What's new

Recommendations For Someone Looking For New Hobby?

The wifes hobby is magnet fishing. The big finds so far is a hardened and triangle braced ax head that has very nice value and a large marble size meterorite.

And lately I've been getting into audio books for my drives back and forth to home.
I can't quite bring myself to do Audiobooks but I commute via podcasts. Favorites include:
Jocko Podcast
Bellied Up
The Way I heard it with Mike Rowe
Highside/Lowside

I can't quite bring myself to do Audiobooks but I commute via podcasts. Favorites include:
Jocko Podcast
Bellied Up
The Way I heard it with Mike Rowe
Highside/Lowside
Funny that I cannot bring myself to listen to podcasts. I haven't found one yet that manages to be both interesting and with tolerable spoken language.
Audiobooks on the other hand I've listened to a lot. The Stainless Steel Rat series were awesome.

Have you considered buying an old claim and mining/sluicing for gold?

What about ghost or spectre hunting?

How about climbing the big 7?

Have you considered buying an old claim and mining/sluicing for gold?

What about ghost or spectre hunting?

How about climbing the big 7?
How about collecting bmx bikes?

I have built the ghost hunter circuit. It is dead ha simple. Just an ion detector. Kinda a creepy circuit in action.

Pullstart minibikes is a hobby I enjoy. Wonderful pushrod motors with gear driven cams. Mods are easy. Parts are available. And the sky is the limit. So anywhere from a couple hundred on up. I have minis that stomp my real bikes in certain situations.

What's the Stainless Steel Rat about?
It is a science fiction about a master criminal (the stainless steel rat) who becomes a part of elite interstellar police force. The series is quite old now. It was perhaps most remarkable for being a sci-fi series with humor, which was not common back then.

great thread. :clap

My hobbies include:

motorcycles, street an dirt
rock crawling (big tire, not rc)
woodworking
racing/building my race truck
uspsa comp shooting (newest)

my wife says I have too many expensive hobbies. typing that out, I have to agree with her. :fpalm

IMG_0436.jpg

20220619_180709.jpg

Screenshot_20210814-093012_Snapchat.jpg

20200507_185406.jpg

20220522_184455.jpg

I enjoy bridge hunting. It is something I can do with the bike, the vehicle and even the kayak (which are all hobbies). It's fun to study old maps and stories to mentally paint a picture of why the bridge was important at some point in history.

1670429900391.png

In the same light as bridge hunting, I also hunt for derelict rail road depots. Another hobby that is a blast to do with the bike!
1670430379865.png

Dabbling more in to wood carving lately. $100 worth of tools and a pack of sandpaper is pretty cheap entry. $50 Harbor Freight rotary flex shaft tool , a $20 burr bit and a few carving knives.

This oak makes learning hard, but it came from the firewood pile. Scrap wood is everywhere, so free material helps the hobby be even cheaper!
IMG_20221208_202308899.jpg

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned. But I just ordered a 3D printer. I drew up a couple very simple parts in Onshape. I can’t wait for this to show up, and it’s pretty neat doing some cad drawings for the first time in 20 years. I’m really excited for this to get started—we’ll see if it loses its luster immediately on first attempt.

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned. But I just ordered a 3D printer. I drew up a couple very simple parts in Onshape. I can’t wait for this to show up, and it’s pretty neat doing some cad drawings for the first time in 20 years. I’m really excited for this to get started—we’ll see if it loses its luster immediately on first attempt.
Great sugestion! Any feedback?

3D printers would be cool. Even the 3D pen seems to have uses. About 20yrs ago I fixed a commercial ice maker unobtainable part with melted plastic forks. The other interesting plastic craft is melting scrap into slabs. Then machining the part from the slab.

Great sugestion! Any feedback?
I got the Bambu Labs P1P. I’m super impressed with how great the prints come out. The network stuff with it has been fairly buggy, but the printing has been totally painless. I’ve printed a few random things—a base mount for an element fire extinguisher, some fancy decor items for the wife, a crazy moon globe thing, etc. And I started playing with TPU. This stuff is absolutely freaking insane. Very flexible rubbery stuff, but tougher than rubber. It’s neater than shit.
CB584944-DACB-4D26-BBF7-E14803C1B363.jpeg
719A3C05-1F14-4656-B23A-7B5C1D98034A.jpeg

Moon lamp thing
0304623A-78CE-4ED1-A786-CB6FCCA5EFA3.jpeg

Fancy decor…

487C0C69-DAB5-48CD-98C5-A8D3493F7650.jpeg

I got the Bambu Labs P1P. I’m super impressed with how great the prints come out. The network stuff with it has been fairly buggy, but the printing has been totally painless. I’ve printed a few random things—a base mount for an element fire extinguisher, some fancy decor items for the wife, a crazy moon globe thing, etc. And I started playing with TPU. This stuff is absolutely freaking insane. Very flexible rubbery stuff, but tougher than rubber. It’s neater than shit.
CB584944-DACB-4D26-BBF7-E14803C1B363.jpeg
719A3C05-1F14-4656-B23A-7B5C1D98034A.jpeg

Moon lamp thing
0304623A-78CE-4ED1-A786-CB6FCCA5EFA3.jpeg

Fancy decor…

487C0C69-DAB5-48CD-98C5-A8D3493F7650.jpeg
“Fancy decor”. :imaposer

Top Bottom Back Refresh