What's new

- Week Saline Creek Area Ride (NE Oklahoma)

Jay547

Member Number
From March 5, 2023:

I did an unintentionally short ride today east of Salina. The ride was going really good, I had enough fuel to finish the ride, but I decided to get something to eat. I was within about three miles of the town of Little Kansas and although it wasn't on my route, I headed that way for food and fuel. About half way there, I felt the rear slip. I immediately knew what that meant. I limped it into Kansas and found a nail in the rear tire. Damn it, I just put a new tire and tube on last weekend, it only had 45 miles. I tried to make some tube Slime work, but the hole was just too big. I called Mrs. 547 to come pick me up. We had several good people help out. My riding buddy Donny happened to show up and a couple trailering a side by side and getting gas gave us two tie downs - because some goof forgot to tell Mrs. 547 to bring some. A guy on a Concourse from Missouri and a couple on a Harley helped us load the bike. Lisa and I replaced the tube when we got home. Here's some pics, pre-flat.

I had been by this railroad car/former restaurant that overlooks Lake Hudson a couple hundred times but never stopped.

KyoDq1h.jpg

VJHcrly.jpg

CRo8iZT.jpg

In the hills up above the lake, I found this nice, picturesque tree-lined road.

SaRf6fF.jpg

Lake Hudson.

eayWaGT.jpg

A geologic feature known as Chimney Rock.

nlGJZPB.jpg

LhrzYJa.jpg

End of the road at Saline Creek.

Q4kdADg.jpg

I spotted this eagle’s nest nearby. Probably the largest one I’ve ever seen.

fKCGPmt.jpg

n3sRL5l.jpg

The pumpback. Water is pumped up from Saline Creek to Chimney Rock Reservoir. The water flows by gravity back down the tubes, spinning the turbines, and generating electricity.

kUpn9lo.jpg

b5xI4Tr.jpg

An overgrown, abandoned church.

gf1CjSu.jpg

UWq5z5w.jpg

More rock formations and a low water crossing.

7XU0hsJ.jpg

CR0uoZQ.jpg

WBFlgfn.jpg

lTJPB5M.jpg

Cherokee Nation Bison Herd.

5pMTFC2.jpg

0UFIQHd.jpg

c706cbJ.jpg

Pine forests up ahead.

1HWF2PS.jpg

I visited this old concrete silo about ten years ago. It was open and easily accessible. Now, it’s fenced and overgrown.

CzjCIcn.jpg

58j4aBj.jpg

I rode through this creek. It was much deeper than I expected. I got pretty wet.

11CjqeX.jpg

y9fLaGO.jpg

There was a small, dirt-track oval raceway here. I presume for atv’s, too small for much else. The house behind it had burned down so I figure that’s when the track was abandoned. This was the flagstand.

bSjfWz5.jpg

U7cpkFW.jpg

Then I decided to get some lunch and gas…

CHIzij4.jpg

xpkF9pI.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh