What's new

Shinko 705 , tire thread ,( can't start an oil thread)

Worked well enough on River Rd.

681AFCAA-C19F-4F08-9ABE-E3DE8DDEFFCA.jpeg

And the Dempster too!

D28FDF13-02DD-4B6A-B19E-0FA131389D8F.jpeg

I switched from Continentals to 705's for my GSA a couple of years ago and I'm happy with them overall. At their price point, they can't be beat. I did notice though that the 150/70-R17 rear tire has gone from $93 last year to $125 this year.:yikes

Last edited:
Rain moved out , took the 1100r out with the new 705's for a 178 mile loop. I think they'll work out for me, much better than the PR4's on the dirt road. After about 100 miles I went thru some twisties that I rode at 80 on the PR4's , rode them at 70 on the 705's , could have taken them at 80. They seem to fall in a little faster and takes a little more effort to stand the bike back up, all and all , I think they are ok.

I switched from Continentals to 705's for my GSA a couple of years ago and I'm happy with them overall. At their price point, they can't be beat. I did notice though that the 150/70-R17 rear tire has gone from $93 last year to $125 this year.:yikes
Yeah usually its about $215-$225 for the tires and the six pack to put them on great for a lazy rainy afternoon :thumb

Tired.jpg
Proofofhotoshop.jpg

Both the big '08 GSA and the little '18 G310 run the same size tires, happy with performance on each. Wear on the rear GSA showing more than all the rest, not surprisingly.

Update on the 705's on the r1150r. They do ok on dirt roads, I was surprised how well they do on pavement.

Rode for a week in WV and drug the sides of my boots several times in the curves, they stuck plenty good for my riding skills. I have about 2,500 miles on them , front tire shows almost no wear, rear is about half worn out. For now they are my go to tire.

I used to run Shinko's but after the day I got 2 front flats I swore never again on my 640. The Tiger 800 I was on last spring had Shinko's and the rear was cracking around the knobs. I ended up going with Kenda's on that one. For myself I will not buy Shinko's again, the quality is just not there in my opinion.

Update on the 705's on the r1150r. They do ok on dirt roads, I was surprised how well they do on pavement.

Rode for a week in WV and drug the sides of my boots several times in the curves, they stuck plenty good for my riding skills. I have about 2,500 miles on them , front tire shows almost no wear, rear is about half worn out. For now they are my go to tire.

The fronts last forever but get noisy as the miles pile up. The most mileage I ever got out of rear was 6K. I have had 3 rears delaminate. YMMV

I've been running them on the rear of a couple 1100gs for years with no delam problems , yet:dirtdog. I get 4500- 6k out of a rear. My son gets 2-3k outta a rear, he rides logging roads at a high rate of speed.

I used to run Shinko's but after the day I got 2 front flats I swore never again on my 640. The Tiger 800 I was on last spring had Shinko's and the rear was cracking around the knobs. I ended up going with Kenda's on that one. For myself I will not buy Shinko's again, the quality is just not there in my opinion.
Were those cracking 705's?

I run kenda on the front of the 1100gs's

I ran 705s on my R1200GS. Never had a problem, so I put one on the back of my Himalayan. Seems to be just at least as good as the factory installed Pirelli.

In the early days of 705's I had two rears delaminate on my KLR and one rear delaminate on my Super Tenere. All three were roughly 75% used up when they failed. I have used a few fronts with no issues.

I like the 705's except for wishing the rears lasted longer.

For the price , and the grip, I don't mind 4-6K.

I live on a Poorly maintained dirt road ,705's do ok on it, and good on pavement

Back
Top Bottom