What's new

Seeking Advice: 950 Adventure Engine Trouble

AlmostLost

Member Number
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some advice from the motorcycle community.

I've got a 2004 KTM 950 Adventure that I really enjoy, which is one of two motorcycles and one of 6 other motorized off road toys. Recently during a ride, something in the engine made a not-so-good sound and the bike sounded like it was running on one cylinder (with what sounded like a completely slack cam chain). After pushing the bike home, I drained the oil and saw some light metal flakes in the oil (not a lot but there's definitely metal shavings in the oil). To my surprise there wasn't anything obvious that I could see behind the clutch or stator cover, or in the sump (I almost expected the cam chain to be in the sump).

So here's where I am seeking your advice. I have very little "me" time and not a lot of space. Part the bike out (it's about as nice as I've seen of these 950s), or find a way to buy a rebuilt engine?

I'd love to pull it apart and fix it, but I don't have the time or the space for that project.

So, What say you?

I've got a 2004 KTM 950 Adventure that I really enjoy, which is one of two motorcycles and one of 6 other motorized off road toys. Recently during a ride, something in the engine made a not-so-good sound and the bike sounded like it was running on one cylinder (with what sounded like a completely slack cam chain). After pushing the bike home, I drained the oil and saw some light metal flakes in the oil (not a lot but there's definitely metal shavings in the oil). To my surprise there wasn't anything obvious that I could see behind the clutch or stator cover, or in the sump (I almost expected the cam chain to be in the sump).

So here's where I am seeking your advice. I have very little "me" time and not a lot of space. Part the bike out (it's about as nice as I've seen of these 950s), or find a way to buy a rebuilt engine?

I'd love to pull it apart and fix it, but I don't have the time or the space for that project.

So, What say you?
How many miles on the bike?

If it were me, I would need proof positive of what the issue(s), prior to making a decision.

I currently own a 950se and these things can make unusual noises (say vs a jap bike).

Thanks for your suggestion. The bike has a little over 26k on it right now. They definitely do make some noise (in lots of ways).

I'd love to tear it apart, like I said. I just don't have the time or space.

If you don’t have the time or space to trouble shoot your 950, you don’t have the time or space to do an engine swap.
I’ve never parted out a bike, but that sounds more time consuming then trouble shooting is.
Kind of only leaves just selling it as damaged goods.
Not a great answer, but given the parameters of what your priorities are it might be your only option.
If you do get a chance to do some trouble shooting, look at the top end. I’ve had two LC 8’s that had bad cams.

If you don’t have the time or space to trouble shoot your 950, you don’t have the time or space to do an engine swap.
I’ve never parted out a bike, but that sounds more time consuming then trouble shooting is.
Kind of only leaves just selling it as damaged goods.
Not a great answer, but given the parameters of what your priorities are it might be your only option.
If you do get a chance to do some trouble shooting, look at the top end. I’ve had two LC 8’s that had bad cams.
Thanks for your input. I've thought about selling it as is, too. To be honest, I don't love the idea of it not being in the garage but a bike that doesn't run is probably worse in some ways.

What were the symptoms of bad cams when you had them go?

On the first one it was excessive valve noise, but I caught it maybe minutes before it dropped a valve.
the second one I caught early with no damage or symptom.

Might make sense to donate the bike and take a tax deduction?

Check the 950 how for other possible causes.

I wish I'd have caught whatever happened early like you did.
E225B7C3-4B0E-4720-9A2F-F476C0601699.jpeg
I didn’t catch my first one before it did damage, it just hadn’t gotten to the catastrophic stage.
This is what is left of the bucket that pairs with the failed cam lobe. It should have a smooth top not a hole.
On the bright side the bike got me back from Zihuatanejo
i new I had valve noise but didn’t know why till I toke it apart after I got home

E225B7C3-4B0E-4720-9A2F-F476C0601699.jpeg
I didn’t catch my first one before it did damage, it just hadn’t gotten to the catastrophic stage.
This is what is left of the bucket that pairs with the failed cam lobe. It should have a smooth top not a hole.
On the bright side the bike got me back from Zihuatanejo
i new I had valve noise but didn’t know why till I toke it apart after I got home
Wow. I'm amazed that it made it that far home without getting catastrophic!

My engine guy said it was minutes away from the cam wearing down into the valve Retainers and dropping a valve.
considering the last couple of hundred miles where at pretty high speed, catastrophic would be an apt description.

Wow. I'm amazed that it made it that far home without getting catastrophic!
I know nothing about these bikes. How hard is it to get the valve cover off to inspect the valve train?

So, What say you?
That's not good

Back
Top Bottom