• Volunteer

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Traveling

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • All the above

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
Your missing
“Cranky old bastard who refuses to leave even though everyone hates him and he’d make more in his pension”
Retirement is a long way off for me but this is what I expect.

Whats the plan?
I retired July 1 2020 at 58 and I'm loving it so far. We have a log cabin on 15 acres and I have enough home projects to keep me busy for a solid two years. I have also taken up the hobby of picking up older motor bikes and fixing and selling them.

Travel, you left travel out of your poll. We are planning a trip to Europe this fall and want to do some motor bike exploring in New England this summer. I highly recommend retirement.:super

And get off my lawn!

I retired July 1 2020 at 58 and I'm loving it so far. We have a log cabin on 15 acres and I have enough home projects to keep me busy for a solid two years. I have also taken up the hobby of picking up older motor bikes and fixing and selling them.

Travel, you left travel out of your poll. We are planning a trip to Europe this fall and want to do some motor bike exploring in New England this summer. I highly recommend retirement.:super

And get off my lawn!
Good call.

Enjoy your projects.

I doubt I will ever officially retire. After loosing multiple friends over the last 7 years, in minor illnesses or accidents, I have scaled back working to part time and focusing on traveling more. Many people never make it to retirement or when they do, they are not motivated to go enjoy it. I know quite a few on this board who have made it to retirement and are having a lot of fun, I see that as an exception and not the rule.

I doubt I will ever officially retire. After loosing multiple friends over the last 7 years, in minor illnesses or accidents, I have scaled back working to part time and focusing on traveling more. Many people never make it to retirement or when they do, they are not motivated to go enjoy it. I know quite a few on this board who have made it to retirement and are having a lot of fun, I see that as an exception and not the rule.
It does take effort to enjoy not working!

I have another 12 years to go before I can retire so while I am looking forward to it, I'm still far from it. Actually, if I was offered to stay home and still get paid, it would be a no brainer for me at this point. Do I like my job? Yes I do. But come on, there's life after work.

That was the key for me. I averaged 60-70 hours a week working maintenance in a production plant and reducing my hours was not an option. I saw too many co-workers die before their time and in the end it became a choice between dollars in one hand and years left in the other.

I don't have a crystal ball but I opted for years over dollars.

Retirement is always about the $. Save your pennies and put em to work for you.

You need an " all the above" checkbox

Retirement, waking up with nothing to do and going to bed with only half of it done.

Whats the plan?

Since the divorce in 2017 when I was 55, I'm pretty much stuck working until I'm dead. My options after more than 30 years of marriage were either pay a massive monthly support bill to the ex, which would have left me living at the poverty level, or give her one big payout, and walk away, starting over. I chose the latter, knowing I've always had the will to work, and I could get a lot done in the 15 or so years I have left in me until I'm forced into the pasture.

We'll see how this all plays out. I'm building my retirement account again. I've got some good equity in a home I bought three years ago. With any luck, the girlfriend and I can retire (on paper) in ten years. Actually, she could retire now. She is financially there. But she likes her job (database architect), so why stop working? So it's up to me, to build a bigger retirement account, in the event that I actually can and do decide to retire.

S.C.

I was going to retire...and then I bought a plane. Have you looked at the price of avgas lately?:(

A freind was bitching about the price of gas the other day by using his local airport as an example. He mentioned how many jets and planes were just sitting at the airport these days. I told him I felt real bad for all those jet and airplane owners. :lol3

I love my job, but I'd love not doing it even more. I can retire really early, so I will likely retire and start a second career so I can have two checks a month for a while. It's the benefit of a government job. The pay isn't great, but I can retire early enough to have a round two.

I'll be 60 in a couple weeks. After a long career in aviation working 60+ hours weeks I have really enjoyed being retired for the last year. Was completely burned out when I retired. The new owner of the company I worked so hard to help build took all the joy out of going to work.

Knowing what I know now, I should have pulled the plug a couple years sooner.

There are days I do absolutely nothing, and days I probably do more than I need to. I have bought a few new tools and I am slowly learning how to do some bike maintenance tasks I used to pay people to do in the past due to time constraints. Have also been traveling more both by car and bike.

Retirement is the best job I have ever had.

Back
Top Bottom