What's new

Recommendations For Someone Looking For New Hobby?

DJ_MI

Voted Class Clown 1937
Member Number
There was a thread like this on an old forum I was on years ago and there were a lot of interesting ideas and recommendations.

Ideally the hobby would meet the following requirments:
  • Litle/no cost
  • Require no real skill
  • Consume little to no time
  • Won't take up much space (or better yet any space)
  • Not violate any federal, state or local laws
  • Will produce impressive results that I can wow my friends and family with!
  • Just kidding! There’s no requirements!

Seriously though, there's no requirements. Let's hear your past, present, future and dream hobbies!

Last edited:
And the first person to reply with "Motorcycles!" is getting reported! :D

I can't think of anything that I'd be interested in.

I was inspired to start this thread based on these posts:

Some day when I have the time I'd like to learn glass... err... making. You know with a torch and the tube that you introduce positive pressure through. :D

I'm far from artisitc but it seems like it'd be fun to try.

When you guys figure it out. Let me know. I’m 68. Still working. Working is my hobby. I could retire. Then WTF do I do. I’ve got no plan B.
What do you do?

My dad is far past retirement age and still works because he enjoys it more than golf.

Fuck do I not understand the "I'm just going to keep working mindset." I'm 32 and would retire tomorrow if I had the coin. Exercise, books, kayaks, fishing, golf, street riding, dirt riding, raising my kid, hunting, various bar sports leagues, hookers, blow, and trail maintenance are all things I'd rather be doing. I've worked at like 10 places in 15 or so years and nothing from hard labor to good paying desk bullshit are better uses of my time then any of that.

What do you do?

My dad is far past retirement age and still works because he enjoys it more than golf.
I’m self employed. Service plumber. I’ve got a good customer base. Anymore I do the mostly easy stuff. No more digging or crawling. That’s for the young guys. I make decent money and stay fit doing it. It’s not all work and no play. I’ve got an EXC, Africa Twin and an FJR in the garage and put them all to good use.

Fuck do I not understand the "I'm just going to keep working mindset." I'm 32 and would retire tomorrow if I had the coin. Exercise, books, kayaks, fishing, golf, street riding, dirt riding, raising my kid, hunting, various bar sports leagues, hookers, blow, and trail maintenance are all things I'd rather be doing. I've worked at like 10 places in 15 or so years and nothing from hard labor to good paying desk bullshit are better uses of my time then any of that.
Same here. Life is far more about living than working. Most of those with that mindset have never been anywhere or experienced life outside of their little circle.

How about photography. It goes great with your motorcycling hobby. You don't even need to buy anything if you already have a smart phone although I recommend getting a real camera. You don't need an expensive DSLR. a decent point and shoot can take great pics.

When you guys figure it out. Let me know. I’m 68. Still working. Working is my hobby. I could retire. Then WTF do I do. I’ve got no plan B.
Same.
Of course, I enjoy what I do immensely.

I've had plenty of hobbies over the years and, for a few decades, needed many more hours in the day to pack in work, a bike ride, and fishing or work, skiing and a hunt, or etc,etc.

Slowly, I've come to enjoy working most of all.

Many people enjoy traveling as a hobby.

I've traveled around the North America and the EU for pleasure and worked across the US.
While it was a lot of fun spending weeks on end exploring the desert southwest,for example,I now find travel to be more stressful than anything.
I like being in different places but I do not like being a tourist.

That said, I am out of town on a job right now...

edit to add- there's probably a joke about social anxiety in there somewhere

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom