What's new

- Week Saddle Sore 1000 on a Scooter!

Steve - YYZ

Scooter-Trash!
Member Number
Success!!!
20 hours, 33 minutes for 1750 km on my Burgman!

One of my Bucket List things to do was to complete an Iron Butt. So August 10th, I set out on my 2014 Burgman 650. I'd been weeks planning and getting a good route planned (see map) that other than a 10 km section, was all Interstate, Turnpike, or Divided Highways. You document your ride by taking photos of gas receipts that show location, date and time held up against your bike's odometer. A pic of the gas station also shows you were there.

I started officially at the Seneca One Stop in Niagara Falls NY (didn't want the border crossing time to subtract from my 24 hours) at 2:49 am. I chose to start this early so that later in the day the sunset would be at my back and I wouldn't ever be facing the sun's glare. Oh, and it was also the night of the full moon which helped the night riding parts. I also finished at the same station.

I finished at 11:22 pm back at the same station. So here's the details.
Total Time = 20 hours, 33 minutes
Total Distance
Bike Odometer = 1809 km (1124 miles)
GPS Distance = 1750 km (1087 miles)
As you can see, the bike's odometer is optimistic and the GPS reflects the true distance ridden. You add a "slush" amount of mileage to give yourself a buffer when you set up your route. In my case, my calculated distance was for 1702 km (1057 miles) but a few wrong turns, backtracking, etc upped the distance by 48 km on the day.
Moving Average = 115 kph
Overall Average = 85 kph
Max Speed = Well a little exuberant at one point.
Weather = Really nice overall but quite cool in the morning and about 20 minutes of rain south of Rochester.

Below is a route map (clockwise), a pic of my instrument/information displays with two GPS, a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring) and the second half of the route notes. Also a track log of my speed trace for the day and a couple of the gas station stops, and one of my Rest Area stops. I packed a cooler with sandwiches, fruit, Gatoraid and ice water because waiting for a meal to be cooked at a restaurant takes too long. Also, didn't want to risk gimp-stomach!

It was a long day for sure (over 21 hours in the saddle) but satisfying none the less. Have a few sore muscles and aches this morning even after 9 hours sleep but happy none-the-less. A great day overall and my Burgman 650 ran smooth and flawlessly. Only thing I curse is it's smaller gas tank which necessitated 14 fuel stops on the day. That eats a lot of time.

Route Map - Went Clockwise.
3 -Google Maps Route.JPG

The GPS tracklog of my speeds for the day (in Kph)
9 - Track Log Speed.JPG

My Start and End location, The Seneca One Stop Gas Bar in Niagara Falls NY.
1 -Seneca One Stop Start.jpg

A food stop at one of the Rest Areas along the interstate.
4 -Rest Stop Lunch.jpg

Congrats on doing the SS1000!

14 fuel stops:eekers That seems excessive. That would be well under 100 miles per tank.

My biggest problem is that I don't really have enough secondary road close to me I don't think. I'd have to get awfully creative with a route to try to stay off the main highway as my SR will only do 80 kmh on the flats which is not too good if the speed limit is 100 kmh.

Not to mention it needs a new fuel injector too.

Congrats on doing the SS1000!

14 fuel stops:eekers That seems excessive. That would be well under 100 miles per tank.
Well that includes the start tank and end tank. I also had 4 "corners" of my route where I had to fill up just to prove I made the "turn" at that location. From my Southwest turn to the Northwest turn was only 98 km (about 60 miles) but I needed the proofs for the corners. I was also running a consistent 120 - 140 kph with side cases and a big windscreen. That hurts the mileage going fast. Actual numbers were 38.45 mpg (USgal) or 16.35 km/L. The tank only holds 15 liters and I generally filled up at about 3/4 tank. Gave me a stretch and pee break as well, about every 90 minutes or so. Also take a brisk 5-10 minute walk at each stop to get the blood moving. Yes that takes more time, but keeps me mentally and physically fresh.

Very good! :clap

I didn't think the Burgmann was a "scooter". Not in the usual sense.

My one successful submission to IBA was for a dusty butt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom