What's new

- Week Riding part of the FHAT, Kansas

Jay547

Member Number
Emporia, Kansas FHAT Ride June 16th and 17th, 2023

FHAT (Flint Hills Adventure Tour) is a multi-day route of mostly dirt roads around the Flint Hills of Kansas. Being an Okie, I had ridden part of the southern leg but never had the time to do more. I had a work seminar to attend on Friday, June 16th. It was in Emporia, Kansas which is just about right in the middle of the FHAT. I checked the forecast which looked favorable and decided to take my bike and ride some of the route. I would be out of class by 3:00 on Friday so I could ride a few hours before dark. I would then stay the night and ride all day Saturday. I picked out some portions of the route and a few side trips to see some historical sites.

I began Friday’s ride by heading northwest toward Council Grove. This is Lake Kahola which is a water supply lake for the City of Emporia.

WUl7Chq.jpg

5HmrYBQ.jpg

eUMLbVx.jpg

Lots of minimum maintenance roads here. Just the way I like it.

qdiS4fS.jpg

Juan Padilla monument, the first American martyr.

rAV8yxR.jpg

iP4z7XV.jpg

9FZADxd.jpg

EbxXM17.jpg

The Custer Elm in Council Grove. General Custer camped here in 1867.

jyQHC5T.jpg

ImwmB8Y.jpg

OPa1l2b.jpg

Southeast of Council Grove is the site of the last Kaw Indian village before their removal to Oklahoma in 1873. These are the ruins of the Kaw Indian Agency. They were having a Pow Wow in the park next to the ruins but I didn’t go in.

RSGZa6T.jpg

I found this cool, old gas station and school gymnasium in Dunlap.

0tSD0lG.jpg

gQA9DpC.jpg

WfWXWhw.jpg

An arch bridge on Kahola Creek.

RkaCGqT.jpg

An old country school.

4TWYAh1.jpg

8chEpWG.jpg

The town jail in Americus.

hQURb11.jpg

Ogkiq0y.jpg

UH0tGmJ.jpg

This was the last stop on my Friday ride.

I9H1fbJ.jpg

Saturday, I started the day with a painfully average breakfast at Huddle House.

xjAlqU5.jpg

The motel let me leave my truck in their truck parking area for the day.

h8skBC7.jpg

This day, I headed east from Emporia.

k8TryMa.jpg

I stopped at the town park to see the war memorial and arch bridge.

dQ66h8E.jpg

Z3qMzjq.jpg

SEFBEMP.jpg

More minimum maintenance roads. An excellent way to start the day.

FSIEnET.jpg

The haunted Rocky Ford Bridge over Cottonwood River, the scene of a murder.

D1BFACe.jpg

YO8QuEs.jpg

Another country school, Mound Ridge.

PEZnmhL.jpg

ZccpNxw.jpg

HZpRpyj.jpg

The Hoosier Creek Community Center, established 1927.

MgmTN7P.jpg

Ey7xPLU.jpg

More minimum maintenance roads.

6svUjME.jpg

And a Kansas surprise as I rode through this “mud” puddle. It turned out to be a manure spill and my bike and gear smelled very bad the rest of the day.

PIvoSko.jpg

apuqC9Q.jpg

Roadside memorial crosses to four area youth who were killed here in a car wreck.

MvFSXMN.jpg

Some wooden crude oil tanks.

r0bADtz.jpg

The bypassed and abandoned bridge over Homer Creek. Built 1905.

4TpPUMp.jpg

HweonqN.jpg

3hjovyM.jpg

Long, lonely roads are in abundance here.

b62lKCr.jpg

Another bypassed and abandoned bridge on Homer Creek, near the town of Neal. I had to ride through a corn field to get to this one. This one was so well barricaded that I couldn’t get on it.

DVOPoCd.jpg

Ace2e7d.jpg

Old Hwy. 54.

AlHa0QF.jpg

There used to be a bridge here on Fall River. The kid was bow-fishing for gar. He said he hadn’t seen any yet.

F305mcC.jpg

FRJ5S02.jpg

I spotted this concrete structure up on the hill and decided to ride up to it. It turned out to be an old water storage facility. I could see for miles up here.

LsvsqZq.jpg

3aW8uwY.jpg

cfW66W4.jpg

SGcYVvF.jpg

Road Closed. It wasn’t, but I had to wander around and back-track a little to find my way through the oil lease roads and out to the next county road.

Uu3M39B.jpg

I had a visitor while stopped on this stone bridge.

kKugZap.jpg

ihj2BAZ.jpg

The 1921 Upper Fall River Lutheran Church.

gEeyvEV.jpg

ewlSXVm.jpg

The grave of James Teter.

wbhG961.jpg

i1o5NM2.jpg

Teter Rock. James Teter constructed a rock monument in the late 1870’s to guide pioneers through the Flint Hills. It could be seen for miles. When oil was discovered in the area during the 1920’s, the rocks were used to construct buildings for the oil-boom town of Teterville. In the 1950’s, Teter’s relatives placed the upended monolith at the location to honor him.

(My favorite pic of the ride)

GqOr9O3.jpg

There’s nothing left of Teterville but some old foundations and cellars.

S2jRMzN.jpg

HsAsTI9.jpg

Browning School, closed and abandoned, then burned when a controlled burn got out of hand.

LxMmVBl.jpg

sg7C5Bx.jpg

qRiToTm.jpg

Z4GNwwm.jpg

a29yoHl.jpg

A bypassed low water crossing south of Madison.

3sQeo9c.jpg

Restored vintage Gulf Station in Madison.

9jyxtGA.jpg

It was getting late, I was hot and tired, and still had a 3 ½ hour drive home. I just wanted to get back to the truck and get on the road. Of course, I had to wait for a slow train.

tNhCnP9.jpg

pjBWraW.jpg

I got home about 9:30. I unloaded my bike and gear but couldn’t find my SPOT Tracker. I got a flashlight and looked under the seats, in the door pockets, console, and glove box, but never found it. I figured it must’ve fallen out when I stopped for gas. That night we had 90 mph winds, heavy rain, and some hail. The next morning after the storm had passed, I went out to look in my truck again. There it was in the dirt/mud next to the driveway. It survived the storm, so I guess they really are waterproof.

uTJTord.jpg

Heck of a nice ride report. Thanks for sharing!

If you ever want company up here in the Flint Hills shoot me a message. I am about 20 minutes north of Council Grove.

Top Bottom Back Refresh