What's new

Rocky Mountain camping necessities

Gravelcruiser

Member Number
Been to Colorado a few times running out of a base camp (AKA cabin). This year year we're running a loop camping off the bike, dispersed camping or campground depending on where we land at the end of the day. What are some essential items besides the obvious ( tent, sleeping bag, pad, etc) that you would consider necessary for such a trip? I'm flatlander and bears and such aren't an issue in my local.

Some bear safety is smart. I use a Kevlar bag that I put all of my kitchen items and food in. Then I hang it a good distance from camp. They are black bears out there which tend not to be aggressive toward humans unless they have become dependent on our food scraps in garbage. Cooking/eating dinner along side of the road, before getting to camp is a good idea.

Keep in mind that it can snow at anytime at elevation, having some warm clothing is a good idea. I use a 32 degree sleeping bag and will put my riding jacket and pants on top of the bag for extra warmth on cold nights.

Planning on eating at small restaurants, burger shacks, gas station pizza kinda thing on the route and not cooking at camp other than coffee in the morning. Probably have some cliff bars with us. So yeah, be a good idea to get that away from camp.

Planning on eating at small restaurants, burger shacks, gas station pizza kinda thing on the route and not cooking at camp other than coffee in the morning. Probably have some cliff bars with us. So yeah, be a good idea to get that away from camp.

That is a good plan, even chapstick is scented, keeping that stuff away from camp is a good idea.

I think this is the bear bag that I have. Add a length of paracord to hang it from a tree. I don’t think it has ever been directly attacked but I have woken up in the morning a bunch of times with bear tracks around my tent (not In Colorado, in other parts of North America where there are more bears).

Thoughts on bear spray? I know for sure if I was in grizzly country. I'm on the fence about it for Colorado since it is an extra expense and a bit more weight, although minimal.

Thoughts on bear spray? I know for sure if I was in grizzly country. I'm on the fence about it for Colorado since it is an extra expense and a bit more weight, although minimal.

I never carried it on any of our trips in Colorado but did for Montana, Canadian Rockies and Alaska. It is rather light but a little bit of bulk. I think if I am woken up in the middle of the night with a bear tearing my tent open. With blurry eyes and in the dark, I stand a good chance of success with the spray, vs a gun. Similar to choosing protective riding gear, if you think it will help your piece of mind, go for it.

Bring plenty of potable water. An MSR Dromedary bag, or equivalent, that folds flat when empty is a good addition to your gear. It can be used to wash up a bit as well if you get one big enough...

As far as bear spray goes, it can also be used on the two legged predators ( drunks and tweakers )... Beats popping a cap in their ass and dealing with that bs...YMMV

Bring plenty of potable water. An MSR Dromedary bag, or equivalent, that folds flat when empty is a good addition to your gear. It can be used to wash up a bit as well if you get one big enough...

As far as bear spray goes, it can also be used on the two legged predators ( drunks and tweakers )... Beats popping a cap in their ass and dealing with that bs...YMMV
Good point on the other uses for non lethal. And yeah, I'll probably need more water than I think.

Good point on the other uses for non lethal. And yeah, I'll probably need more water than I think.
Slightly off topic

If you ever cross the Canadian border with bear spray, do not call it mace. Call it bear spray and if they ask more, be very specific about what your intended use is. Nothing about 2 legged predators.

Again, good info, I currently have no plans to cross over any borders but I've read somewhere about using bear spray on humans is a no no. But dealing with that, if need be, would probably less litigious than self defense use of a firearm.

I was more comfortable using moisturizing nasal spray, air is so dry compared to MO.
That brings me to eyedrops like Visine or similar. It saved my bacon a time or two when my eyes dried out from the dry (desert) heat. Adding Nuun or similar tablets to your water will help with taste and electrolytes btw..
Oh and unscented baby wipes are a must IMHO. You can go without a shower for a few days until your friends toss you in a lake because.... :krusty

Baby wipes are a definite necessity. It makes the whole experience more pleasant. They go with me on all my longer rides.

Back
Top Bottom