresh