What's new

Saddlebags

woods

Yawp.
Mod
ADV+
Member Number
What is on your bike? I'm running Nelson Riggs stuff and its been fine...but the roll top with the four straps sort of gets old. then the mess of straps attaching to the bike. Then it has the two Velcro straps that are supposed to go over the seat, I have them under the seat. just sort of messy. any time I need to take them off, I have to pull the seat and dismantle all the racks.

there something better? I'd almost prefer a zipper instead of a roll top. all the straps and whatnot are kind of annoying.

my street bike has all Givi style hardcases with a key. takes no more than five seconds to pop on or off. just not sure if I'd want hard cases on the DR.

Green Chile Bag snakes and no name dry bags. One buckle to close the bag, one strap to tighten.

Have several

Wolfman WP series - for all weather long trips

IMG_20200603_092955.jpg

But I prefer these Viking enduro bags for CO and TX Day tripping

PXL_20220303_233624249.jpg

Giant loop coyote, 2nd gen (the one where the zipper is hidden by a flap). Built like a tank and easy to get on/off the bike.
I've repaired some failed stitches and seam sealed pretty much everything, this is not a waterproop bag though, so make sure you pack accordingly.

In my experience, a roll top is the best way to make a soft bag waterproof. I have gone multiple ways with that. One way is just basic canvas saddle bags, then put all the gear into waterproof roll top compression bags. The canvas offers good abrasive protection to the waterproof bag. The other way is with a large Alt Rider Hemisphere roll top bag. I find the Hemisphere bag to be an easy system to work with. A canvas holster is strapped to the bike, it takes 5 min to get it positioned correctly. Once the holster is on the bike, it does not need to be removed, the roll top liner can be removed in 30 seconds. The waterproof liner is well protected from crashes.

714D81F3-6352-48CB-8674-E1A9D9E628D6.jpeg

I posted these in the KLX thread but figured I'd xpost them here too.

Here's my Giant Loop Mojave saddle bags. I anchored them using the bolts for the rear foot pegs.

IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG

I put the bolts that used to hold the small OE pouch back in to add some support for the roll I carried on top.
2022-09-29 23.16.55.jpg

I used three endless cam buckle straps to cinch a dry bag with my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tarp on top of the rear cowl.
2022-10-04 09.35.49.jpg

I've been running these Ortlieb roll top bags for over 15 years, they're still going strong despite the front straps getting caught in the wheel/chain and having new pieces tied on again. I like that they're super light and 100% waterproof. The only thing you have to keep in mind is they will not be durable in a setoff at any speed. I can attest that slow speed and tipovers they're fine. They are now sold by Touratech.

The hard bags on my Beemers are nice but they are not waterproof. The cool thing is these Ortlieb panniers will fit inside the hard bags for a waterproof solution.

I have been lusting after Mosko R80's and to a lesser extent Turkana bags. Maybe one day.
IMG_0070-XL.jpg

I bought one of these from Revzilla back in April

It stayed dry, capacity was good, mounting wasn't too annoying and was quite secure OTOH at the end of the trip one of the over-the-shoulder strap d-rings ripped out its stitching when I heaved the bag up for a walk. If treated fairly gently I imagine it would last but definitely not something to withstand a beating. At some point I'll test-fit it on the new ride for 2023, if it fits reasonably I'll fix the strap a bit and keep using it- size is handy for a 10day jaunt

Last edited:
20220506_160332.jpg

These have lasted 75,000+ miles with no issues...the whole Rackless 80 setup can be detached from the bike in about 2 minutes and thrown over the shoulder to be carried to tent or motel room. Clean-up by hose, pressure washer, or carwash wand.

I've been running these Ortlieb roll top bags for over 15 years, they're still going strong despite the front straps getting caught in the wheel/chain and having new pieces tied on again. I like that they're super light and 100% waterproof. The only thing you have to keep in mind is they will not be durable in a setoff at any speed. I can attest that slow speed and tipovers they're fine. They are now sold by Touratech.

The hard bags on my Beemers are nice but they are not waterproof. The cool thing is these Ortlieb panniers will fit inside the hard bags for a waterproof solution.

I have been lusting after Mosko R80's and to a lesser extent Turkana bags. Maybe one day.
IMG_0070-XL.jpg
I bought the Ortleib bags when Aerostich was the dealer. They would be a nice lightweight set up on a dualsport. I had them on a first gen Multi Strada which has a really wide ass so it took a messing around to fit them but they worked well.

Back
Top Bottom