What's new

Recommendations For Someone Looking For New Hobby?

I wish I had more courage for world travel…
do it.gif

Im headed to Europe in a few hours - now dont get all excited. This is a work trip, and I have a saying:

Only the first 50 times to Paris is entertaining, after that it gets old

1662824666386.png

I've been to all US states, sans one,
MAINE - Bar Harbor is on the list for the spring. I'm gonna get me some Lobsta's

do it.gif

Im headed to Europe in a few hours - now dont get all excited. This is a work trip, and I have a saying:

Only the first 50 times to Paris is entertaining, after that it gets old

1662824666386.png

I've been to all US states, sans one,
MAINE - Bar Harbor is on the list for the spring. I'm gonna get me some Lobsta's
Have a great trip!

We took our kids to Maine when they were little and it was awesome there.

I went to England once and the language barrier was too much for me to ever want to go back... :lol2

I've travelled a good piece of the world with work and it was fun, hoping to get back into it in the new year. I too love the travel and have seen most states and provinces but not all. I need to do longer bike trips.

Reading was mentioned in the beginning of this thread and it's not something I ever thought of as a hobby, I just regarded it as a normal part of my life. I read a ton and love it, maybe I should reconsider what I call it in my life?

And of course skiing, it was a major part of my life for over 20 years. Sadly I don't get to do it much any more.

I surf a little bit too but the lustre has worn off. I've only been out once in the last year, all of my energy seems to go to bikes these days.

I had planned to get back to bicycles more but work got in the way and I didn't get out as much as I'd hoped.

Here's to hobbies!

Last edited:
That’s awesome! I definitely want to get to all fifty states. I wish I had more courage for world travel…

Anyone ever heard of The Great Loop boat route? My wife and I want to do that some day.

Route-Map.jpg

Travel has enriched my life beyond measure. My wife and I couldn't have kids, so it made travel more accessible to us. We have seen a lot of the USA, and some of Canada and Mexico. We spent a month driving around the UK, including a week on the Isle of Man for the TT race (my number one favorite vacation ever!). We have been all over Europe from Scandinavia to the Mediterranean, including renting a Ducati Multistrada in Rome for a romp in the hills. Scooters on the Amalfi Coast, swimming in a volcano off the coast of Santorini Greece, etc. This winter we will spend a couple of days in Boston as a jumping off point for Iceland to see the Northern Lights. I'm not rich by any stretch. I just save my money by not buying anything on payments. Every few years...BAM! An awesome vacation!

One of the reasons I have done this throughout my life is that men in my family don't live very old. I'm not waiting for retirement.

Last edited:
Speaking of health, during Covid we took up a different hobby: walking. With travel mostly shut down, no events, and restaurants closed for dining in, there wasn't much to do. I would pull up Google maps for my area, and find a neighborhood with a network of streets. We would go park there, and walk a big loop. When we first started, it was typically 2-3 miles. After a few months, we were doing some neighborhood loops as long as 7 miles! We live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, so there was always elevation change. Most places were fairly rural, so it was like walking paved roads in the forest. It was really interesting seeing all the cabins, old cars, fall colors...you name it. Many of these neighborhoods were off the beaten path where I never had reason to drive, so most of it was new.

With any luck, I'll live a bit longer as a result...

I read my second book ever as of recent. After thirty years of PC gaming daily, I gave up. I'm about two months in. Haven't gamed a single minute. The dopamine hits have weened off and I'm thinking far more clearly now.

Just finished Endurance on Shackleton's Antarctic voyage. That was crazy. Ordered a book on Hugh Glass that should be here shortly.

The r/c stuff has also been a great pass time. So many options there. Gets expensive quick though.

I used to read more, but rarely find time for it now. For a few years, I was been buying used books on CD to listen while driving for work. Recently, a friend turned me on to an app called Libby that allows me to "check out" audiobooks from libraries across my state, using my local library card. It has opened up a whole new world of free listening!

I have been able to read (aka listen to) stuff I never had time for, such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, the entire Dune series (Frank and Brian Herbert), the entire Dark Tower series from Stephen King, etc. Right now I am listening to a Ben Bova book about Jupiter.

A few to be going on with and what i do when the time and sometimes the need arises.
!. If you hunt , why not reload if you dont already.
in Rifle you get egg zackly what your rifle/ barrel needs and taylor made with potential accuracy benefits and perhaps save a few dollars.
Shotgun you get exactly what you want and need, if you want a big slow load of steel you get it, if you want genuinely fast steel ammo you got it , ditto bismuth or ITM etc you get vwhat you want and if you got the stock in hand no need to venture out to bu ammo or search for what you want.
The loading gear can be cheap or home made hand tools of budget brand hand tools load kits etc. or higher end stuff that fits you price point and how deep your pockets are.
2. Turning . lathe work, you can buy used industrial metal lathes or hoby size hobymat axminster style lathes, again to fit your needs and budget. also you can turn wood and buy used models reasonably cheap and easy, turn wood into duck/ goose calls or bowls vases whatever. i enjoy lathes .
3. Welding fabrication, (know its been mentionedbut its usefull and interesting) Weld / fabricate things with arc / mig /tig/ or gas welding even spot weld panels etc. make gates repair old cars make trailers etc. good hobby and enjoy it myself.
4. air rifle and pistol shooting, its cheap if you want it to be can be hunting or targets or may be you want to modify them, like the crosman 2240 etc the sort of ruger 1022 of the air pistol world.
Whatever you want to do could collect them, or hunt in built up areas iflegal in your area, and bench rest for acuracy / consistancey. can be basic spring power or gas ram/ co2 or pre charged or pump up, whats you poison. i just bought a hatsan supercharger in .22 its just about close range rat and squirel, and despite it being a sprin is quite accurate. again budget get a cheap hatsan or top end pre charged with divers bottle etc, its what you want to spend decides what you go for, basicaly something for all budgets and requirements.

I'd like to learn how to weld but have no idea where to start. I'm trying to get back into weight lifting more regularly and have been intrigued with the possibility/practicality/reality of some sort of senior competition to motivate me, but I doubt I'll find a coach anywhere nearby that has experience with senior body building training.

In the meantime, I'd like to start trading equities more actively but haven't settled on a trading stategy and daily routine. Curious about Forex but don't know enough yet.

Some day when I have the time I'd like to learn glass... err... making. You know with a torch and the tube that you introduce positive pressure through. :D

I'm far from artisitc but it seems like it'd be fun to try.
I don't know anything about making glass like that, but I've dabbled with some stained glass projects and it's a lot of fun. There's a certain beauty with glass that you just can't replicate any other way. Getting fully tooled up is about $300-400 for anything you'd ever need or want.

I realize that might sound like your Grandma's hobby, but I simply don't care 😁 I like mixing glass in with other elements.

IMG_20220918_181524936.jpg

I'd like to learn how to weld but have no idea where to start. I'm trying to get back into weight lifting more regularly and have been intrigued with the possibility/practicality/reality of some sort of senior competition to motivate me, but I doubt I'll find a coach anywhere nearby that has experience with senior body building training.

In the meantime, I'd like to start trading equities more actively but haven't settled on a trading stategy and daily routine. Curious about Forex but don't know enough yet.
Adult further education evening classes, But if its expensive or not available in your are there is always youtube. buy a cheapo buzz box arc welder and perhars a mig if you get into it and say want to make stuff out of thiner plate etc. Tig needs argon as does mig but co2 often esier and cheaper works ok. tig is another and something you might want to look at in the fullness of time.
Look at inverters they are small compact and lighter than the typical arc buzz box stick welders.
Oxy/ acetelene is old school according to curent trends but i was raised on it know and like it, but accounts and changing/ filling bottles is a factor you need to take into account and indeed price into the equation.

Adult further education evening classes, But if its expensive or not available in your are there is always youtube. buy a cheapo buzz box arc welder and perhars a mig if you get into it and say want to make stuff out of thiner plate etc. Tig needs argon as does mig but co2 often esier and cheaper works ok. tig is another and something you might want to look at in the fullness of time.
Look at inverters they are small compact and lighter than the typical arc buzz box stick welders.
Oxy/ acetelene is old school according to curent trends but i was raised on it know and like it, but accounts and changing/ filling bottles is a factor you need to take into account and indeed price into the equation.
My dad had an old Forney arc stick welder (thing was the size of a small refrigerator) and an oxy/acetelene setup but my brother has all that stuff now. Too bad I'm not close to the Lincoln training center, though that would be overkill for me. I'll see if a nearby community college has something. I think it would be fun.

My dad had an old Forney arc stick welder (thing was the size of a small refrigerator) and an oxy/acetelene setup but my brother has all that stuff now. Too bad I'm not close to the Lincoln training center, though that would be overkill for me. I'll see if a nearby community college has something. I think it would be fun.
I am a self taught welder grinder. I bought a really nice Miller 211 at 18(14 odd years ago) and just haven't properly utilized it. Welding consumables are pretty easy to come by but my issue is scrounging up scrap metal to make practice exercises for myself. I would hat to buy bar stock just to booger it up. We have a serious scrap collection at my new job but I would have to go dumpster diving for it and I am sure the safety lady would throw a shit fit.

I am good for one or two things per year. Recent projects include a shop towel bar, a flag pole mount and an ammo can stove. There's some really ugly welds in those and I learned it is likely due to a lack of gas. Now I know what values "out of gas" are on the gauges and what unshielded welds look like. Maybe this winter I will burn some more things.

I recommend paddleboarding to anyone. But if you have a boarding back ground, it might be slightly disappointing with the standing on jello feel. I was fortunate to try my 1st attempt in white capping water and got beat to heck. This eventually sped up the learning curve. Only have been a few times. But last time was out 1 and half hrs of paddling in open water. Got about a half mile off shore. Wind picked up and I made a nice arc to get back in. Got back to land with dry shorts. Of course protected waters are a better place to learn. Buy in is cheap and inflatable can be transported on a bike.

Learn to play a musical instrument. I had several years of piano lessons as a kid, but went years without playing. Bought a halfway decent keyboard a few years ago, and peck at it once in a while, but would like to get more serious about it once I'm retired.

I'd also really like to learn to play the guitar...

Learn to play a musical instrument. I had several years of piano lessons as a kid, but went years without playing. Bought a halfway decent keyboard a few years ago, and peck at it once in a while, but would like to get more serious about it once I'm retired.

I'd also really like to learn to play the guitar...
I have been trying this on and off for a lifetime with guitar. It just doesnt come natural for me. But there are some cheats. I need a looper so I only have to get it right once. Then fill in the other parts. Affects amp/pedals help. Delay with a groovy riff can sound ncredible.

'Touching the Void' is a great story about a climbing trip gone bad. Into Thin Air is another good one about Everest. I forget the name of the book by the Russian guy from that same time but it too is a good read. Enjoy!

I also read quite a few books about people's motorcycle adventures and a lot of books about beer in the non fiction category. In fiction I read many murder mysteries and a lot of fantasy.

Funny Matty, you joined just before I did.

Thanks for fleshing out my post. I have not read a later ITA account to see the epilogues. The Climb was the one I couldn't remember. I don't think I've read the K2 one either. I know I've read one or two more but damned if I can remember them. Some were stories I read in climbing magazines too.

Top Bottom Back Refresh