What's new

+ Week Rocket Science and other Riding Tales

Sometimes I'll ride just to get a Tag. The Scooter tag game on ADVr is very active and often changes 2-3 times a day. The local forecast called for rain all day today and the next couple of days but as usual the weather guessers were wrong. It was mostly dry this morning with some very light sprinkles so I decided to go grab the scooter tag before it actually started raining. The Current tag was "paradise" and I only had to ride around 7 miles to go get it.

IMG_20240210_111131616_HDR.jpg

Then I needed to find a new tag. I thought about using a radar speed sign but changed my mind when I saw this:

IMG_20240210_112026121_HDR.jpg

I made the new tag a cluster of real estate signs.

I figured this would make people who lived in more expensive areas jealous:lol3

I looked to see what they were advertising in the first sign for Homes starting in the 250s. I found a couple under 250. 3br,2ba, 2 car garage for $234.900. When I first came to Huntsville 13 years ago they were advertising 3br,2 ba, 1 car Garage for around $95K. That was for new homes.

I looked to see what they were advertising in the first sign for Homes starting in the 250s. I found a couple under 250. 3br,2ba, 2 car garage for $234.900. When I first came to Huntsville 13 years ago they were advertising 3br,2 ba, 1 car Garage for around $95K. That was for new homes.
I've seen the same. Predictions of another housing bubble ring true to me.

I thought about starting a bubble thread in the non moto section which interestly I started a moto thread in.....

I want to ride Klaviator's routes. Some of these scenic routes extend close to where I grew up in the foothills. Which is now a booming market on all fronts.

I don't know about the housing bubble. Housing prices here have dropped slightly from a year ago but the housing market here is still HOT. They are building new houses and apartment building everywhere as well as all kinds of commercial buildings. The problem with this is the traffic had gotten bad. My first few years in Huntsville were great for scooter riding around town because except for rush hour there wasn't much traffic. Now it's fairly heavy most of the time although not nearly as bad as the Atlanta area were we moved from. However, it isn't too far to get into middle Tennessee where there are plenty of back roads with very little traffic.

Right now if I leave my subdivision and head west I'm in farmland in less than a mile. In just a few miles I can be on dirt roads in the Wheeler Wildlife refuge. That farmland will eventually be turned into more subdivisions or commercial property which will suck but Wheeler will never be developed which is good.

It would be nice to live somewhere that I could be on great roads right out of my driveway but at least the cost of living here is low enough that I can afford a nice place to live and still have enough money left over to take trips to areas with really fantastic riding.

I have a number of trips already on my Calender for this year with more to come. Here's what i have so far.

April - Dual sporting the Free State. weekend of Camping and riding in the Bankhead Natl forest.

June - Bradfest III - 3 to 4 days of dual sport riding out of Mountain View Motorcycle campground in Elk Park, NC

July - Beat the Heat Scooter rally. 5 days of twisty road riding out of Maggie Valley NC

August - Pacific Coast Tour. 3 friends and myself will be hauling our scooters to CA for a 9 day ride in CA, OR, and WA.

Sep - Bradfest IV. Same as Bradfest III

OCT - Barber Vintage Motorcycle festival.

I plan on adding quite a bit to the schedule above with at least some short notice trips.

Mid 90's went to Feast in the East in Madison had Saturday dinner at some catfish place in the middle of farm land . Went back to Huntsville for the 2001 Iron Butt Rally and did not recognize the area can not image what it looks like now.

Mid 90's went to Feast in the East in Madison had Saturday dinner at some catfish place in the middle of farm land . Went back to Huntsville for the 2001 Iron Butt Rally and did not recognize the area can not image what it looks like now.
Unfortunately a lot of the country is like that. I lived in Pensacola, FL in the early 90s and went back in 22. I hardly recognized anything and was lost most of the time I was driving around town.

Phoenix metro is in a state of constant and rapid change. I leave for a year, two, or a few and come back to my old haunts. Everything has changed. Old buildings replaced by tech stuff, high rise and pricey condos, and there is a huge complex full of massive hangars filled with supercomputers and servers just north of Sky Harbor. It's located at 40th St and Loop 202. My late cousin was working on the engineering side of the electrical grid to that huge tech complex. It's a metadata storage site. Nowadays dumpy houses are going for around $650k. The better homes are no less than $800k.

I decided to head over to the Wheeler Wildlife refuge visitor center to pick up a National Park Pass which I expect to be using later this year. The visitor center is outside of Decatur and on the other side of the Tennessee River. I took a little detour to the Veterans Park in Priceville to take a few pics.

DSC04711.JPG

The 2 aircraft on display here are both ones that I have flown. I flew a twin engine version of the famous "Huey".

P2140001.JPG

And I learned to fly in the T-34C.

P2140003.JPG

And just because it was there I got a pic of this anti aircraft gun.

DSC04713.JPG

Then I rode to the visitor center and got my pass. It was a pretty good deal as it was FREE and will get me into any National Park as well as as free parking at National Forest sites.

17079443944077055106332632154522.jpg

P2140009.JPG

There were some walking trails around the visitor center so I checked one of them out but I'll have to come back sometime to walk them all.

Another pic of Wheeler at another location across the highway from the visitor center.

P2140011.JPG

That yellow sign at the upper right of the pic has a warning to watch out for alligators!

I stopped at a grocery store and then at Allsport to get a new spark plug cap for my Like 150. NGK stopped making the cap but I was able to order one of another brand.

I stopped for some more pics along the Tennessee River.

DSC04714.JPG

P2140015.JPG

P2140017.JPG

After crossing the River I checked to see if the Seasonal gate to one of the Wheeler trails had been opened. It had!

Then I rode to the visitor center and got my pass. It was a pretty good deal as it was FREE and will get me into any National Park as well as as free parking at National Forest sites.

17079443944077055106332632154522.jpg

P2140009.JPG

There were some walking trails around the visitor center so I checked one of them out but I'll have to come back sometime to walk them all.
Cypress!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that 65 degrees and sunny = go for a ride. I headed over to the Wheeler Wildlife refuge where many closed gates recently reopened allowing me to ride some trails that had closed in mid October.

P2150002.JPG

P2150010.JPG

We've had some rain recently. This is normally dry.

P2150011.JPG

More seasonal swampland.

P2150013.JPG

I have a much easier time motivating myself to go for a ride if I have a plan. Today I didn't even have to have much of a plan as someone else took care of that. There was a brunch ride posted on the Eclectic Riders FB page so all I had to do was make it to the starting point before KSU. In this case it was the Circle K in Harvest at 8:30. I normally ride right past this on my way to Taft or Ardmore so I didn't even have to do any planning to get there.

I was the first one there but others kept rolling in until we had 10 bikes total. I took a pic but you can't see all the bikes.

P2160001.JPG

I was riding my ADV 150. the next smallest displacement bike was a Can Am Ryker 600. Everything else was well over 1000cc. I figured this wouldn't be a problem as these guys mostly stick to back roads.

We took off and it was nice to be following for a change. It made it much easier to take pics although with everything brown from the winter and the overcast skies I knew it wouldn't be a great day to take pics. I took some anyway.

P2160003.JPG

There were 6 bikes ahead of me and 3 behind. The ones behind me weren't following close enough for good over the shoulder shots.

P2160008.JPG

P2160012.JPG

P2160013.JPG

Our brunch stop was in Pulaski at a place I had never even heard of before.

P2160016.JPG

P2160020.JPG

Good food and great company.

P2160019.JPG

One of the guys there was getting ready to retire and planned on doing a long ride this summer. His plan is to ride route 66 to the west coast then up Highway one and then take a ferry to Alaska and ride to Prudhoe Bay on his Harley Ultra Classic.

Back
Top Bottom