What's new

Replacement battery

I saw a KTM video somewhere and the guy advocated holding the starter button for 5 seconds (with the switch on), then wait 30 seconds and try to start. If it doesn't start, repeat with the 5/30 again. If it starts the first time, I suppose you just get on and ride off...

He also was working on a motocross bike and the lithium battery was about the size of a fist. He mentioned having problems starting below 68 degrees. I haven't found that to be the case with the larger batteries.

Last edited:
I think batteries have gotten worse in quality over the years, specially the OEM ones in both bikes and cars.
Certain aftermarket ones haven't been much better either it seems... :dunno
I figure there are just more electronic items that have small amounts of parasitic current draws that add up to a more noticeable one. My mom has had 2 Mazda vehicles since 2009 and they both seem to eat batteries. Meanwhile, I ran the factory (Panasonic) battery in my FJ for 11 years. It was still working but I could tell the starter was cranking a bit slower so just went ahead and replace it prior to that winter. Sure wish I could have bought another one just like it.

just put new Motobatt in my 2014 1200GS last week.

Failed to start at cafe an hour from home so better to have peace of mind especially since I dont know when original owner last changed the battery.

My 2020 1250 with 92k miles is on its third battery. First replacement was a Motobatt and recently replaced that with an American made Duracell. Only a little over a year on each of the previous batteries but with about 45k miles on each, don't consider that to be too bad,

Anti-gravity - saved my bacon twice; Was out in the woods, left the ignition on and
the battery went into sleep mode; Hit the battery "RESET" button and Vroom.

As a solo rider in remote areas this is the only battery I will use.

Top Bottom Back Refresh