What's new

Saving the World, the VW TDI thread.

hot dog stu

Member Number
Yeah, saving lots of gas with the pussy wagon in the shop.
4725558F-43BD-4DC4-8741-C5266F7EE86D.jpeg

How bad is that expected to hurt?
Blinking "glow plug". Whatever it is, it's going to be expensive.

Fucker went into limp mode last night.

While I could almost go 40 mph (That's like 260 kph for our stupid Canadian fucks and You'reapeenin' friends) on a flat the last hill up to the dealership, I was only able to go 15 mph.

Hope so, unless that lights for other problems, too. I wouldn't think a fouled glow plug would force it into limp mode. I would've run VAG-COM back when I had a VW to see what I could see.

Anyone with a VW product should consider buying VCDS, the successor to the VAG-COM scantool. Incredibly powerful software, with great support.
The light is for many problems.

So, the issue is ice blocking the intercooler. It's happened a couple of times now, but it will usually cause a no start or hard start. I was into about 30 miles into my commute when this occurred, temps were in the low 20's.....so I don't know.

They are going to install a winter kit. Waiting on parts.

I guess it will overheat in the summer and go into limp mode.

Not really any ice or snow that I remember. All the other times it was kinda crappy. I guess the water just gets in there and freezes up into a block and doesn’t thaw out.

That'd do it, especially if the car doesn't get a chance to thaw out once a day.

Yep, but I'd pop for the cheapest, $200 VCDS package: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

I used an older version to do key matching years ago. I ordered a key through a dealership and needed to code it to the Immobilizer. The service manager was a dick and grinned while telling me there was a $100 fee to have the shop match it. He gave me VW's daily key code because he knew it wouldn't do me any good, and I punked him by using my scantool to do the Immobilizer matching in ten seconds, with some of his techs watching. At the time, the Ross-Tech software did more than any single VAG tool, and they cost several thousand dollars.

Absolutely.

I have Forscan, VAG, etc. Its worth the time alone of dropping a vehicle off and dealing with a stealership. First minor repair and its paid for.

Hope so, unless that lights for other problems, too. I wouldn't think a fouled glow plug would force it into limp mode. I would've run VAG-COM back when I had a VW to see what I could see.

Anyone with a VW product should consider buying VCDS, the successor to the VAG-COM scantool. Incredibly powerful software, with great support.
Stoplight switch

Not really any ice or snow that I remember. All the other times it was kinda crappy. I guess the water just gets in there and freezes up into a block and doesn’t thaw out.
Dude, quit driving it like a pussy. TDI's need to be WRUNG THE FUCK OUT, a LOT.

Pretty sure there was a recall on this issue. I think I have a "winter front kit" for a MK6 sitting around. I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.
mkvi_golf_wintercover_3930.jpg

I know VAG com/ And VCDS. but kn ow nothing of this , anyone any experience with it yet? i for one would be interested .

In some my ex TDI I emptied water from intercooler pipes few times per year. I’ve had maybe six different cars with TDI engine an zero problems what comes to winter conditions. Well, it could produce more heat to cabin. Here at Finland we do have cold at some times.. thats -37C on my way to work ❄️
B07A711A-D0EC-4F13-B6E1-3586E0320DD5.jpeg

I once read that ALH-equipped VWs sometimes need to have exhaust soot washed out of the intercooler. Turning the EGR percentage down in the computer would extend the interval.

I once read that ALH-equipped VWs sometimes need to have exhaust soot washed out of the intercooler. Turning the EGR percentage down in the computer would extend the interval.
Not just the ALH motor most VAG motors in fact a great many diesels of many brands get these issues. its a Trade off sadly for cleaning up the emissions, and depending where you are in the world right now depends just what you can do to prevent such issues long term.
If Following the Environmental thinking to the letter, its just clean your egr frequently and strip off the inlet manifold and get out the oilly carbon every year or so, anything else will in theory throw you out of compliance.
If your thinking is to protect the engine yet look to be towing the environment line, then an EGR blanking leaving the EGR in place (even on a clean EGR Just bung up the EGR Vacuum pipe with an air rifle pellet then refit the pipe) with a simple Elephant mod or fancier catch can in place if you must , either way stop the CCV contamination this coupled with the RGR blanking Shutting down, will prevent any future intake and associated pipe work and component contamination.
Such mods dont general throw up any fault codes on the older VWs skodas etc, but this will depend on your country and how the VAG group cars are Equiped, as in EPVs ETC. Its all resolvable with Vag com / VCDS etc, but i have never had any issues on the ALH R4 and 3 cylinger and R3 (1422cc) AGX motors so far.

Back
Top Bottom