What's new

Ride to Eat?

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
There are a lot of riding groups around me. When they set up rides it is commonly a "ride to Eat". They pick an interesting place to eat and then route the ride to get to that place for breakfast, lunch or whatever. I like to eat but when I set up a ride I pick some interesting roads and then figure out where to eat. The best way to put it is that I ride to ride. I don't ride to eat. If I can fit a good place to eat into my ride that's great but the ride comes first.

That's my view. How about you?

Same here. I'll ride until I have to stop for gas, then I'll choose from the available options if I need food or drink. My riding time is too little, and not too often since I'm on call all the time. I can eat at home or at work.

Same here. I'll ride until I have to stop for gas, then I'll choose from the available options if I need food or drink. My riding time is too little, and not too often since I'm on call all the time. I can eat at home or at work.
I don't mind stopping for a leisurely lunch when I am riding with a group. I just don't set up a ride just to go eat. I set up a ride to ride. I recently went for a brunch ride with a local group and it wasn't a bad ride but often a ride ends up on some boring roads just to get to a particular restaurant. I recently led a DS ride and we did go a bit out of our way for lunch but that was because there weren't any closer places to eat.

Given a choice between great roads and an OK lunch or OK roads and a great lunch I'll take the great roads.

Of course the best option is great roads and great food but sometimes you have to choose between the two.

On my day rides I eat out of the gas place "hot box". If I'm spending the night in a motel on the ride I'll go eat a decent set down dinner.

The RTEs that I have gone to or know about are all the same format in the US. The organizer picks the spot to eat, date, (warns the restaurant if necessary), and suggests the optimal time to be there. Anyone that shows up rides what ever route they wish to get there. It's not an organized ride aside from the meeting place. Riders may show up two hours early to BS in the parking lot, and about 15 minutes after everyone has eaten, the place is empty.

The RTE is just an excuse to go for a ride and meet with other like minded individuals. I.E. Pick a spot, and they will come. Some friends may choose to ride together, but that's no different from any other ride.

I find the great roads to get to a RTE myself. I may not take the shortest route. 😉

edit - Ah, I see now. You're talking about "riding groups". I stay away from riding groups. That's mostly a hot mess, imho. RTEs don't require group rides. I have ridden with really good groups that were fun to hang out and ride with. Usually older, experienced riders w/o the testosterone issues of younger male riders. In these rides, it was never referred to as a RTE. Because it's NOT an RTE. It's a group ride that includes a lunch stop. The whole point of a 'Ride To Eat" is the picking of a spot to meet up, not the focal point of the ride.

Last edited:
The days that I want to cruise back roads I'll throw food and water in my bag and take off. I'll stop to eat if I notice a nice little grove or something. Churches usually have nice little pavilions and nobody around. Anyone that is hanging around a church is always pleasant to talk to. But generally not interacting with people and clearing my mind is a big part of the enjoyment for me. I don't really care to eat much when I'm away from home.

When I am looking to buy food I'll stop and get gas and ask the locals where to find the good food. If the person behind the counter is below 30 years old it's usually a waste of time as they start listing off all the available fast food brands they can remember, but the older folks can point you in the right direction for actual food.

If I'm out with friends, I don't really care what happens or where we end up as I'm there just to enjoy their company. I always ride too fast, so I'll slide in the back of the group and just follow.

The RTEs that I have gone to or know about are all the same format in the US. The organizer picks the spot to eat, date, (warns the restaurant if necessary), and suggests the optimal time to be there. Anyone that shows up rides what ever route they wish to get there. It's not an organized ride aside from the meeting place. Riders may show up two hours early to BS in the parking lot, and about 15 minutes after everyone has eaten, the place is empty.

The RTE is just an excuse to go for a ride and meet with other like minded individuals. I.E. Pick a spot, and they will come. Some friends may choose to ride together, but that's no different from any other ride.

I find the great roads to get to a RTE myself. I may not take the shortest route. 😉

edit - Ah, I see now. You're talking about "riding groups". I stay away from riding groups. That's mostly a hot mess, imho. RTEs don't require group rides. I have ridden with really good groups that were fun to hang out and ride with. Usually older, experienced riders w/o the testosterone issues of younger male riders. In these rides, it was never referred to as a RTE. Because it's NOT an RTE. It's a group ride that includes a lunch stop. The whole point of a 'Ride To Eat" is the picking of a spot to meet up, not the focal point of the ride.
I don't remember going to a RTE like you described although maybe I have. Pretty much all of the RTE's have a spot to meet. Then the group rides to the eat spot and eats. There is normally a ride back after eating but often some people break off and ride home by themselves. It is also common for some people to skip the ride and meet at the restaurant but typically most people don't do that.

I'm not saying that there aren't lunch rides like you describe, it's just that I don't see them very often. Most of the people I ride with like to ride with others. If they didn't I probably wouldn't know them because they would never come ride with me.

To clarify what I am talking about because I think we have a difference of terminology.

Many of the rides I see posted on FB or forums will have a title of: XXXXXX restaurant lunch ride or something like that. When I post a ride I will say some thing like: Dual sport ride" or "Street ride". then I'll post where and when to meet and describe the ride. After all that I'll mention where we are likely to eat but won't post a time because we'll get there when we get there. It's about the ride, not lunch.

On the other hand when I see what I consider a RTE it will have the time and place to meet, the restaurant and say little or nothing about the ride. In some cases these groups ride together often maybe they don't really need to talk about the route. My rides vary greatly so I do include things like what types of bikes are suitable for the ride. I don't want a beginner on a 550 pound adventure bike to show up to ride that would be over his head.

As for riding groups, my experience has been very different than yours. I have had around 99% positive experience riding with groups but I do stay away from certain types of groups.

The days that I want to cruise back roads I'll throw food and water in my bag and take off. I'll stop to eat if I notice a nice little grove or something. Churches usually have nice little pavilions and nobody around. Anyone that is hanging around a church is always pleasant to talk to. But generally not interacting with people and clearing my mind is a big part of the enjoyment for me. I don't really care to eat much when I'm away from home.

When I am looking to buy food I'll stop and get gas and ask the locals where to find the good food. If the person behind the counter is below 30 years old it's usually a waste of time as they start listing off all the available fast food brands they can remember, but the older folks can point you in the right direction for actual food.

If I'm out with friends, I don't really care what happens or where we end up as I'm there just to enjoy their company. I always ride too fast, so I'll slide in the back of the group and just follow.
I don't remember going to a RTE like you described although maybe I have. Pretty much all of the RTE's have a spot to meet. Then the group rides to the eat spot and eats. There is normally a ride back after eating but often some people break off and ride home by themselves. It is also common for some people to skip the ride and meet at the restaurant but typically most people don't do that.

I'm not saying that there aren't lunch rides like you describe, it's just that I don't see them very often. Most of the people I ride with like to ride with others. If they didn't I probably wouldn't know them because they would never come ride with me.

To clarify what I am talking about because I think we have a difference of terminology.

Many of the rides I see posted on FB or forums will have a title of: XXXXXX restaurant lunch ride or something like that. When I post a ride I will say some thing like: Dual sport ride" or "Street ride". then I'll post where and when to meet and describe the ride. After all that I'll mention where we are likely to eat but won't post a time because we'll get there when we get there. It's about the ride, not lunch.

On the other hand when I see what I consider a RTE it will have the time and place to meet, the restaurant and say little or nothing about the ride. In some cases these groups ride together often maybe they don't really need to talk about the route. My rides vary greatly so I do include things like what types of bikes are suitable for the ride. I don't want a beginner on a 550 pound adventure bike to show up to ride that would be over his head.

As for riding groups, my experience has been very different than yours. I have had around 99% positive experience riding with groups but I do stay away from certain types of groups.
Like you, my eating on rides is very different if I'm by myself as opposed to with friends. Sometimes I'll bring food along and find a place to eat and sometimes I'll just get something quick at a gas station of fast food place. With friends I'm much more likely to stop at a sit down restaurant.

We come from different backgrounds of riding. The concept of group rides projects a local group of riders getting together for a ride. My 'local' was the entire North American continent, so riders for a RTE in CA might come from MA, FL, OR and CA, along with any possible other states and Canada. When you routinely cover 1k or more a day, getting together for a group ride isn't really a thing. When my Beautiful Wife and I would get together with the local moto group in St George, UT it was always a running joke that "here's the route, we have a couple of choices for lunch that we'll talk about later, and Cletha and Eric will probably detour through Seattle and meet us there." 😁 Different focus, still fun with the right people.

We are defining things differently. What you're talking about are group rides. RTEs are group rides in some circles, completely not in others. Personally, and yes, it's just me, the term RTE is corrupted when used to indicate a group ride. As you correctly indicated, it's not Riding To Eat, it's a group ride that happens to have a planned lunch stop. No point in calling it a RTE. And you would be bored by the riders that just wanted to ride strait to the Eat location via the most direct route.

The UK guys use RTE in reference to an event where the focus is on discussion and sharing info about riding while at the selected lunch location, but riders still follow their own paths singularly or in small groups.

Now, I do know some guys that Ride To Pie and are serious about the pie! They may or may not ride in a group, varying on the pie location, but it's all about the pie.

Our prime difference in perspective is that you ride local with others, while I never ride local with others. Nor do I want to. I have in the past, but with mixed results. Unless it's the same small group of riders that know each other and how they ride, I'm not really interested. The other issue I have with group rides is the number of people that won't think for themselves and expect someone else to plan the route and lead them along. Not the kind of riders I'm used to being around. This is why we don't share opinions when you propose a ride.

I think the idea of picking a spot to eat and having riders come from all over to meet and eat is great. I just haven't done that or even seen it very often. We do have a big end of year meat and eat that meets near Mobile, AL. every year and a lot of people I know go to it. For me it would be a mostly boring ride so I have yet to do it. I didn't realize that RTE's of that type were common. Why I started my thread was to discuss a difference of philosophy about going riding. The difference being the focus of the ride. My focus is more the ride and not the food.

We used to have a guy setting up Ride for Pie rides. They were group rides but the lunch stop always had pie. He hasn't set up a ride in years. The local group I ride with will often find a way to end the ride at a Mexican Ice cream place in Fayetteville, TN. Luckily it is in a good location for us to do that after some of our rides.

I might ride my bike to go eat. But I do not ride to eat. I just ride because I get use to it. I have not drove my truck since Nov...kinda scary because it is a 2020 just sitting. So I ride everywhere or ride to go no where. Commuting does give the daily ride addiction but also deletes the need to ride. My need to ride is usually just local woods where I work on skills. Or I am having fun on unorthodox bikes for the terrain. My dream rides are back burner for the future. Could be tomorrow or ten years from now. I kinda annoyingly like it that way. One day...I might say the heck with it and my bike could become my home. I practiced a lifetime for that option. And keeping that crazy option open will have me riding today.

But I am kinda envious at 300 miles for a cheeseburger. But I know I might wanna hang out and ride further....

I find a spot to eat after a few hours on the saddle. I prefer roast beef sandwiches at Arby's. There is something about them that satisfies my stomach after a long ride. There is a group event sponsored by a nearby dealership of Italian motorcycles who does rides out to Lee's Landing Dock Bar in Port Deposit, MD. The routes to and from are lovely and the destination is even neater. It's absolutely beautiful on clear sunny days.

I guess finding the ultimate southern chili dog would be an endless adventure. Alot of hole in the wall places are in the middle of no where to bigger cities. And you never know till you get there. Some of the best hotdog places were found wandering around in my younger years.

Otherwise I really do not eat much in the day. Food makes me tired. Or excessive amounts of food. Maybe a great dinner ride needs 24 to 36hrs of free time and a night away. I might need to rethink this topic.Maybe great food should be part of an awesome adventure. Where a rider can eat, walk around seeing sites and then rest.

Otherwise I really do not eat much in the day. Food makes me tired. Or excessive amounts of food. Maybe a great dinner ride needs 24 to 36hrs of free time and a night away. I might need to rethink this topic.Maybe great food should be part of an awesome adventure. Where a rider can eat, walk around seeing sites and then rest.
I try to not eat a heavy lunch because it will make me sleepy. I don't normally drink caffeine but I will drink a coke or pepsi with lunch on a ride.

I guess finding the ultimate southern chili dog would be an endless adventure. Alot of hole in the wall places are in the middle of no where to bigger cities. And you never know till you get there. Some of the best hotdog places were found wandering around in my younger years.

I got lost in my thoughts one time and ended up without a clue of where I was. I wasn't hungry but there was a hotdog stand on the corner. Got directions out of there and bought a couple hotdogs as a thanks for their time. Put em in the bag and started headed home. I ate the hotdogs for dinner that night and wished I could remember how to get back. They were good enough to ride 4 hrs from home, but all I know is they were a semi permanently parked trailer somewhere in the ghettos of Richmond 😁

I try to not eat a heavy lunch because it will make me sleepy. I don't normally drink caffeine but I will drink a coke or pepsi with lunch on a ride.
Caffeine is a gift! Coffee is muddy water and sodas are checks chemicals that burn my mouth. Sweet tea is the answer, my man!

Caffeine is a gift! Coffee is muddy water and sodas are checks chemicals that burn my mouth. Sweet tea is the answer, my man!
200.gif

Used to ride from Abilene to Hico, Tx to eat at the Koffe Kup. Mom and pop diner that only takes cash. That was back in my Harley days. Whole group had Harley’s or cruisers. Don’t RTE at all anymore…

Top Bottom Back Refresh