What's new

Riding in Groups

The group rides would work out better if riders were given a trip sheet.
Have suggested routes on it. Name and address of stopping places.
A phone number for a chase vehicle.
Trying to keep up with some ride leaders, at times is impossible.
They will pull out into traffic that doesn't have enough room for all bikes to get in.
Then those left behind only had the name of the next stop. Not even what town it was in.
That ride didn't go well.
I F'ed up. While waiting for some riders who had pronlems starting bikes, I put my side stand down to wait.
It is hidden by the left cylinder.
As we pulled away, I grounded it out on the gentle left turn and high sided.
Everyone rode past, even the ones we had to wait for to get their bike started.
WE got righted, assessed damage, then tried to catch the group.
No Dice. All we had was a name on a list. No town.
Last group ride for me. It was advertised as a Poker Run.
I set up group rides a lot. I'd say easily 30 per year. I don't do any of that stuff. No chase vehicle. Except on rare occasions, no trip sheet. Some times I make up the route on the go. About the only thing I normally have planned is the lunch stop but sometimes not even that. I give a short ride brief at the beginning of the ride and usually a brief description of the route and how we ride. Typically most of the group has ridden with me many time before and knows how things work.

The big thing is we don't try to ride like its a parade. No reason to stay together as a group. We re group at turns.

I did another group ride last Saturday. We had 13 riders. We had no issues. We rode at different speeds but never lost anyone. A couple of the riders had never ridden with me before.

I posted the ride on three different forums. there were two meeting spots. The first was a local motorcycle dealer.

P4020007 (2).JPG

The second was a gas station about a 30 minute ride away.

P4020014.JPG

I didn't worry about enough space for everyone to pull into traffic as a group. We would re group at the next turn anyway.

We had a great ride.

P4020036 (2).JPG

One hazard of a group ride is if you drop your bike, someone may be there to document it for everyone to see in the ride report:D

P4020040 (2).JPG

This was one of those rides where I made up the route on the go. We went down a number of dead end trails and turned around.

P4020064 (2).JPG

While this was a dual sport ride, my street rides work the same way.

"One hazard of a group ride is if you drop your bike, someone may be there to document it for everyone to see in the ride report:D"

Precisely! Pics or it DIDN'T HAPPEN
I remember one ride where I stopped to wait on my buddy behind me. After waiting a while I went back to check on him and found by his bike which he couldn't pick up by himself. I started to help him pick it up and then caught my self and said "wait, there's something I need to do" This was his reaction:

wknudsen_UTT%206-10_CIMG1122.jpg

:lol3:lol3

Don't like riding in groups, but the best way of keeping the group moving is,
Lead rider knows the route, when you get to an intersection the second rider stops to show the direction then joins the group at the rear and so on, this way no one gets lost and less time waiting around

Reactions: MVI
I'm not a fan of group rides but do attend some now and again, here are the rules that work for me
Simple stuff that makes for a relaxed nice ride with likeminded riders
1-4 are mandatory for all riders

At the start,
1 Everyone meets at the same place and fuels up .

2 Discus route and expected mileage before refueling is needed . Pick the next (and all) refueling spot based on rider that will need fuel first

3 Pick a few landmark spots to regroup as the group will undoubtably get separated and or need food and photo-ops Everybody meets before continuing the ride.

4 Make sure that all riders are up for the challenge and have communication available.

A probe and sweep are nice but not always needed, a group leader is though to provide logistics, keep a head count and settle disputes between riders.
"Less is more" Everyone rides their ride , meets their personal responsibilities and stops at all the meeting spots.

No need to ride as a pack as there is no safety in numbers on a bike.

No need to follow an exact route but all meeting stops must be met before the group can move on so don't dawdle

I remember one ride where I stopped to wait on my buddy behind me. After waiting a while I went back to check on him and found by his bike which he couldn't pick up by himself. I started to help him pick it up and then caught my self and said "wait, there's something I need to do" This was his reaction:

wknudsen_UTT%206-10_CIMG1122.jpg

:lol3:lol3
Pretty Sure we've all been there....

I'm both Lucky and spoiled to belong to a dirt bike club with a bunch of good guys that get it. They ride well and take care of there machines. Doing group off road rides with them has been a lot of fun. Have also traveled with them in groups to race, ride dual sports and other events. Will be doing ADV type rides with them as well. Riding with groups or people you don't really now is always a crap shoot. Sometimes it's good sometimes not so much...

Top Bottom Back Refresh