What's new

Royal Enfield 650

Alan F.

Member Number
INT650, Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 Twins.

I've been watching videos of these, looking at the aftermarket parts and found a low mileage used model not too far away.

Right now I'm trying to talk myself out of it, I'm not sure if I can though.

I'm very torn, I have too many projects right now and a new bike would live under a cover outdoors. I shouldn't let that stop me, I suppose. I've got to finish up 2 bikes regardless. I hate living in an apartment with no shop space.

I'd suppose a test ride at a dealer would be the next step for me too. I'm 6'0 with a 32" inseam, the bike sounds small but I haven't sat on one.

I'm very torn, I have too many projects right now and a new bike would live under a cover outdoors. I shouldn't let that stop me, I suppose. I've got to finish up 2 bikes regardless. I hate living in an apartment with no shop space.

I'd suppose a test ride at a dealer would be the next step for me too. I'm 6'0 with a 32" inseam, the bike sounds small but I haven't sat on one.
I'm 6-2 with a 34 inch inseam. I sat on one a year or so ago and it didn't seem small to me.

Thanks Klaviator, do you think it might be cramped for 2-up riding?
I don't know. I don't remember how far back on the seat I was sitting and didn't pay any attention to the passenger accommodations. Next time I'm at the local RE dealer I'll pay more attention to that.

I rode a mates soon after he got his about two years ago now.
Its a no frills basic classic naked bike, with a smattering of modernity in the form of FI and ABS.
Bike here in the UK was £5.5K IIRC and i feel at the money its a great buy.
I Might even buy one in the future, i was very impressed with pretty much everything about the bike.
Its Not a powerhouse but its got good torque and acceleration it is smooth for a twin and will get you up in the 80s 90s MPH with no bother, so for just riding about the interceptor really does it all very well and for not a lot of money for a new bike.
Mate bike had Pirelli tyres and handled well enough, you soon got confidence in the bike, its both relaxing comfortable and just so easy to ride. Its like the 1970s all over again but with a new refined for what it is twin that returned a reasonable 54mpg on my 400 mile run down the A1A/17 etc into Norfolk.
I very much enjoyed my time on the interceptor, it was not in anyway cramped "i am 6 foot" and i got off the bike almost sad the trip was over.
I have not heard any negative reports from my mate on this bike, he is still using it regularly its been his commute tool through much of the year, and though not his only bike he still sings its praises.
I like the overall build quality, its got decent welding on the frame, and though a few plasticy bits of tat on the lighting trim etc which sort of don't fit in perfectly with the true classic build theme , i suppose in this modern age its par for the course.
I can honestly see me getting one of these at some point, its all you really need from a bike if your content riding about on a classic style bike.

Right now I'm trying to talk myself out of it, I'm not sure if I can though.
well, you came to wrong the place. Go buy it. I've been following these bikes since they were first announced. I bought a W800 in 2020, as we didn't have a RE dealership in ABQ...but a few months after I bought the W, our local Triumph dealer picked up the RE brand. The W800 is nice, but I think the RE has a better engine. I toy with trading it sometimes. Ive seen the RE bikes up close and they are very nice, but the Kawi is slightly better finished. It also cost 75 percent more...

I've gotten myself past the need to talk myself out of the idea. I've spoken with the seller and have plans. He had one guy coming to see it over the weekend, but I'm offering the asking price, so if he flakes out or lowball its mine.

Thanks!

I've got the pics from the ad:

Attachments

• 00s0s_6KOC6jx0sFDz_0CI0qk_1200x900.jpg
    00s0s_6KOC6jx0sFDz_0CI0qk_1200x900.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 00707_aEnR181tKtJz_0CI0p8_1200x900.jpg
    00707_aEnR181tKtJz_0CI0p8_1200x900.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 00C0C_9NUBbsmLoi2z_0CI0s6_1200x900.jpg
    00C0C_9NUBbsmLoi2z_0CI0s6_1200x900.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 00F0F_fHYW5oZzW4Uz_0CI0t0_1200x900.jpg
    00F0F_fHYW5oZzW4Uz_0CI0t0_1200x900.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 00m0m_keyO3IF3W97z_0z20t2_1200x900.jpg
    00m0m_keyO3IF3W97z_0z20t2_1200x900.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 20
Thanks!

From what I've read mirrors and rear shocks may need improvement, relays may need to be upgraded or at least contacts cleaned. I'd plan on a different seat but I'd like to form my own opinions on all of these things after I put some miles on it. Maybe some bar risers, maybe the rubber tank grip pads, maybe a passenger backrest and a rear rack.

Mate after two years as so far changed nothing, But initially he was commenting on a few things on the bike, i remember he thought the exhaust silencers were a bit off putting, the chrome but painted end section, and the plastic guards and plastic y chrome look indicator bodies. There was talk of him swapping the bits he did not like, But it seems over time, with him using the bike in all weathers as a commute tool quite often, i think the Plastic guards at least have if anything gained his respect even though not perhaps quite to his tastes in a retro bike.
Rear shocks? I only rode the bike that one time, but it was a long ride and on variable roads and i thought the stock gabriel rear shocks were ok in function i am a similar weight to the owner and i left his settings well alone. I sent the bike on in the turns and the Rear shocks were i felt for a factory offering and given the bikes price point were if anything more than adequate and certainly not bad IMHO. But i do get the Suspensio upgrade deal, and i am as sure as i can be that a person could change shocks etc and even improve a lap time perhaps, but my thoughts are at least try it thourhgly first, cam it up a bit see how it functions for you how you ride what you do and of course Your own expectations and requirements. It might well be you simply must have the changes, but it could go the other way. Just saying ,, and of course its your bike your needs and YOMV.

It's been a few years since I've had a bike on the road, in my late 30s I had a 90's Honda 750 Nighthawk that had more power than I could safely use, and I didn't trust it's handling. In my mid 40's I had a Honda CM400C that I upgraded brakes and suspension, it was almost an ok fit and I could use every bit of power it had, I could really push it to its limits and I learned a lot about riding with that one.
I'm 51 now and I've been drooling over newish bikes for a few years. I considered a CB300F, CB500F, CB650F, CB650R and quite a few others but for one reason or another they just didn't appeal to me all that much. I suppose I'll keep the Interceptor stock and enjoy it, but who knows.

It's been a few years since I've had a bike on the road, in my late 30s I had a 90's Honda 750 Nighthawk that had more power than I could safely use, and I didn't trust it's handling. In my mid 40's I had a Honda CM400C that I upgraded brakes and suspension, it was almost an ok fit and I could use every bit of power it had, I could really push it to its limits and I learned a lot about riding with that one.
I'm 51 now and I've been drooling over newish bikes for a few years. I considered a CB300F, CB500F, CB650F, CB650R and quite a few others but for one reason or another they just didn't appeal to me all that much. I suppose I'll keep the Interceptor stock and enjoy it, but who knows.
When are you going to break the news to the VHT crowd?

Probably this coming weekend. I won't have the RE registered & insured in my name for at least a few days.

Looking forward to seeing it, and of course I'll let you break the news.

Well it's finally mine and home with 3878 miles for about 2/3 the price of new (before dealer markup & fees). It's got some maintenance coming up and after my 250 mile ride home I have some other ideas too. The typical complaints about the cheap mirrors, mine are stable & clear at 80mph, and the foot pegs that stab you in the calves or bang on your shins at every stop... nope same place as on every other bike I've ever been on, right in front of my legs comfortably. The seat is fine considering the ~150 mile range, it's too thin and low though so better seat & lower pegs are on the list of improvements along with regreaseing the steering bearings and putting in 12wt fork oil.

Attachments

• 20220522_162321_HDR.jpg
    20220522_162321_HDR.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220522_162134.jpg
    20220522_162134.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220522_162004.jpg
    20220522_162004.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom