What's new

Shinko 705 , tire thread ,( can't start an oil thread)

south east okie

ADV+
Member Number
Anybody running these on a GS, R ,RT , any bike weighing over 400 lbs?

I just spooned a set on a R1150R, hoping to handle the 8 miles of poorly maintained dirt road I live on. Rained all day so I haven't tried them. I just wore out a set of Pilot Road 4's that stuck like glue on pavement , and slid like snot on dirt. I'm hoping for a 'happy medium" with the 705's

I run them on a Versys, so not quite as big as yours but still definitly over 400lb. street I really like them sticks well in the corners, super predictable nearing the limit of grip, and reasonably good offroad, sucks in sand but hard pack I quite like it for the most part :thumb

705 is my default tire, i’ve run the on a Tiger, a Street Triple, a DR, and now a Versys. It’s a great dry and rain tire. I do find them a little slippy in thick mud and pea gravel. They did much better than I thought in Sand out west.

The roads I ride on to get pavement have a lot of pea to marble sized gravel. I ride 8 miles of it to get to the closest pavement, about 30 miles if I'm going north. The Pilot Road 4's were scary.

I have a 1100gs that I'm running 705 rear,,Kenda Big Block Paver front. That combo is "ok" on dirt good on pavement. I would run the same combo on the 1150r if Kenda made the BBP in a 17"

Last edited:
I had a set that came on a KLR I had for a while. Apparently they last forever, otherwise I didn't have any fondness for them. Meaningless off pavement, and the most slippery tire I've ever ridden on cold or wet pavement. That's the only tire I've ever locked up on a cold road, and typically you have to work at it pretty hard to get KLR brakes to lock up.

The 700 series ran quieter and went better everywhere, by a large margin. They'll go 5,000 miles pretty easy. I'm not sure, but I think you can only get the fronts in 21".

I wanted to try a 80/20 tire on the 1150r to see how it handles on dirt road.

I don't know about the lasting , I have a couple or 1100gs's , my son has taken over one of them. A 705 on the rear last him about 2k miles, I get 4-5k . He rides waaay hared than I do. Tourance last him about 2k also, I get 4-5k outta those also.

I had a set that came on a KLR I had for a while. Apparently they last forever, otherwise I didn't have any fondness for them. Meaningless off pavement, and the most slippery tire I've ever ridden on cold or wet pavement. That's the only tire I've ever locked up on a cold road, and typically you have to work at it pretty hard to get KLR brakes to lock up.

The 700 series ran quieter and went better everywhere, by a large margin. They'll go 5,000 miles pretty easy. I'm not sure, but I think you can only get the fronts in 21".
You can get fronts in 17":ricky
nc_ohc=AQNFStTYXoUAX8uvj9R&_nc_ht=scontent.fmci2-1.jpg

A couple miles of sand road to reach the blacktop. Preferred tire is 804/5, ran the 705 before that. Vstrom, GS, 955 Tiger.

I'm putting the 705's on a r1150r , I didn't find a 804/805 front tire in 120/70 17 . The 17" front tire kinda limits the "dual sport" selection

I try to avoid mud with the r :-)

If these 705's handle the dirt a lot better than the PR4's did I might go with a tkc70 on the front.

Some folks are saying the 705 front handles kinda weird on the boxers, some are saying they're great. When the rain moves out of here I'll give it test run of a couple hundred miles.

I try to avoid mud with the r :-)

If these 705's handle the dirt a lot better than the PR4's did I might go with a tkc70 on the front.

Some folks are saying the 705 front handles kinda weird on the boxers, some are saying they're great. When the rain moves out of here I'll give it test run of a couple hundred miles.
705's no problem on these bikes! One of em is a boxer....

DSCF0096.jpg

Hell Yeah SandRdr !!

No weird handling issues ?
That pic was taken during a 10k mile, 2 month long trip where we ran only 705s. No tire issues or weirdness, lots of off road out west. One flat, had just come off 20ish miles of 2track near Green River WY, pulling onto pavement rear breaks loose an she spun the bead pretty good. Could not get the bead to seat even using all the top secret methods! Off to town and found a small MC shop advertising their new tire machine! Called the owner who came in, it was Sunday, took both of us over 2hrs to get bead to seat even with machine. He wouldn't take a nickel for the effort, said he learned some new techniques!

Back
Top Bottom