What's new

ROVs and Drones

JimVonBaden

Kool Aid!
Member Number
Nice, VTOLs are the mainstay of my work!
20210422_084423.jpg

Large and small. Though we do have other fixed wing and Hybrid Lift systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does vertical take off lift concern weather balloons. I have an amazon account and hydrodrogen or heliem isnt impossible. 20ft diameters is on sale for $55. A BB gun can help with landing or a tether. Honestly a 555 timer and a relay to air solenoid dump valve can be autonomous with a 360° degree cam...oh jeez I would just shoot a D engine rocket with a gopro with the neighbor kids. I have a few unboxed drones and have built rockets. Parachute or crash landing is good with recovery. We need a submersible rov thread. I have been on this for years. A denser fluid is nice to work with. Not just my cerebral fuid but aka salt water. Ha. see yall in the other threads because I yam ignorant.

Honestly a rov thread would be nice!

Last edited:
Reactions: CTG
Enjoy flying Drones or other ROVs?

Post up what you got , bonus points for drone carnage

1685096241107.png

No spectacular crashes to share, mine are all low altitude and stupid like just getting too close to bushes that reach out and grab my now-ancient DJI Phantom 1 from 2014. But I have these, first the view of 4th of July 2015 from above my backyard

and baby red-shouldered hawks in the nest in our front yard in 2018 - had to leave in a hurry or get attacked by one of the parents

I have a Spark that is knocking on 5 years old. Still takes a passable picture and flies great despite running into a few trees :lol2 My most spectacular crash was getting caught in 50mph wind as a thunderstorm rolled in that I was trying to video. My only option was "DOWN" as the storm pushed it away from.

org_97bb1b8cf7424300_1684540642000.jpg

I forgot about this one. Since we moved to our current location surrounded by lots of tall trees I haven't flown my 2014 DJI Phantom 1 much at all. As I'm sure most familiar with drones know, the Phantom 1 didn't come with a camera, only a bottom hanger mount for a GoPro that is not rubber mounted and didn't even really fit the GoPro very well. I tried many variations of foam and cardboard to better insulate the camera from vibes but never got it completely free of jello. Combine that with the first flight I'd made in about 2 years and it was a sloppy, jelloey adventure while away for a week in SC.

Back
Top Bottom