What's new

Scottish Six Day Trial Thread

How quick is it to swap out the batteries?
Friend who has an E Pure Race model, says it's about 2 minutes or less. I'm betting they will have a chase van with batteries in hot pursuit all through the trial. There are some long road sections that will suck power like no trials loop trail ever could. Also the long moor sections will drain it pretty fast.

How much does a spare battery cost to keep in a van for ’re-fuels’ ? It’s a pure guess, but I bet you’d need at least 3 or 4 a day.

You are correct Norman. Wide open throttle for 30 kms on the road or a couple of hours sloshing across the moors would eat the power.

How much does a spare battery cost to keep in a van for ’re-fuels’ ? It’s a pure guess, but I bet you’d need at least 3 or 4 a day.

You are correct Norman. Wide open throttle for 30 kms on the road or a couple of hours sloshing across the moors would eat the power.
Considering the two EM's are ridden by the Factory Team rider and the UK EM Importer. They are riding together on 165 and 166. I'm guessing the support is going to be expensive, but spare no cost by the EM Factory.

The big question will be..... what happens when multiple private riders of varying skill levels enter on EM's? The logistics of providing batteries all around the course will be difficult. At $4000 a pop for spare batteries, no private rider could do it themselves. I guess EM could rent batteries to riders? Even if you grouped all the EM riders together in the entry, you couldn't count on them staying close together in a 7.5 hour/100 mile plus day, for an EM Factory chase van. Sandy Mack's British Army refueling group, would have to be responsible for carrying spare batteries for the EM bikes.

Wow! Lots of questions!

I looked at buying an EM. I wanted a spare battery and a generator. The spare battery was $3900. I was going to be $16-17k, all in. I really can’t wait for the day this is viable but it is too rich for me still.

JITSIE X SSDT KEY PARTNERSHIP​

Jitsie is extremely proud to announce that it has reached an agreement with the Edinburgh and District Motor Club to become a key partner of the World famous Scottish Six Days Trial (SSDT). The initial three-year agreement will start with this year’s event, which will again be held in Fort William, from 2nd to 7th May and will also cover the 2023 and 2024 editions.

The multi-year agreement will deliver an extensive range of services and support that will bring benefits to the overall event including the organisers, officials, volunteers, competitors, trials fans and the wider audience. The main areas of collaboration are as follows:

Jitsie clothing and equipment for officials
Jitsie competitor SSDT souvenirs including a limited edition event t-shirt
Jitsie exclusive SSDT official merchandise available from jitsie.com and in the SSDT paddock
Jitsie exclusive SSDT live video coverage throughout entire event presented by Woody Hole
Jitsie hospitality area in the SSDT paddock
Jitsie post event SSDT documentary
Jitsie SSDT communications online and on social media

JITSIE X SSDT KEY PARTNERSHIP​

Jitsie is extremely proud to announce that it has reached an agreement with the Edinburgh and District Motor Club to become a key partner of the World famous Scottish Six Days Trial (SSDT). The initial three-year agreement will start with this year’s event, which will again be held in Fort William, from 2nd to 7th May and will also cover the 2023 and 2024 editions.

The multi-year agreement will deliver an extensive range of services and support that will bring benefits to the overall event including the organisers, officials, volunteers, competitors, trials fans and the wider audience. The main areas of collaboration are as follows:

Jitsie clothing and equipment for officials
Jitsie competitor SSDT souvenirs including a limited edition event t-shirt
Jitsie exclusive SSDT official merchandise available from jitsie.com and in the SSDT paddock
Jitsie exclusive SSDT live video coverage throughout entire event presented by Woody Hole
Jitsie hospitality area in the SSDT paddock
Jitsie post event SSDT documentary
Jitsie SSDT communications online and on social media
That sounds good but who the hell or what is Woody Hole? New names for Jan and Milky? :scratch

This is the first video I've seen, that truly makes me appreciate how steep and Gnarly Pipeline is! Starting at 3:08....

Just catching up on some videos, that was a good one. I need to talk to someone who has done this event and figure out logistics. Sally said to go ahead and start putting my name in the lottery.

Just catching up on some videos, that was a good one. I need to talk to someone who has done this event and figure out logistics. Sally said to go ahead and start putting my name in the lottery.
31 years ago, but Jerry Young rode it. Daniel Blanc-Gonnet rode it in 2017. Kylee Sweeten rode it with her Dad that year, who has probably ridden it as much as any USA rider.

That sounds good but who the hell or what is Woody Hole? New names for Jan and Milky? :scratch
Steve Woody Hole is a ex British trials rider from the 80-90's, who went on to be an Enduro Downhill Mountain Bike Champion in 2015. He, Steve Colley, Jason Finn, and Rob Crawford were all a close knit group. Here he is riding the SSDT in the late 80's.

1648781987105.png

Steve Woody Hole is a ex British trials rider from the 80-90's, who went on to be an Enduro Downhill Mountain Bike Champion in 2015. He, Steve Colley, Jason Finn, and Rob Crawford were all a close knit group. Here he is riding the SSDT in the late 80's.

1648781987105.png
Ah, thanks for that!

I can probably hook you up with Jonathan if you like he has ridden it a bunch of times and is riding it this year. Getting bike support can be tricky but it depends on what you are riding. Jonathan has ridden Beta but is on GG this year.

I can probably hook you up with Jonathan if you like he has ridden it a bunch of times and is riding it this year. Getting bike support can be tricky but it depends on what you are riding. Jonathan has ridden Beta but is on GG this year.
I wouldn't think it would be tricky on bike support, especially if you are renting from the importers. If you did rent privately, borrow, or buy a bike over there, you just preregister with your credit card for the support package. You service your bike in the brand's work area, if spare parts or technical advice is needed they supply it . You get charged for the parts. I'd guess Yinzer Moto would rent a TRS from Steve Saunders the UK importer.

Personal support is another thing..... There is a mandatory lunch stop with food provided, and I've heard that Sandy Mack's wife is generous with energy bars and such for the gas stops. Other wise if you don't have a chase crew, you need to carry enough to drink, eat, and clothes along with you for the day. This in addition to tools and spares.

This guys videos are great.....

I wouldn't think it would be tricky on bike support, especially if you are renting from the importers. If you did rent privately, borrow, or buy a bike over there, you just preregister with your credit card for the support package. You service your bike in the brand's work area, if spare parts or technical advice is needed they supply it . You get charged for the parts. I'd guess Yinzer Moto would rent a TRS from Steve Saunders the UK importer.

Personal support is another thing..... There is a mandatory lunch stop with food provided, and I've heard that Sandy Mack's wife is generous with energy bars and such for the gas stops. Other wise if you don't have a chase crew, you need to carry enough to drink, eat, and clothes along with you for the day. This in addition to tools and spares.

That is good to know that rental bikes are available. I will shoot Steve a message. I was trying to work out in my head, how to take my bike apart and fit it in suitcases.

Sally would most likely provide some support, from a rental car.

I’ll watch the video now. Looks like he has 6 videos, I’ll que them all up in order. Thanks!

That is good to know that rental bikes are available. I will shoot Steve a message. I was trying to work out in my head, how to take my bike apart and fit it in suitcases.

Sally would most likely provide some support, from a rental car.

I’ll watch the video now. Looks like he has 6 videos, I’ll que them all up in order. Thanks!
I think the days of breaking down your bike as luggage is pretty much gone. Even if you did, you'd have the get a PA street registration and insurance to compete on it. I believe that SSDT organizers do have an event only insurance package available. Even back in '91 when Jerry Young rode it, he just rented a Beta from John Lampkin/Beta UK.

Yes you certainly wouldn't think it would be tricky - but sometimes people who have first hand experience can be very helpful to talk to. I think the issue this year was more related to the current GG situation in the UK but seems to have recently got sorted with respect to the SSDT and they are now stepping up (but pricey). I found it interesting that last time I was in a Trials shop in the UK they asked if I knew Jonathan - I suppose international riders are likely taken note of by the locals. Hoping to book my flight soon for this year and the plan is to be an observer for next year if I can.

Top Bottom Back Refresh