What's new

Salida Colorado to Mexican Border?? CDR..

Thirsty 1

Member Number
5 years ago I started the CDR (continental divide route) at the Canada border and made it down to Salida Co. on Kevins tracks. This year I'm planning on starting as close to Salida as possible and heading south again to the Mexican Border. My problem is that I'm going to start this on Memorial Day Weekend. I'm pretty sure there'll be snow in Co. so I'm trying to find a starting point to go south?

For those in Co. or New Mexico ---- where do you think the snow will let me in to the tracks? As of now there are several feet in passes IE: Interactive Map (usda.gov) and it's only February so a lot can happen in the next 4 months!

AND!!! I don't know anything about the snow fall southern Co. or NM? Do you get alot of snow? OR none at all?? I know it monsoon rains in July because I got flooded out going across the TAT this last year (had to turn back at Telluride). I'm thinking the end of May/first week of June would be perfect for a ride across NM. No?? Not terribly hot with little rain..Peachy I'd think...

I should have a few fellas, Curtis, Seth, and Darren with me so i should have company!!

What Ye Say?? Start in Salida or further south????
IMG_8352.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Thirsty 1, I'm just down the road from Salida in Westcliffe, Co. We usually get a ton of spring time snow here. Heavy wet stuff that just makes a muddy mess. I think you're on the right track with your plans of late May/ early June time frame. Sorry I'm not much help, but hope you guys enjoy your adventure!

Hey Thirsty 1, I'm just down the road from Salida in Westcliffe, Co. We usually get a ton of spring time snow here. Heavy wet stuff that just makes a muddy mess. I think you're on the right track with your plans of late May/ early June time frame. Sorry I'm not much help, but hope you guys enjoy your adventure!
Hey thanks for the info! I'm thinking the time is about right too! Once in NM we should be good, but I know there's a pass out there too that could cause problems. If the weather gets shitty and you remember this thread...lemme know!!

Thanks, Thirsty

Some of the altitudes can get kind of high in NM too. Keep a close eye on the weather, the mountains stay cool and could get a coating of snow. The soil in NM can be real miserable when wet. If you get caught in bad weather, it might be a good idea to avoid the dirt, or pull off and set up camp, till it drys out.

I'd expect snow anywhere above 10,000' at that time of year. Might not see any, but be prepared for it with alternate routes, etc.
Sounds like, a fun ride!

Having experienced thunder snow near Alpine Tunnel one year in July, I can attest to the finicky mountain weather and keeping an eye on it is a must. The event I experienced started with a fluffy white cloud peaking over a mountain and before anyone knew it, it was an epic downpour with rain, hail, sleet, snow and lightning. We, as I rode with a few others, found shelter underneath a restored water tower….

So it looks like 2-3 sections of the CDR have fire...WTF?? I'm now looking at the UTBDR. Anyone in utah have a snow pack count for the north sections?

We had a heavy start of snow but it tapered out quickly, another dry year. Add in the warm temps we are having and the passes you are looking to do might be open by Memorial day

Back
Top Bottom